ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Van use on break
-
delfranklin1969
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
Not thought about this before but sometimes I work in an office in the town where my mum lives and I have gone off route to take my comfort break at hers, is this allowed???
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Van use on break
Strictly speaking you shouldn't for 2 reasons, the toilet stops needs to be made official, and you are technically off route. But in most sensible cases nothing would be made of it. I would suggest making it an official welfare stop though, just in case.delfranklin1969 wrote:Not thought about this before but sometimes I work in an office in the town where my mum lives and I have gone off route to take my comfort break at hers, is this allowed???
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4201
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
Some duties in our office have designated "comfort breaks"
I don't see anything wrong with using the toilet at someone's house if its nearby either; particularly if the alternative means driving back to the depot and back out on delivery takes you well over time.
I don't see anything wrong with using the toilet at someone's house if its nearby either; particularly if the alternative means driving back to the depot and back out on delivery takes you well over time.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
delfranklin1969
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
Yeah I see your point, not something I have thought of before tbh, however sometimes I have done some lapsing at the cul de sac where my mum lives so that would be ok I assume as I would not be technically off route.
-
southcoastpat
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 09 Jan 2010, 10:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
What about the "nip down to maccy d's for me please or on your way back in can you get me some fags/milk/newspaper etc" which is what happens in our mc.
It seems that some "off route" things are ok with managers but then they tell you in WTLL that we must save fuel whenever possible
It seems that some "off route" things are ok with managers but then they tell you in WTLL that we must save fuel whenever possible
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
I've drove off route to go use a toilet & to go get sandwich occassionally. Neither have been massively out of the way but still off route none the less as neither places are calls on the delivery. Wonder what they'd prefer, having me drive off route to use a toilet in their van or risk being caught pissing in someones bushes but of course remaining on route. 
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely? 
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
What if a member of the public sees you and reports your van for suspected theft of pallets. If RM wanted to get funny they could say you are bringing their reputation into disrepute.dave72 wrote:I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely?
-
Pinky 1
- Posts: 1510
- Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Wales
Re: Van use on break
...... or if you have an RTA on the way back, how do you explain that to the Plod or your manager ?norm wrote:What if a member of the public sees you and reports your van for suspected theft of pallets. If RM wanted to get funny they could say you are bringing their reputation into disrepute.dave72 wrote:I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely?
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Van use on break
The van holds the road better with some 'ballast' in the back.Pinky 1 wrote:...... or if you have an RTA on the way back, how do you explain that to the Plod or your manager ?norm wrote:What if a member of the public sees you and reports your van for suspected theft of pallets. If RM wanted to get funny they could say you are bringing their reputation into disrepute.dave72 wrote:I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely?
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
At least one of the 14 plate Fiats at my office has a sticker below the latch on the drivers door frame saying "This vehicle is fitted with TVG equipment". I noticed it one day as I was getting it, so looked at the web address given on said sticker. The Vehicle Group has several product lines, however given we don't have reversing cameras, driving cameras, sideways blindspot sensors or "engine run without a key" fitted I'd guess it was their telemetry system that's installed?PHARRY wrote:There are no trackers being fitted at allunhappyCumbria wrote:He won't be able to do that for much longer, once those nice lil tracker devices get fitted in the vans![]()
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
Nobody can see me doing it, I pull in to a barn and the farmer helps me load them up hahanorm wrote:What if a member of the public sees you and reports your van for suspected theft of pallets. If RM wanted to get funny they could say you are bringing their reputation into disrepute.dave72 wrote:I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely?
Might have a word with my line manager
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Van use on break
When you unload them at home? Nosy neighbour or passer-by all it takes is one phonecall.dave72 wrote: Nobody can see me doing it, I pull in to a barn and the farmer helps me load them up haha