ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by arnold cheshire »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Decky Boy wrote: I make a concerted effort with the new hand stampers recently issued to us
Do you really stand on peoples doorsteps and get out your stamper? i strike a mark with a pen
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by Tman »

very significant when someone very close to me could be very upset by your so called off the cuff remark.also think it is a very crude remark to make then again we all treat comments differently wheter right or wrong.
So even though you acknowledge that " we all treat comments differently" you still felt the need to be upset on someone else's behalf even though it appears that they haven't even read it and there's no malicious content anyway?
The 21st century phenomenon of people desperate to be offended.... :so there
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by NewPostieUK »

I has never occurred to me to even look at the stamp, or even register if there is one. When I'm at the doorstep, my sole focus is on reading the address and weeding out damned missorts. There could be a rude drawing of the queen and I wouldn't notice.
pauljacks
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by pauljacks »

Tman wrote:
So even though you acknowledge that " we all treat comments differently" you still felt the need to be upset on someone else's behalf even though it appears that they haven't even read it and there's no malicious content anyway?
The 21st century phenomenon of people desperate to be offended.... :so there
So if someone on here suggests that your wife/girlfriend /boyfriend was worse than a tw*t, you wouldn't be offended? :shock:

You didnt answer my question. What did you mean?
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by Gold Fox »

Don not cancel postage stamps at delivery office ..... its mail centre task to do so ... if done by delivery staff then you are doing MC staff out of job.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by bustedflush »

Tman wrote:
very significant when someone very close to me could be very upset by your so called off the cuff remark.also think it is a very crude remark to make then again we all treat comments differently wheter right or wrong.
So even though you acknowledge that " we all treat comments differently" you still felt the need to be upset on someone else's behalf even though it appears that they haven't even read it and there's no malicious content anyway?
The 21st century phenomenon of people desperate to be offended.... :so there
Unfortunately I agree. There is a new breed of person evolving from our wimping, spineless PC society and that is the 'professional umbrage-taker'.

Ready to profess offence taken, even when it's obvious to 99% of readers there is merely humour intended or tongue-in-cheek. This new breed has taken over social media and the press with the advent of the internet age the way cockroaches will readily take over a kitchen where scraps are left on the floor.

Their encouragement lies in stories of jailings, prosecutions and careers/lives ruined by one misplaced or hacked comment. The possibility of these serious consequences for others acts a fuel to them, a sense of empowerment in their otherwise anonymous lives.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12202
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Gold Fox wrote:Don not cancel postage stamps at delivery office ..... its mail centre task to do so ... if done by delivery staff then you are doing MC staff out of job.
Many MCs don't have the staff to do it, where so many hours have been cut, they probably only just clear as it is
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by DB1100 »

bustedflush wrote:
Tman wrote:
very significant when someone very close to me could be very upset by your so called off the cuff remark.also think it is a very crude remark to make then again we all treat comments differently wheter right or wrong.
So even though you acknowledge that " we all treat comments differently" you still felt the need to be upset on someone else's behalf even though it appears that they haven't even read it and there's no malicious content anyway?
The 21st century phenomenon of people desperate to be offended.... :so there
Unfortunately I agree. There is a new breed of person evolving from our wimping, spineless PC society and that is the 'professional umbrage-taker'.

Ready to profess offence taken, even when it's obvious to 99% of readers there is merely humour intended or tongue-in-cheek. This new breed has taken over social media and the press with the advent of the internet age the way cockroaches will readily take over a kitchen where scraps are left on the floor.

Their encouragement lies in stories of jailings, prosecutions and careers/lives ruined by one misplaced or hacked comment. The possibility of these serious consequences for others acts a fuel to them, a sense of empowerment in their otherwise anonymous lives.
I agree,let's have a minutes silence in case anyone who knows someone who might be offended and can we lay flowers somewhere please.
For we were soldiers once,and young
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by 5plusbonusball »

All down to lazy management.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
pauljacks
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by pauljacks »

bustedflush wrote: Unfortunately I agree. There is a new breed of person evolving from our wimping, spineless PC society and that is the 'professional umbrage-taker'.
Yeah, but that's not the same as being upset at stupid, ignorant comments if you have a relative or a friend who has special needs or some close to you who does, is it?
Ready to profess offence taken, even when it's obvious to 99% of readers there is merely humour intended or tongue-in-cheek.


Then I guess they don't have family/friends who have special needs or maybe they do and they just don't care if Tman says they're worse than tw*ts.
Whats funny about that? Why did you find it so funny?
Jokes are funny if they not about you , and there's a difference between laughing with someone and laughing at them.
a sense of empowerment in their otherwise anonymous lives.
and that's why people mock others who they perceive to be weaker, less able and less intelligent than themselves.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by Tman »

Jeez, a whole point/thread built on (what you want to believe is) a slight.
Mr Flush etc are clearly correct with their previous points, so shall we hold hands and all think of a smiley face now? :whistle
{Oh no, in not taking your ersatz hurt seriously I've probably transgressed your human rights to feel aggrieved about something/anything.
Oh well.... :cuppa }
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Well as a son of someone who, after a recent stroke, now needs "Care in the Community" I am not offended, but I am certainly saddened that its apparently acceptable to use such a description as a put down, whether or not it was meant as light hearted. But it wasn't meant as a personal put down so I can brush it off.

Perhaps Black people shouldn't be offended by racist jokes, perhaps women shouldn't be offended by sexists jokes. Now don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for crude jokes, even I am guilty of telling them. But would you find it acceptable to say it in mixed company in the real world, that's the filter I use when posting on a public forum. Perhaps not everyone does.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by bustedflush »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Well as a son of someone who, after a recent stroke, now needs "Care in the Community" I am not offended, but I am certainly saddened that its apparently acceptable to use such a description as a put down, whether or not it was meant as light hearted. But it wasn't meant as a personal put down so I can brush it off.

Perhaps Black people shouldn't be offended by racist jokes, perhaps women shouldn't be offended by sexists jokes. Now don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for crude jokes, even I am guilty of telling them. But would you find it acceptable to say it in mixed company in the real world, that's the filter I use when posting on a public forum. Perhaps not everyone does.

When I was little there was no 'care in the community' label, the term then was 'certifying'. On occasion when I had had a dumb idea or said something stupid my ma often said 'you must need certifying' blah blah. It was quite a common expression, always meant as quip. I never recall anybody being that offended.

I think the point Tman makes is that this new breed of 'umbrage-taker' quite frequently has an underlying unpleasantness to their personality, often of a far greater magnitude than the alleged offending words/statement had.
pauljacks
Posts: 8
Joined: 16 Nov 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by pauljacks »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Well as a son of someone who, after a recent stroke, now needs "Care in the Community" I am not offended, but I am certainly saddened that its apparently acceptable to use such a description as a put down, whether or not it was meant as light hearted. But it wasn't meant as a personal put down so I can brush it off.
I'm sorry to hear your dad had a stroke.
Tman said " or worse, some sort of Care in the Community special needs type of person... " so I don't think he meant people like your dad. Care in the community was originally introduced to help people with mental illness such as schizophrenia to be able to live in their own homes rather than a mental institution. Special needs/learning difficulties covers a wide spectrum of mental/physical disabilities that includes Down's Syndrome and Autism. It's an assumption that all Downs people have low intelligence and that all autistics are like Rainman. My friend's son has "learning difficulties". He went to a special school and then to college and gained two A levels . I bet he has more qualifications than some people on this forum and that includes me.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Dumb questions about stamps on letters/packets

Post by aiden01 »

pauljacks wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Well as a son of someone who, after a recent stroke, now needs "Care in the Community" I am not offended, but I am certainly saddened that its apparently acceptable to use such a description as a put down, whether or not it was meant as light hearted. But it wasn't meant as a personal put down so I can brush it off.
I'm sorry to hear your dad had a stroke.
Tman said " or worse, some sort of Care in the Community special needs type of person... " so I don't think he meant people like your dad. Care in the community was originally introduced to help people with mental illness such as schizophrenia to be able to live in their own homes rather than a mental institution. Special needs/learning difficulties covers a wide spectrum of mental/physical disabilities that includes Down's Syndrome and Autism. It's an assumption that all Downs people have low intelligence and that all autistics are like Rainman. My friend's son has "learning difficulties". He went to a special school and then to college and gained two A levels . I bet he has more qualifications than some people on this forum and that includes me.
:Applause :Applause :Applause