ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bustedflush wrote: And it's not as easy for females to have a quick disguised one as it is for a man.
Actually with a new invention discrete peeing for females is possible, even standing http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00200LO7Q/? ... dx0ekwnt_e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, as said before there are other sanitary considerations males don't have to consider, and would any father, or mother expect their daughter to knock on a strangers door as a matter of course. :hmmmm

Also calling back to the DO when you need the toilet in those circumstances is allowed and could open a can of worms if it was refused.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
bustedflush wrote: And it's not as easy for females to have a quick disguised one as it is for a man.
Actually with a new invention discrete peeing for females is possible, even standing http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00200LO7Q/? ... dx0ekwnt_e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, as said before there are other sanitary considerations males don't have to consider, and would any father, or mother expect their daughter to knock on a strangers door as a matter of course. :hmmmm

Also calling back to the DO when you need the toilet in those circumstances is allowed and could open a can of worms if it was refused.
I can just see me whipping one of those out in the middle of the housing estate I work on TrueBlueTerrier :wink: .
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by korky »

this thread just reminded of an old bag drop point "forward slash" toilet.
the owner cancelled it because of pebble dash :left:

not me either!
matthew68
Posts: 518
Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by matthew68 »

Izzy wrote:The only solution is to drink less. I have milky porridge and coffee for breakfast and then no liquid until I finish my walk or on a hot day I have some water in the last hour or two of my walk. It is hard to do the indoor 6.30 - 9.30am without a tea or coffee but it is doable. I take an empty bottle on delivery (no weight) and then on hot days ask a customer for some tap water towards the end of the walk.

When I started 15 years ago I occasionally asked a customer. I felt very uncomfortable invading people's homes. After one unsavoury experience too many I decided on the above policy. On most days you won't be remotely near the dehydration that is a health issue. It's just hard to go without the mental boost of a hot drink during prep.
thats crazy you are prepared to get dehydrated which could result in you collapsing or worse just to avoid going to the loo, this is a normal fiction and they should provide a toilet stop on every walk they force you to take a break in the van which is unhygienic yet can't provide a place to go to the loo and wash your hands it's about time the union sorted this out properly as I am now refusing to have break in van I simply have it when I get back
Anonymouse
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 174
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by Anonymouse »

I'd feel so awkward knocking on someone's door to use the toilet.

I've been on a few rounds where we've had to drive to a school or a supermarket to use the toilet. Luckily my own round now has a doctors, 3 pubs and a library.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Whatever happened to every walk having at least one public toilet on it, provided by a pub etc.?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32811
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by POSTMAN »

This conference notes that under the RM/CWU Single Daily Delivery and Delivery
Methods Agreements, toilet/welfare stops should be identified on all delivery’s,
and displayed in the walk log file map for each delivery.
However this process is currently failing the welfare needs of both female and
male employee’s, of the most basic human need, whilst out on long delivery
spans, making very difficult uncomfortable working conditions for our members.
This issue causes female workers obvious additional health/welfare issues.
We need to highlight the following:
1. Current failures to identify suitable toilet/welfare facilities in a public or
business premise.
2. Not building the adequate times into the duty structures to allow
employees to use identified toilet stops.
This conference instructs the WAC to work with the Outdoor and Health & Safety
department, to ensure that as part of the “Area Safety Rep’s” sign off of delivery
revisions, adequate toilet/welfare facilities are identified, and time to use these
facilities are included in the duty structure.
http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... A_2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32811
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by POSTMAN »

Welfare facilities & Toilets
Due to the potential for delivery staff to be away from their unit for extended periods of time
it is necessary to ensure there is suitable and sufficient access to welfare facilities particularly
sanitary conveniences. Access to toilets is a human right – doing without is not an option and
where there are no toilets available on the delivery walk or adjacent delivery walks then a
return to the unit is necessary.
This is from 2007,when the del spn was max 3:30
http://www.cwu.org/assets/_files/docume ... e_Load.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32811
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by POSTMAN »

3.Health and Safety

a)Single deliveries will be introduced to provide all delivery employees with a fair and manageable workload whilst fully safeguarding welfare and safety.

b)Royal Mail and CWU will ensure that the introduction of a single delivery system is compliant with Health and Safety legislation and its requirements. The Area Safety Manager and local/area CWU safety representatives will be available, when necessary, to provide advice and support in line with their normal roles to assist in implementing the following:

Undertake risk assessment, as detailed in the 12 Step Revision process, for each walk to ensure all health and safety requirements and regulations have been applied, with toilet and welfare facilities in the vicinity identified at step 3 of the revision process. The risk assessment process will also consider the needs of any individuals during the duty selection process.
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=11546" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You get the drift.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by Flashman_ »

This is a problem that apparently was not taken seriously by the Union or RM when the whole dumb idea of Park and loop was negotiated.

Legally employees are entitled to loo breaks, and at least a 20 minute break away from their workplace. Managers have ignored building in any loo breaks into our latest revision, and not given any answer as to where my official comfort break is supposed to be. I gave up asking in the end.
As for trying to get a 20 minute break away from your van, where for obvious hygiene reasons you need to have washing facilities, well you can forget that, because to fulfil that legal requirement realistically, you should return to the office for all breaks, where the proper facilities exist.
The Union failed to protect these rights when it recommended this cr**p system, to be accepted without first ensuring these rights would not be compromised
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by dave72 »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Whatever happened to every walk having at least one public toilet on it, provided by a pub etc.?
Really?

I have no pubs, shops, community centres, doctors, shops or schools on my round. What do I do?

Suppose, all of those farmers fields or the woodlands will have to do....
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dave72 wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Whatever happened to every walk having at least one public toilet on it, provided by a pub etc.?
Really?

I have no pubs, shops, community centres, doctors, shops or schools on my round. What do I do?
You return to the office, its in the agreements and its the law. They have to provide toilet facilities, the method they chose is up to them and returning to the office would be the only one they could legally adopt.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by motherhubbard »

I miss brothermagrew.
For it was he who first pointed me in the direction of the mooncup.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by trythat »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
dave72 wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Whatever happened to every walk having at least one public toilet on it, provided by a pub etc.?
Really?

I have no pubs, shops, community centres, doctors, shops or schools on my round. What do I do?
You return to the office, its in the agreements and its the law. They have to provide toilet facilities, the method they chose is up to them and returning to the office would be the only one they could legally adopt.
Your Walk log should tell you where toilet stops are, as most have said, if none then return to DO. OPG's should get their H&S rep on it, if none get office rep and area H&S rep involved. Don't let RM walk all over you, it's the law, needs to be done when a revision is being done, so really there is no excuse for not having it in the walk log.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Re: Loo Breaks for Postwomen?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Thanks for your replies. I have come to some sort of compromise whereby my partner who I share a van with will come and pick me up and take me to the supermarket mid-morning. I can't go 5 hours without a wee! Today I felt like I shouldn't be drinking my water as it would be deemed to be not helping myself :oops: .