ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Worn out!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Worn out!

Post by feduppostie »

I think it is time people stop moaning and do the job properly

How many of the 'young lads complaining about busted knees etc' use trolley's? How many come in on their time, take their breaks, only take 1/5 D2d a day?

How many walk round at a sensible place and wear official footwear instead of trainers?

How many of any of the people that are exhausted do this?

Now granted there may be some and I am not saying this is not a physical job - it is - but it is a hellavu lot less physically demanding if you use your trolley and accept you work your hours and are not bothered about finishing early or working all the overtime you can!!!

And for those that say if I did all this I wouldn't have time to finish my duty everday - THAT IS THE FECKING POINT!
da'bunny
Posts: 239
Joined: 08 May 2007, 20:47

Re: Worn out!

Post by da'bunny »

As ive mentioned many times before at my office we work 6 days a week with no rotating day off or a week off every 6th week.
Ever since getting rid of bikes the amount of people of sick has rocketed! The amount with back problems (myself included) and foot problems is unbelievable and yes we do use the trolleys (probably a contributing factor the back and foot problems)!
The trolleys are hard to push along even on slight slopes! and the amount of dead walking surely wont help your feet.
We walk at least 8 miles a day (worn pedometers that prove this) That's 48 miles a week!! More than a marathon! and in all weathers and don't tell me wear waterproofs, I do and they are good as useless! That's not healthy at all :sad: :arrrghhh
Just say NO ....to the new agreement.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Worn out!

Post by daveyeff »

how do you come to be working 6 days a week? is it not national agreement to work 5. what are your hours for full time/part time staff?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Worn out!

Post by Postie45 »

da'bunny wrote:As ive mentioned many times before at my office we work 6 days a week with no rotating day off or a week off every 6th week.
Ever since getting rid of bikes the amount of people of sick has rocketed! The amount with back problems (myself included) and foot problems is unbelievable and yes we do use the trolleys (probably a contributing factor the back and foot problems)!
The trolleys are hard to push along even on slight slopes! and the amount of dead walking surely wont help your feet.
We walk at least 8 miles a day (worn pedometers that prove this) That's 48 miles a week!! More than a marathon! and in all weathers and don't tell me wear waterproofs, I do and they are good as useless! That's not healthy at all :sad: :arrrghhh
6 days ? what are your hours per week or per day ? is the 6th day overtime ?
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Worn out!

Post by feduppostie »

we also do a 6 day week, 3 week on, one week off

52 hours a week for full timers pro rata for the rest

we LOVE it
da'bunny
Posts: 239
Joined: 08 May 2007, 20:47

Re: Worn out!

Post by da'bunny »

Saturday is COMPULSORY SA. Due to some stupid local agreement :sad: I HATE it with a passion and there is no chance to opt out (ive tried many times). We do not get any "nth" week off :evil/mad
Just say NO ....to the new agreement.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Worn out!

Post by Bahia Feliz »

da'bunny wrote:Saturday is COMPULSORY SA. Due to some stupid local agreement :sad: I HATE it with a passion and there is no chance to opt out (ive tried many times). We do not get any "nth" week off :evil/mad
What a load of crap,Compulsary S/A,huh! Please name your office so we can investigate further!
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Worn out!

Post by rambo1 »

feduppostie wrote:I think it is time people stop moaning and do the job properly

How many of the 'young lads complaining about busted knees etc' use trolley's? How many come in on their time, take their breaks, only take 1/5 D2d a day?

How many walk round at a sensible place and wear official footwear instead of trainers?

How many of any of the people that are exhausted do this?

Now granted there may be some and I am not saying this is not a physical job - it is - but it is a hellavu lot less physically demanding if you use your trolley and accept you work your hours and are not bothered about finishing early or working all the overtime you can!!!

And for those that say if I did all this I wouldn't have time to finish my duty everday - THAT IS THE FECKING POINT!
IMHO wearing official footwear is more likely to injure your feet, ankles, knees, hips and then back, than wearing a good pair of shoes designed for walking or even running (not that you should be running). I worked out the other day that between now and retirement (15yrs), I will walk the equivalent of twice around the world, or circa 30,000 miles! I for one would not choose to buy the crap rmg give us for such a task!
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Worn out!

Post by feduppostie »

rubbish! I have worn Doc Marten's since I started 18 years ago and have no foot, ankle or knee problems because they are good shoes! Yes they take some breaking in but I do that at home

The choice of shoes may have a bearing granted but you can't beat a good old pair of docs!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Worn out!

Post by Postie45 »

da'bunny wrote:Saturday is COMPULSORY SA. Due to some stupid local agreement :sad: I HATE it with a passion and there is no chance to opt out (ive tried many times). We do not get any "nth" week off :evil/mad
so your contract has this in it ? i highly doubt it can include compulsory overtime...
If these hours are not in your contract then guess what, its not compulsory.
Maybe go the CWU area rep if you are having problems with the local one.