ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Doors of Culkey community post office shut after 144 years

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Doors of Culkey community post office shut after 144 years

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://fermanaghherald.com/2015/08/door ... 144-years/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FOR 144 years it has been at the heart of a small community – but last week Culkey post office closed its doors for the final time.

Operating from inside a family home passed down through the generations, the post office became home and work for Shirley Johnston (nee Walsh), along with her husband Ivor.

There, they raised five children: Gordon, Mervyn, Jeffrey, Gary and Niall. And for over 50 years, Shirley has worked in the tiny post office in her home.

Her time and dedication were recognised earlier this year when she was awarded a British Empire Medal.

But, as of last Tuesday – the post office facility moved from a small part of her home to Reilly’s Spar at Scaffog.

Her grandfather, William George Walsh opened the post office back in 1871. It was passed on to Shirley’s uncle, William Robert Walsh or ‘Bob’ – and then to her brother, William George Walsh.

Shirley set up home at the cottage in 1961 aged 23, and from that point took on the role of sub post-mistress.

She explained: “We settled here in 1961, Gordon was only six weeks old at the time. So I have been working at the post office 54 years in July. The post office was carried through the family.

“It just became a way of life,” she added.

The post office covered a radius of around a mile and a half – and up until close to 25 years ago, had its own postmen. They were Pat Ward and Allan Price, the latter who was killed by the IRA on a postal round in 1983.

In for particular mention from Shirley was postman George Fawcett from Rushin. He also clocked up 54 years.

“He was a rural postman at Culkey from 1904 until 1958, equalling 54 years,” she explained,

“He covered 20 miles per day on the postal rounds. Firstly by foot, and later by bicycle. In all those years it was 330,000 miles.”

Rural post offices like Shirley faced the same changes as their bigger counterparts.

“The big changes were that it was all by ledgers and book work, and pension dockets. Then it changed to computers and it was the post office card that people switched to: that was around 2000,” Shirley said.

“It is a tiny office, but all the equipment fitted in well enough and it was as operational as any post office. It did the same transactions as anywhere else.”

While she was given the choice, aged 77, Shirley felt that the time was right to let the post office go.

“I definitely enjoyed it – it had it’s ups and downs and you had the responsibility too. Then there’s always that element of maybe being robbed.

“It was my decision: They let me make the decision whether I’d want to carry on or not. I think at my age it was good.”

And will she miss it?

“I don’t think I will: You know when it’s time to quit. I have a farm, I have a lot of hobbies: I have a boat that I’ll maybe get out on more. Maybe we’ll have a nicer Autumn, it hasn’t been a great year for boating. And hopefully we’ll all keep in contact with the people we’ve met.”

With a keen interest in poetry, music and painting – as well as 11 grandchildren – there is certainly plenty to keep Shirley busy.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Doors of Culkey community post office shut after 144 yea

Post by NWpostie »

And decent pay off no doubt, good for her, I reckon she jumped at the right time.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Doors of Culkey community post office shut after 144 yea

Post by arnold cheshire »

NWpostie wrote:And decent pay off no doubt, good for her, I reckon she jumped at the right time.
26 months pay off ?
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Doors of Culkey community post office shut after 144 yea

Post by NWpostie »

arnold cheshire wrote:
NWpostie wrote:And decent pay off no doubt, good for her, I reckon she jumped at the right time.
26 months pay off ?
and avoided an audit that could have found phantom losses due to a clunky Horizon system as had happened to other Postmasters.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.