ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Is the grass greener?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by Acca Dacca »

Gilly856 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
buntin wrote:agree with the comment above . i left and wished i hadnt. Returned back to being a postie after 5 years . The job is a piece of piss in my opinion but possibly that depends at what office you work at and the manager you work under i suppose. i definately wouldnt call it a stressful job in my opinion and its quite well paid i think for what you do.

Stress wise, its the easiest and least stressful job I have had - even on busy days.

However, for strenuous effort over a long and sustained period - I'd say its near the top.[/quot
Fair comment and true bu why would you piss in your boots hat????e]
Oh great!

ANOTHER effin thread you've managed to find to post the same shite in.

Sad act.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by Tman »

Judging by the sheer amount of numb-nuts who actually believe it is greener outside, then suddenly reappear in an agency hi-viz, clearly in reality it isn't.
Pension, paid sick, paid holidays and union recognition are rare for those at the bottom of the heap these days.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by wacko74 »

The job isn't mentally stressful in itself, but the fact that it is so physically demanding leaving you too warn out to do pretty much anything in your free time must have an effect on peoples mental well being.
iHateD2Ds
Posts: 548
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by iHateD2Ds »

I believe people make the job stressful themselves and stuck with their mind set of the good old days.

Yes,time has changed the job, long are gone the days when I would be home at Dinner time with the rest of the day to spend as I liked, now its more like Tea time with much less spare time!

Yes,the job is boring( very boring) but then its always been boring, its just that we are working more hours of the day being bored!

But then I think of the alternatives of unskilled manual work out there and I then I think Ill stay put.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by Nondescript »

Tman wrote:Judging by the sheer amount of numb-nuts who actually believe it is greener outside, then suddenly reappear in an agency hi-viz, clearly in reality it isn't.
Pension, paid sick, paid holidays and union recognition are rare for those at the bottom of the heap these days.
Don't you get bored of wheeling out this tired old lie every few months? I worked at one of the largest delivery offices in the country for a number of years and saw a lot of people leave during that time. Not a single one of them "reappeared in an agency hi-viz", so please stop making patently untrue bollocks up.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by Tman »

So you haven't noticed it or aren't aware of it happening? That doesn't make it a "lie" in any sense of the word, except in the logic of your "I'm right and you're wrong" world.
Are you saying there aren't any posties who've regretted leaving?
Strong bull
Posts: 120
Joined: 17 May 2012, 10:34
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by Strong bull »

If its really that bad of a job why do most of the fulltimers work there days off any overtime they can get thus stopping part timers getting any and certainly no chance of full time contracts.

I actually quite enjoy my job and certainty had worse jobs.We get good pay, good holidays, sick pay from day one, paid breaks etc.never got home so early in any job ive had.could do with a few more hours (im on 27 hours)but thats unlikely to happen.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by Judgee »

Strong bull wrote:If its really that bad of a job why do most of the fulltimers work there days off any overtime they can get thus stopping part timers getting any and certainly no chance of full time contracts.

I think you'll find that's called having bills to pay, not because they love the job! :roll:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by coxie »

I leave this week, going to be a train driver for double the money, training for about a year but decent pay while training
Wuku
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 21
Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by Wuku »

I have recently left RM on IHR, and feel as though a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders. After almost 3 decades, I have had enough. My ankles and feet have given up, my mental health got worse, and I got so bored of the same thing day in day out, and working Saturdays. I guess only time will tell wether I've made a good or bad decision, but I don't miss the place one bit. I hope I don't ever have to go back( if that's even possible if you have left on IHR?) and have no intention to, but who knows what the future holds. For the time being, I am going to relax and recover on the payout I received, before worrying about what's next. Royal Mail offers a lot of stability, true, and I'm nervous about the future, but you have to weigh up how happy you are in your self and in your life.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32811
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by POSTMAN »

Isn't the minimum wage going up quite a lot in the next few years.That would make a lot more jobs more attractive.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by Nondescript »

Tman wrote:So you haven't noticed it or aren't aware of it happening? That doesn't make it a "lie" in any sense of the word, except in the logic of your "I'm right and you're wrong" world.
Are you saying there aren't any posties who've regretted leaving?
I'm sure in some messed up alternate universe a "sheer amount of numb-nuts" pack the job in and then re-appear in agency hi-vizzes with tales of post-RM woe, just not in this one. :thumbup
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by Tman »

As the ostrich believes "if I can't see it then it can't be happening.." :cuppa
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Think we need to clarify FT jobs against PT jobs.

I can earn a lot more sitting in an office than I currently do on a PT contract. There are plenty of jobs available and I've worked in a few before and some where better than RM.

Dilemma is the previous office I worked in was good and I enjoyed it whilst the office I'm in now seems to lump ever more lapsing on us and I've had enough. I will now fight for every minute I'm working over and use the trolleys where I can as everything seems to be one way at the moment and if it doesn't improve I expect I'll let you know how the office is.
End of the road
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 117
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 01:58
Gender: Male

Re: Is the grass greener?

Post by End of the road »

I was heavily involved in the closure of Hull MC and of those that left most have moved moved on to better things, I do keep in touch with many of them.

Some like me just retired early, but I do not know of anyone who has not either got another job and they are all happier, thats a fact they all claim.

What you have to consider is will it improve at RM and does the future look bright ?
I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.