ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Astroturf

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Astroturf

Post by meercat »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Common sense will need to applied. RM don't have a list of what you can and can't walk on. The people living at the addresses do, so be guided by your relationship with them.
Are you sure? That is the opposite to what I was told when I was walk-tested. The guy said not to walk on ANY privately owned grass. Council grass was OK but even a little front garden strip which only needed one foot-step to cross was out of bounds.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Astroturf

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Yes I am sure they don't have a list.

Also in your instance you are being guided.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Astroturf

Post by meercat »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes I am sure they don't have a list.

Also in your instance you are being guided.
Well to be fair 'private grassed areas' would not be a list per se and it is sufficient to cover pretty much anything in question so a list is not needed.

But I think you are splitting hairs really because I don't think anyone believes there is a big list written in Red ink and bolded and kept in a draw in Moya Greens office which states what we cannot walk on. I obviously meant was are you sure it's not against company guidance to walk on private grass? Is it a no no? Every manager I've asked about it has said don't do it and obviously if a customer complains in every single instance without exception your LM will tell you you must not walk on the persons grass and stick to access paths. Sounds like it's a no no to me.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Astroturf

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Splitting hairs :shock: All I suggested was that we use common sense. Common sense is that you use the obvious access route - a path, unless given permission to do so by the occupier. Thats exactly what the manager has told you when you asked.

Ergo no list, no company guidance, just using common sense.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Astroturf

Post by meercat »

OK well I agree with that.

But there is a difference between saying-

There are no company rules (what I got from your first posts)
and
Company says use the paths unless householder says otherwise (post above)

Just sayin.

Have a good day.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Astroturf

Post by bustedflush »

Basically any hard surface adjoining two neighboring houses I will cross, unless too close to a window. Any low wall or fence I can safely step over too without contact. As for grass, if an unkempt crappy lawn yes, if tended no. Some people have stepping stones across grass which I use. Just common sense.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Astroturf

Post by meercat »

bustedflush wrote:Basically any hard surface adjoining two neighboring houses I will cross, unless too close to a window. Any low wall or fence I can safely step over too without contact. As for grass, if an unkempt crappy lawn yes, if tended no. Some people have stepping stones across grass which I use. Just common sense.
You say that's common sense but I have a bit of a bomb-shell for you. If you trip over one of these low fences or walls one day and give yourself a broken leg you could well be off with no pay from RM (except SSP of £90pw) because you caused the accident by your own negligence.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Astroturf

Post by bustedflush »

meercat wrote:
bustedflush wrote:Basically any hard surface adjoining two neighboring houses I will cross, unless too close to a window. Any low wall or fence I can safely step over too without contact. As for grass, if an unkempt crappy lawn yes, if tended no. Some people have stepping stones across grass which I use. Just common sense.
You say that's common sense but I have a bit of a bomb-shell for you. If you trip over one of these low fences or walls one day and give yourself a broken leg you could well be off with no pay from RM (except SSP of £90pw) because you caused the accident by your own negligence.
Yes, I'm aware of that but have never fallen as I have long legs and take care to concentrate and do it slowly. I've had a few falls that have been a result of not seeing stupid little raised metal fittings in the centre of an open drive where the gates shut (almost bust my big toe) and loose paving slabs and lastly the most common is twisting my ankle when trying to negotiate a 12-ins.gap between a car and the lawn/border which is a few inches lower and my foot slips off the edge of the drive.