ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I went to work early today

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: I went to work early today

Post by bogstandard »

jimmynailsalive wrote:
Flashman_ wrote:In my office lately many people start early in order to rush around and finish early. Last Saturday I looked at the signing on sheet after I got back to the office, on my due time. Around 50% of people had come in early. Some by an Hour, one particular person then managed to finish 3 hours before his official finish time. many others were finishing 1 or 2 hours early.
Even on the lightest days my job is hard to complete in the time I have, so it frustrates and annoys me that this situation goes on. If those that can finish so early have such easy rounds they should be used to help others before they go home. I bet they would not rush around if they had to go back out to help struggling walks. It amazes me that management allow this, given that "job and finish" was supposed to have ended years ago.
Personally I think Saturday should still be looked at separately from normal midweek days as many people have weddings, football matches etc and there is an unwritten rule that you and your mate can come in early to finish early if you have something important on and can't get the annual leave to cover it.

Would be really disappointed if someone feels we should treat saturday as a normal day as one of the last perks we still have is getting away early on a saturday.
rather than highlight that you are not working the hours you are paid for why not try getting a friend to "do you a favour" on those particular days that you would like to be away early.
In our office this works extremely well indeed. We, on or before the day in question, let our manager know that so and so is doing a favour therefore i will be back and away early as a rseult of our colleagues kind gesture. Even give them the reason for my need to be away early.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: I went to work early today

Post by korky »

jimmynailsalive wrote:
Flashman_ wrote:In my office lately many people start early in order to rush around and finish early. Last Saturday I looked at the signing on sheet after I got back to the office, on my due time. Around 50% of people had come in early. Some by an Hour, one particular person then managed to finish 3 hours before his official finish time. many others were finishing 1 or 2 hours early.
Even on the lightest days my job is hard to complete in the time I have, so it frustrates and annoys me that this situation goes on. If those that can finish so early have such easy rounds they should be used to help others before they go home. I bet they would not rush around if they had to go back out to help struggling walks. It amazes me that management allow this, given that "job and finish" was supposed to have ended years ago.
Personally I think Saturday should still be looked at separately from normal midweek days as many people have weddings, football matches etc and there is an unwritten rule that you and your mate can come in early to finish early if you have something important on and can't get the annual leave to cover it.

Would be really disappointed if someone feels we should treat saturday as a normal day as one of the last perks we still have is getting away early on a saturday.
my partner used to take my last loop on a saturday if i was going to the match, got back once and sent back out with a loop off another walk even though our duties wasn't finished yet,
they knew my partner was still out doing my loop too,
wasn't even allowed to go back and finish my own!
we work for a fantastic friendly company don't we :left:
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: I went to work early today

Post by weary_posty »

jimmynailsalive wrote:
Flashman_ wrote:In my office lately many people start early in order to rush around and finish early. Last Saturday I looked at the signing on sheet after I got back to the office, on my due time. Around 50% of people had come in early. Some by an Hour, one particular person then managed to finish 3 hours before his official finish time. many others were finishing 1 or 2 hours early.
Even on the lightest days my job is hard to complete in the time I have, so it frustrates and annoys me that this situation goes on. If those that can finish so early have such easy rounds they should be used to help others before they go home. I bet they would not rush around if they had to go back out to help struggling walks. It amazes me that management allow this, given that "job and finish" was supposed to have ended years ago.
Personally I think Saturday should still be looked at separately from normal midweek days as many people have weddings, football matches etc and there is an unwritten rule that you and your mate can come in early to finish early if you have something important on and can't get the annual leave to cover it.

Would be really disappointed if someone feels we should treat saturday as a normal day as one of the last perks we still have is getting away early on a saturday.
Saturday is a normal working day. I think people need to realise that we have to work our hours! Things will not change for the better until we start on our time, finish on our time, cutting off if needs be. Working for free and covering jobs that managers refuse to allocate a FT/PT job to is helping nobody.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: I went to work early today

Post by arnold cheshire »

you can not ask why people start early its harrasment
cyrus
Posts: 215
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
Gender: Male

Re: I went to work early today

Post by cyrus »

arnold cheshire wrote:you can not ask why people start early its harrasment
Yes you can, when your the one the gets pulled in the office,for not being able to complete a duty in time.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: I went to work early today

Post by 97gaz »

W
Last edited by 97gaz on 15 Dec 2019, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: I went to work early today

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

arnold cheshire wrote:you can not ask why people start early its harrasment

As a Union rep he is quite entitled to put the Union view forward as and when appropriate.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Re: I went to work early today

Post by Nigel1505 »

if you worked in a factory, say 6-2 shift, would you start at 5.30, unpaid........no. Beats me why it happens in RM. :arrrghhh
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: I went to work early today

Post by BingBong »

weary_posty wrote:Yup, as the title suggests, I went to work 45mins before my start time but not to work.
As deputy rep in our DO I thought I would approach fellow colleagues and ask them why they were starting before time, working for free, preventing PT being made upto FT etc etc.

I was shocked that out of 46 staff, 29 were in before their time! Most had their first mech in and had sorted a bunch from the IPS. I said my piece and hopefully have convinced a few to start and finish on time but a small group have asked our Lino to put in a grievence against me for bullying tactics!
These are the same people that moan at our rep about the amount of lapsing and increase in job sizes.
Some people just want to see the world burn.
bullying tactics? tell them you won't represent them anymore if they are going to screw the job up for everyone else! thats what our rep does.
Toon Army!
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: I went to work early today

Post by arnold cheshire »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:you can not ask why people start early its harrasment

As a Union rep he is quite entitled to put the Union view forward as and when appropriate.
i wouldnt say he could target individuals .
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: I went to work early today

Post by bogstandard »

arnold cheshire wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:you can not ask why people start early its harrasment

As a Union rep he is quite entitled to put the Union view forward as and when appropriate.
i wouldnt say he could target individuals .
The object of the exercise was, and still is, to identify reasons why people felt they needed to come in early. Perhaps identify alternative solution/s to a common issue/s. Attempting to resolve it to everyone's satisfaction, or the majority. As previously stated these actions are unmeasured bodies of work that are detrimental to the entire office. Those attending on time have absorbtion and/or other work or loss of duties imposed on them.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: I went to work early today

Post by motherhubbard »

It is important to find out the reasons for people starting early especially if people are under stress as this could lead to ill health.
If people are starting early out of habit or to finish early it should be stopped.
The simplest way would be to subject them to an "early starter" interview which should last twice as long as the period of time between their start time and their official start time.
So if they come in 30 minutes early they should have a 1 hour interview to really get to the bottom of their behaviour, preferably with a WCM "early starter" champion or a work place coach.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: I went to work early today

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postslippete
Posts: 4201
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: I went to work early today

Post by postslippete »

Would someone still be covered under Royal Mail's health and safety even though they came in an hour earlier than their official time??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: I went to work early today

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

postslippete wrote:Would someone still be covered under Royal Mail's health and safety even though they came in an hour earlier than their official time??

Its a common question and the answer, despite claims to the contrary, yes they are covered.


Carrying out an employer's business'
In order for an employer to be considered vicariously liable for a work accident compensation claim, the negligent employee must been have carrying out employer's business at the time the work injury was sustained.Taking precedents set in vicarious liability work accident compensation cases that have gone to the UK's higher courts, it would seem that vicarious liability is established in cases where a negligent employee is at work'. This rule generally applies to all work accident compensation claims, even if the negligent employee is carrying out work in a manner which has been expressly forbidden by the employer.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.