ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice appreciated

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by coxie »

They issue stages for even the most genuine reasons, it's not the reason your off that's in dispute it's the amount of time. Accidents at work, dog bites, pregnancy related absence and absences covered by DDA should be discounted unless prior notice is served in writing.
Meesh_W
Posts: 13
Joined: 01 Jan 2015, 14:43
Gender: Female

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by Meesh_W »

Prior notice was given in my case. DOM was fully informed of diagnosis, date of operation and time expected for recovery two months in advance.

DOM also assured me there would be no consequences as he was fully aware of my circumstances. :confused
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by aiden01 »

Judgee wrote:
Meesh_W wrote:

2. A stage 1 warning is NOT automatic and should be taken on the individual merits at the interviewers discretion after taking into consideration any 'mitigating factors' - imminent hospitalisation and recovery times being a factor. A stage 1 DOES NOT therefore have to be issued just because you reached a trigger level! - In my case the decision to issue a warning was made without taking anything into consideration.
Never known any exceptions. People off in hospital having operations, etc all still got stages issued ? :hmmmm

Has anyone anywhere ever triggered a stage and not had it issued? :roll:
yes :thumbup half decent manager and good rep always a big help
Meesh_W
Posts: 13
Joined: 01 Jan 2015, 14:43
Gender: Female

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by Meesh_W »

Well good for you!! Glad to hear it :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :Very Happy xx
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by aiden01 »

Meesh_W wrote:Well good for you!! Glad to hear it :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :Very Happy xx
just read your other post think it,s a disgrace the way you have been treated :sad: :sad:
Meesh_W
Posts: 13
Joined: 01 Jan 2015, 14:43
Gender: Female

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by Meesh_W »

aiden01 wrote:
Meesh_W wrote:Well good for you!! Glad to hear it :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :Very Happy xx
just read your other post think it,s a disgrace the way you have been treated :sad: :sad:
Thank you sweetie...I'm not letting it rest! :no no
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by bogstandard »

i'm assuming you signed the document.
therefore you've agreed it, not what you want to read , i can very well understand that. However what you have in your favour now is hindsight. Use this to your advantage by taking out a grievance against the manager.
The business will argue, till their dying breath, you signed it you should have read it. Your argument is your side of events as you have already stated.
you were invited in for a "chat" which was from you felt was a tad harsh. You were later offered paperwork to sign that was described to you as "the notes from your return to work meeting" which you signed. Having only been with RM for a short amount of time you had no reason not to trust or believe the people you dealt with regarding this.
Do not worry, it's easy for me to say i know and less simple to do, you have this managers number now. They know what they did was wrong and they know,if you put in a grievance, that you know. For me the trust is gone and i would not miss an oppotunity to remind them and anyone else who'd listen of your event
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

As far as I can remember when signing the document there is no paragraph or statement that ties you into "accepting" the document as presented and read at the time. I believe in this case the acceptance is an agreement that a meeting took place and you have seen the original being prepared and/or a copy has been made available for you.

To clarify there are 2 types of acceptance and this one as I understand it is not the one where you are in full agreement and in legal acceptance of a document, just that you have had sight of it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Meesh_W
Posts: 13
Joined: 01 Jan 2015, 14:43
Gender: Female

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by Meesh_W »

Thanks guys, here's an update.

Went in today and was asked by the DOM to go with him for a chat in his office... My first words of response was "Is this a formal or informal chat? Do I need to be accompanied?" He laughed, obviously totally unaware of why I'd said it.

The informal chat was in regards to how I was feeling and if I needed more time on light duties? It was agreed I would stay on light duties with a GP note for amended duties for a further few weeks then try half a walk then back to full walk by early September.

I saw this opportunity to tell him how upset I'd been about being issued the warning and how it had been issued. He asked what manager it was and said "he would have a word"! He also went on to say it was bad how procedures were not followed and he would tell him so, however, there wasn't anything that can be done about it as it was normal practice for anyone regardless of reason for absence, also It wasn't anything to worry about! - I know different!

Anyway I'm still undecided whether to let it go or let the union get their teeth into it...as I'm sure they'll have a field day lol.

Thanks again for your messages of support :thumbup
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by aiden01 »

Meesh_W wrote:Thanks guys, here's an update.

Went in today and was asked by the DOM to go with him for a chat in his office... My first words of response was "Is this a formal or informal chat? Do I need to be accompanied?" He laughed, obviously totally unaware of why I'd said it.

The informal chat was in regards to how I was feeling and if I needed more time on light duties? It was agreed I would stay on light duties with a GP note for amended duties for a further few weeks then try half a walk then back to full walk by early September.

I saw this opportunity to tell him how upset I'd been about being issued the warning and how it had been issued. He asked what manager it was and said "he would have a word"! He also went on to say it was bad how procedures were not followed and he would tell him so, however, there wasn't anything that can be done about it as it was normal practice for anyone regardless of reason for absence, also It wasn't anything to worry about! - I know different!

Anyway I'm still undecided whether to let it go or let the union get their teeth into it...as I'm sure they'll have a field day lol.

Thanks again for your messages of support :thumbup
don,t let it go if the shoe was on the other foot they certainly would,nt let union have a field day with the idiot and hope all goes well in your pregnancy :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup . never let them grind you down :nana
Meesh_W
Posts: 13
Joined: 01 Jan 2015, 14:43
Gender: Female

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by Meesh_W »

don,t let it go if the shoe was on the other foot they certainly would,nt let union have a field day with the idiot and hope all goes well in your pregnancy :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup . never let them grind you down :nana
Thank you
You're so sweet - even though I'm not pregnant haha :oops: I had a double op for abdominal hernia repair and gallbladder removal :thumbdown

Will be speaking to union this week for advice...let's hope they can help :thumbup

Take care hun :angel xx
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by aiden01 »

:oops: :oops: sorry bout that got mixed with another thread good luck with union meeting :thumbup
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Re: Advice appreciated

Post by Pompey Boy »

raged1999 wrote:No, there is no appeal against a stage 1 warning. You can put a grievance in due to procedures not being followed correctly. Please everybody, read this post and ALWAYS take someone in with you as a witness. Do put the grievance in, It will leave a paper trail that can be followed. There is no appeal against stage 1 or stage 2, that paper trail can become vital at a stage 3 (reasons to urge) meeting.
Good advice. A postie at our place did this and is now up to a stage 3 grievance.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!