ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Too tired on days/evenings off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Supermac0151
Posts: 72
Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by Supermac0151 »

Our depot hasn't had revision yet we still on bikes.....it can't be any harder after revision surely?????
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by OnAFlyer »

Most posties are unfit, that's why you're too tired to do anything after work.

If you think walking around a delivery makes you fit, go out for a 5k run and see how you feel. You'll be shocked.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by greengiant »

norm wrote:Obvious question, but are you using the trolley?

I know people don't want to hear it but it takes the weight off your feet, means you aren't carrying unnecessary weight up and down paths, and your body will thank you for it.

If you are, well done, next look at your shoes, if they're royal mail issue, they're not ideal for walking, look at buying your own made for walking, also get a doctors note you can claim the £30 allowance twice a year.

Other than that, take your breaks, don't rush, eat and keep hydrated.
While the light weigh trolley takes the weight off your back, for us taller OPGs (i'm 6'2") they give you a bit of twist in the back as you try to avoid it clipping your heels, falling over and pouches falling off.....

To the OP, yes I do feel rather tired on days / evenings off. Used to think nothing of a 20 - 30 mile bicycle ride on a nice summer evening after work on a previous job.. Lucky if I have the energy for that on a rare weekend off now!

Rather than pulling / pushing a trolley, how about us having Spot tagging along with pouches on his back? Here Spot! :whistle



Although knowing RM, we'd end up with the "cost effective version":

:wink:
bluealbert
Posts: 176
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by bluealbert »

Wait until the anxiety and depression kicks in and then your shattered but can't sleep :shock: :cry but that's another story :silenced
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by Ricardo44 »

bluealbert wrote:Wait until the anxiety and depression kicks in and then your shattered but can't sleep :shock: :cry but that's another story :silenced
I suffer from this..only time I sleep well is when I'm not at work the next day, no matter how tired I am physically.. :arrrghhh
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by bustedflush »

OnAFlyer wrote:Most posties are unfit, that's why you're too tired to do anything after work.

If you think walking around a delivery makes you fit, go out for a 5k run and see how you feel. You'll be shocked.
So the answer to battered knees and feet etc. is to go out and batter them more?? The best way to maintain a tired old car is to take it out for an unnecessary drive to put even more miles on the clock? Being 'fit' as per your definition doesn't make joints and limbs less likely to wear and ache.
bluealbert
Posts: 176
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by bluealbert »

Ricardo44 wrote:
bluealbert wrote:Wait until the anxiety and depression kicks in and then your shattered but can't sleep :shock: :cry but that's another story :silenced
I suffer from this..only time I sleep well is when I'm not at work the next day, no matter how tired I am physically.. :arrrghhh
Not nice mate been suffering on and off for 20 years :thumbdown :nervous :cry
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by Gold Fox »

Supermac0151 wrote:Our depot hasn't had revision yet we still on bikes.....it can't be any harder after revision surely?????
After the revision when bikes go .... your life will be turn up side down ...... bikes are gold dust .... and I mean it.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by sussexlad »

Gold Fox wrote:No such problems when we had Bicycle ....
At least with a CDV duty it's quite nice to be able to drive to the doctors!
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by Nondescript »

Dozen wrote:
empirestate-ed03.jpg
The Empire State Building has 102 floors.

Now imagine, if you were to walk up the entire staircase of the empire state building. Carrying a bag loaded with parcels, and then back down again. Just in case this wasn't enough to knacker the average person, you then proceed to spend another 2 hours (at the least) walking and pushing/pulling a loaded trolley.

This is the equivalent of what many of us do EVERY DAY, week in week out. The walk i've been doing recently has more or less exactly this; walking up and down 106 floors of staircases, and then at least 2 hours worth of delivery to terraced houses. Not all walks are like this though, in fact many are even worse! :dance
I did a walk at a different office a few months back where the first bag had about 100 calls in it. The first fifty were houses that were on an elevation, each about 5 metres above the height of the road, and with garden walls to stop you cutting across. So that's a 250 metre climb in the first half of a bag in a duty that had 10 bags :crazy: The empire state building is only 381 metres high, so maybe the burj khalifa would be a better starter for 10.

Edit: Forget about the walk I mention above, I did one about a year ago that had about 80 tenement blocks on it, each about 15 metres high, so that's a climb of about 1200 metres :arrrghhh
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by delfranklin1969 »

I hardly use trolleys as my floater rounds are all in vans but on the odd occasion I do use a trolley boy I feel it! I really miss the bikes but they did give me a bit of cramp but I think its because like the trolleys I didn't use them very often. I don't think the trolleys are any more efficient than bikes myself. I am exhausted all the time mainly from being in vans so must be incredibly unfit ha ha!
stewart
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 16:36
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by stewart »

At the age of 40 I thought I would run a bit more after my 8-10 mile a day delivery , it helped so maybe take up the running and become more efficient .
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by OnAFlyer »

bustedflush wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:Most posties are unfit, that's why you're too tired to do anything after work.

If you think walking around a delivery makes you fit, go out for a 5k run and see how you feel. You'll be shocked.
So the answer to battered knees and feet etc. is to go out and batter them more?? The best way to maintain a tired old car is to take it out for an unnecessary drive to put even more miles on the clock? Being 'fit' as per your definition doesn't make joints and limbs less likely to wear and ache.
Actually I cycle a lot (up to 100+ miles in one ride) with the odd run thrown in. I mentioned a 5k run as anyone can just go out and try it. When I started cycling a couple of years ago I was absolutely shocked how unfit I was. I'd been a postie 16 years, was slim and thought the job kept me fit. It didn't.

Yes, all the walking is good to keep you healthy, but it does next to nothing for cardio fitness. Get fit, actually fit, and you'll have a lot more energy to do other stuff outside work.
Dazsw
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 28
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:36
Gender: Male

Re: Too tired on days/evenings off

Post by Dazsw »

I was feeling like that recently, but that was mainly the hayfever kicking in.

I usually go to the gym 3-4 days a week before or after work, as well as currently building a garage so lots of hard labour at home.

I'm usually ok after a good nights sleep.

Royal Mails footwear is terrible though and doesn't help.

How they expect you to go through 2 pairs of footwear a year I'll never know, most walks I do are between 10-12 miles long, x 5 times a week means I need new shoes around every 10 weeks or so.