http://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news/1341 ... n_the_job/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IT'S the last post for mailman Michael Oakes.
The 54-year-old, of Stringer Street in Leigh, is retiring and will deliver his last letter on Monday after 37 years on the job.
Grandfather of four Mr Oakes began working as a postman when he was 18 years old after leaving Westleigh High School.
He said: "It all began in school — I wanted to be a farmer but you had to go to university for that and my parents couldn’t afford to send me.
"So I went to the local careers office, which was on Railway Road, and explained what I would like to do and they said 'why don't you be a postman?'
"So I went down to the Silk Street Post Office and I had to apply and I didn't hear anything for a few months until the December of 1978 they said a position had come up in Leigh.
"December was obviously the busiest time of year so I was thrown in at the deep end and I remember it being really bad weather that winter with a lot of snow on the ground. At that point I thought 'have I made the right decision?' But, honestly I have loved every minute of it."
Mr Oakes made many friends over the years and remembers one couple who used to invite him in for tea and toast — a highlight of his round.
He was also the secretary of Leigh Royal Mail Sports and Social Club and organised many trips for post office employees including a five-a-side football team and a charity cricket match.
Mr Oakes added: Before I started as a postman I was really shy — I wouldn't say boo to a goose but the thing I will miss most now is talking to people every day. I've really enjoyed my career I wouldn't change it.
"Its really been a good 27 years of my life and I will never forget it."
Mr Oakes, who only suffered one animal injury in 37 years – from a cat – now plans to put his feet up for a while.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman returns to sender after 37 years on the job
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman returns to sender after 37 years on the job
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.