ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Newbie is panicking
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Re: Newbie is panicking
Oh, and one of the best tips I got was don't bundle up whole streets, make a bundle start halfway through if you can. It saves a lot of time numbering or working out which bundle is next when the next bundles starts next door on the same street.
-
stan_lers
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
On my first week I got put on one of the longest walks in the office by myself. Does 4 estates, all spaced about half a mile of dead walking apart, with 3 really steep bridges along the way.
One of the streets has the same name as the town its in, and I accidentally delivered one street to another. Walked the half a mile of dead walking over one bridge before I realised, and had to walk all the way back and knock on all the doors to try and get the post back. Also it poured with rain the entire day and being February was freezing cold. Got back to the office after 5pm, felt like quitting.
That walk was too long for anybody to do on time, let alone giving it to someone on their 3rd day in the job.
One of the streets has the same name as the town its in, and I accidentally delivered one street to another. Walked the half a mile of dead walking over one bridge before I realised, and had to walk all the way back and knock on all the doors to try and get the post back. Also it poured with rain the entire day and being February was freezing cold. Got back to the office after 5pm, felt like quitting.
That walk was too long for anybody to do on time, let alone giving it to someone on their 3rd day in the job.
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
Dave you can see by the number of replies we have all been there!!
High Streets with flats are the WORST part of this job bar nothing. You have been very unlucky to be put on a High Street!!! Actually - you should NOT be on a HS as a newbie that is just managerial incompetence.
If (by any chance) you are being put under pressure about how long it's taking you by a manager saying 'it shouldn't take you that long' just explain the problem clearly and leave it at that. You don't need to justify yourself!! You are still learning the job so tell them that!
If you are happy to book the OT then stay out there and finish the job properly. Don't rush round, take your time and get everything in the right letter boxes THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING not how long it's taking you!!
Oh and if you can't find a delivery point mark the letter with a question mark, put it at the back of your bundle and move on. Ask someone the next morning where the bloody letter box is!!!!
You are actually lucky at least you didn't start in January in the rain and cold!!!
High Streets with flats are the WORST part of this job bar nothing. You have been very unlucky to be put on a High Street!!! Actually - you should NOT be on a HS as a newbie that is just managerial incompetence.
If (by any chance) you are being put under pressure about how long it's taking you by a manager saying 'it shouldn't take you that long' just explain the problem clearly and leave it at that. You don't need to justify yourself!! You are still learning the job so tell them that!
If you are happy to book the OT then stay out there and finish the job properly. Don't rush round, take your time and get everything in the right letter boxes THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING not how long it's taking you!!
Oh and if you can't find a delivery point mark the letter with a question mark, put it at the back of your bundle and move on. Ask someone the next morning where the bloody letter box is!!!!
You are actually lucky at least you didn't start in January in the rain and cold!!!
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
Indeed. The bane of all walks when you don't know them. Above shops. Doors beside shops. Stairs behind shops. Not numbered, shops have no number so you can work the flats out. My blood has got to boiling point and bag hurled at the van when driver meets me more than once....meercat wrote:Dave you can see by the number of replies we have all been there!!
High Streets with flats are the WORST part of this job bar nothing. You have been very unlucky to be put on a High Street!!! Actually - you should NOT be on a HS as a newbie that is just managerial incompetence.
If (by any chance) you are being put under pressure about how long it's taking you by a manager saying 'it shouldn't take you that long' just explain the problem clearly and leave it at that. You don't need to justify yourself!! You are still learning the job so tell them that!
If you are happy to book the OT then stay out there and finish the job properly. Don't rush round, take your time and get everything in the right letter boxes THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING not how long it's taking you!!
Oh and if you can't find a delivery point mark the letter with a question mark, put it at the back of your bundle and move on. Ask someone the next morning where the bloody letter box is!!!!
You are actually lucky at least you didn't start in January in the rain and cold!!!
-
Dozen
- Posts: 101
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
^not to mention having to watch out for all the pigeons perched on the over-hanging shop signs. Watch yer head when writing out a 739 card! It has happened to me before 
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
Yes they are the worst of the worst!!!bustedflush wrote: Stairs behind shops.
Rickety old steps, rusty iron or rotting wood. Usually ridiculously steep with narrow steps and all you have for the door at the top is a pizza leaflet!!! Trip on one of them and it's curtains!
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
I started in December last year. I did mostly trolley walks with the workplace coach over the Christmas period so didn't do a walk by myself until the beginning of January. I was trained well, but still found it very difficult when I was given a walk to do by myself - even if this was the walk that I'd been out with my workplace coach for 3-4 weeks. I'm a part timer, I start at 9:30 most of the week (except Monday and Tuesday; 9am start). I'd find that I'd be walking through the door at my start time and having to throw in packets, turn letters, redirections etc when everyone else was leaving the office. I'd be getting out at 10:30-11am and finishing at around 3-4pm. One thing that helped me was that there was another new starter who started the same day as me that had the same problems, so I knew I wasn't alone.
I did my van changeover at the end of January and started doing shared van walks. I have found that my speed and working out shops/flats has came naturally, probably because in a shared van, you've always got someone who you can ask and most of the people I'd work with in a shared van would help me out if I got stuck. If there's one thing I have learnt in my first six months is, don't be afraid to ask for help - whether that be asking a collegue for help or if its shop numbers, popping into a shop to ask what number the shop is. You might get a funny look but its no harm done. There's a walk near my office that has a full row on the fitting of shops. I found counting up as I'm going a long helps, but even this doesn't always work as you'll get some shops that take up several numbers that throws this plan out the window.
On Monday, I covered the walk that I did with my workplace coach when I started. I walked into the office just before 9am, was out the door by 9:30 and back by 11:45am, although it was a quiet day. Over time, you're speed on the ground will increase, especially as you do more walks in the office, you'll get to know where everything is.
I did my van changeover at the end of January and started doing shared van walks. I have found that my speed and working out shops/flats has came naturally, probably because in a shared van, you've always got someone who you can ask and most of the people I'd work with in a shared van would help me out if I got stuck. If there's one thing I have learnt in my first six months is, don't be afraid to ask for help - whether that be asking a collegue for help or if its shop numbers, popping into a shop to ask what number the shop is. You might get a funny look but its no harm done. There's a walk near my office that has a full row on the fitting of shops. I found counting up as I'm going a long helps, but even this doesn't always work as you'll get some shops that take up several numbers that throws this plan out the window.
On Monday, I covered the walk that I did with my workplace coach when I started. I walked into the office just before 9am, was out the door by 9:30 and back by 11:45am, although it was a quiet day. Over time, you're speed on the ground will increase, especially as you do more walks in the office, you'll get to know where everything is.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
Stick at it it'll get better!
Lots of good advice already given. Try asking any of the other Reserves if they've got an "Idiots Guide" or what's often called a Bundling/Delivery List.
You'll not be the first to have problems and I bet the frame's not even set out in the correct order. Some one may have spent the time to make their own notes....these can be invaluable to a newbie. I expect you're already making your own.
Time taken in Prep is always rewarded out on Delivery (at least you've got the frame for reference).
Some suggestions:
Start numbering your bundles (stops you getting confused)...... Use 739s to remind you about larger parcels in your bag............ Number the ends of the parcels with marker pen (so you can view them without emptying your bag).......Use the marker pen to write Flat Numbers on crappy flats that have none.... Write a "P" on the 1st letter in a bundle if you've got a parcel (and you're walking away from your Trolley)....... Write a "Z" (for Zap) if you need reminding to take your PDA........ Write a list of your Specials (in Delivery Order) and tick them off as you go along.......
There's loads of tips & tricks to make life easier for yourself. If your colleagues use some that you like Nick Em. Try not to get too stressed (I know that's easy to say) Contact your Union Rep and seek guidance on Over Running Procedure, Taking Meal Relief and Not Lapsing.
Good Luck....Hopefully it'll get easier for you.
You'll not be the first to have problems and I bet the frame's not even set out in the correct order. Some one may have spent the time to make their own notes....these can be invaluable to a newbie. I expect you're already making your own.
Time taken in Prep is always rewarded out on Delivery (at least you've got the frame for reference).
Some suggestions:
Start numbering your bundles (stops you getting confused)...... Use 739s to remind you about larger parcels in your bag............ Number the ends of the parcels with marker pen (so you can view them without emptying your bag).......Use the marker pen to write Flat Numbers on crappy flats that have none.... Write a "P" on the 1st letter in a bundle if you've got a parcel (and you're walking away from your Trolley)....... Write a "Z" (for Zap) if you need reminding to take your PDA........ Write a list of your Specials (in Delivery Order) and tick them off as you go along.......
There's loads of tips & tricks to make life easier for yourself. If your colleagues use some that you like Nick Em. Try not to get too stressed (I know that's easy to say) Contact your Union Rep and seek guidance on Over Running Procedure, Taking Meal Relief and Not Lapsing.
Good Luck....Hopefully it'll get easier for you.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Newbie is panicking
Dorset Plodder wrote:Stick at it it'll get better!Lots of good advice already given. Try asking any of the other Reserves if they've got an "Idiots Guide" or what's often called a Bundling/Delivery List.
You'll not be the first to have problems and I bet the frame's not even set out in the correct order. Some one may have spent the time to make their own notes....these can be invaluable to a newbie. I expect you're already making your own.
Time taken in Prep is always rewarded out on Delivery (at least you've got the frame for reference).
Some suggestions:
Start numbering your bundles (stops you getting confused)...... Use 739s to remind you about larger parcels in your bag............ Number the ends of the parcels with marker pen (so you can view them without emptying your bag).......Use the marker pen to write Flat Numbers on crappy flats that have none.... Write a "P" on the 1st letter in a bundle if you've got a parcel (and you're walking away from your Trolley)....... Write a "Z" (for Zap) if you need reminding to take your PDA........ Write a list of your Specials (in Delivery Order) and tick them off as you go along.......
There's loads of tips & tricks to make life easier for yourself. If your colleagues use some that you like Nick Em. Try not to get too stressed (I know that's easy to say) Contact your Union Rep and seek guidance on Over Running Procedure, Taking Meal Relief and Not Lapsing.
your comment about using 739s to remind you is a no no because if they accidentally go through the letter box with a d2d it causes problems DONT DO IT
Good Luck....Hopefully it'll get easier for you.
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
OP hasn't posted in a few days..wonder if he is still with us..
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
*Bump* Dave, you still with us?
-
buzzboy
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 10:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
Ive been doing this for about 3 months now , I still get funny looks from managment because im always last out and last back . Often get asked "did you complete?" The thing is because I have to pick up kids from care worker there are times when I cut off when I'd rather crack on just to make the next day easy .
It doesnt help that now i feel im the only one who knows the walk and most of the experienced guys seem to avoid it. So im part time and every time I come back from my rest days theres always a heap of back log to process and im always last out . D2D's ? forget it! none of its prepaired , im a driver so I have to race out to deliver the reg mail before bringing back undelivered and then start the round again . Im not expecting this rolling contract to last ....im just not fast enough to cope the way they were hoping .
It doesnt help that now i feel im the only one who knows the walk and most of the experienced guys seem to avoid it. So im part time and every time I come back from my rest days theres always a heap of back log to process and im always last out . D2D's ? forget it! none of its prepaired , im a driver so I have to race out to deliver the reg mail before bringing back undelivered and then start the round again . Im not expecting this rolling contract to last ....im just not fast enough to cope the way they were hoping .
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
buzzboy wrote:Ive been doing this for about 3 months now , I still get funny looks from managment because im always last out and last back . Often get asked "did you complete?" The thing is because I have to pick up kids from care worker there are times when I cut off when I'd rather crack on just to make the next day easy .
It doesnt help that now i feel im the only one who knows the walk and most of the experienced guys seem to avoid it. So im part time and every time I come back from my rest days theres always a heap of back log to process and im always last out . D2D's ? forget it! none of its prepaired , im a driver so I have to race out to deliver the reg mail before bringing back undelivered and then start the round again . Im not expecting this rolling contract to last ....im just not fast enough to cope the way they were hoping .
Your problem is that you are not coming in early to prep and working for free and not staying on Saturdays until 15:00 to prep next week's door-2-dustbins. You are therefore realizing like many that you don't have the hours necessary to perform the increased workload. So either work for free or cut-off. You should do the latter.
It also sounds like you have been dumped on a crap round. They won't get rid of you, as you are doing the filth nobody else wants.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Newbie is panicking
Or.. do what I do. At the start of your shift go to see the manager. Ask 'what do you want me to do about 8 duty?'bustedflush wrote: So either work for free or cut-off. You should do the latter.
'What do you mean, what's wrong?'
'Well, I'm supposed to sort the packets, do the redirections, pack my bags and leave. But I can't as there is a load of mail on the frame'.
What ever he says, say you'll be happy to do that but as it's not an easy day it will involve you claiming overtime. Then say that tomorrow, under no circumstances,
can you work any overtime at all, so he will have to make sure the delivery is ready for your start time, or get someone to do half the delivery.
I had similar conversations most days, but the penny seems to have dropped. Now it's sometimes a case of me going up to the manager and saying
It's tuesday. No door to door's have been thrown in, and none were done yesterday. Do you want to pay me overtime to throw them in, or do you want to get one of the full timers to do it instead of paying him to sit at home?
-
buzzboy
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 10:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie is panicking
Yeah Im hearing you both .
I used to come in about 1/2 an hour early for while but then realized that who ever is sorting the frame at that time clocks im in D.O and sneaks off while im out doing the reg .
The other thing is when I can finish early say like on a Tues or Sat I only have a few mins to chuck a hand full of D2D's in the frame as they chuck us all out of the D.O before 2:30 .
Anyway good advice lads I'll keep that in mind . I just need to speed up everything basically accept for the driving obviously .
BTW whats the latest you should bring back the p739 on reg 1pm mail ? I tried bringing it back at about 2pm but got moaned at by the front desk staff who were eager to knock off early .
I used to come in about 1/2 an hour early for while but then realized that who ever is sorting the frame at that time clocks im in D.O and sneaks off while im out doing the reg .
The other thing is when I can finish early say like on a Tues or Sat I only have a few mins to chuck a hand full of D2D's in the frame as they chuck us all out of the D.O before 2:30 .
Anyway good advice lads I'll keep that in mind . I just need to speed up everything basically accept for the driving obviously .
BTW whats the latest you should bring back the p739 on reg 1pm mail ? I tried bringing it back at about 2pm but got moaned at by the front desk staff who were eager to knock off early .