ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mindset for a long busy day.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by meercat »

Creditshampoo wrote: Make sure you have your normal break plus extra break as fully entitled to a longer paid break with overtime!
Good point. You are due another 20mins after....9hrs isn't it?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32811
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by POSTMAN »

Attendance length............total breaks..... probable pattern

Less than 2 hours 30 minutes none (a 10 min grace break should be provided if work permits)
2 hours 30 to 3 hours................10 mins.................. 10
3 hours 1 to 3 hours 30..... .......15 mins....................15
3 hours 31 to 4 hours 59..... .......20 mins.................. 20
5 hours to 7 hours ................... 30 mins...................30
7 hours 1 to 8 hours 59..... .......40 mins..............40 or 20 + 20
9 hours to 10 hours 59...............50 mins................30 + 20
11 hours to 12 hours 59..... .......60 mins............. 40 + 20 or 30 + 30
13 hours or longer..... ..............70 mins..................40 + 30
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I always listen to the Radio (with an MP3 as back up). Digital Radio is great as I like the Comedy & Drama on 4Extra. I always load a few audio books onto the MP3. I find that helps the time pass.
As mentioned previously eat properly, take your breaks & drink plenty. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by meercat »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I always listen to the Radio (with an MP3 as back up). Digital Radio is great as I like the Comedy & Drama on 4Extra. I always load a few audio books onto the MP3. I find that helps the time pass.
As mentioned previously eat properly, take your breaks & drink plenty. :cuppa
Ever thought of delivering some letters? That passes the time too:) Just joking. I like digital too but any radio tends to break up in flats. I think podcasts are the way to go.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

meercat wrote: Ever thought of delivering some letters? That passes the time too:) Just joking. I like digital too but any radio tends to break up in flats. I think podcasts are the way to go.
Now come on Meercat! You know we're merely paid to walk around in the fresh air getting ourselves a Free fitness programme and chatting to all our friends that live on our delivery. Who all invite us in for a cuppa and a piece of cake! :Very Happy Agree about the bad reception. That's when I pop a few tunes on the MP3. Do you find yourself planning your listening around the reception on your duty? I'll also turn off when I find a particularly patronising middle class dickhead on Radio 4 (and there's quite a few of them). :d'oh!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by meercat »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
meercat wrote: Ever thought of delivering some letters? That passes the time too:) Just joking. I like digital too but any radio tends to break up in flats. I think podcasts are the way to go.
Now come on Meercat! You know we're merely paid to walk around in the fresh air getting ourselves a Free fitness programme and chatting to all our friends that live on our delivery. Who all invite us in for a cuppa and a piece of cake! :Very Happy Agree about the bad reception. That's when I pop a few tunes on the MP3. Do you find yourself planning your listening around the reception on your duty? I'll also turn off when I find a particularly patronising middle class dickhead on Radio 4 (and there's quite a few of them). :d'oh!
Ha ha yes Radio 4 is great at times and really trying at others. It is amazing how smarmy and out of touch some of the guests they have on there are. But I always seem to tune in just before the Archers then instantly have to switch off! Radio4 extra on the other hand is usually excellent especially for classic comedy. You can hear some gems from the 50's and 60's and some of it is really sharp. Lot's of Steptoe and Son at the mo but I think the TV series was superior. Also heard a great short story by Margaret Drabble the other day it was so absorbing it took me completely out of my delivery for 15mins! You could stick it on your mp3 player and see if you like it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0175j83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reception wise I've not planned listening around it but would probably be a good idea! The worst thing ever is when something REALLY interesting is on then you go into flats and when you come out you've missed it all!!! The Jeremy Vine show is the worst for that, great show though sometimes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

One of my Colleagues has a Posh Phone with a radio.....apparently it's got a "Catch Up" feature........which he uses for exactly that purpose. If he misses something he presses the "Rewind" buttton. :thumbup

Agree about the Comedy...... Who'd have thought some of those Comedies are 50 years old and still good? :crazy: The downside of listeneing to Comedy is everyone thinks your crazy as all they see is a Postie shuffling down the road laughing to himself! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by meercat »

Dorset Plodder wrote:The downside of listeneing to Comedy is everyone thinks your crazy as all they see is a Postie shuffling down the road laughing to himself! :Very Happy
Ha ha that's true. But if anyone heard what goes on in RM Depots in the morning they would know we are all crazy. :crazy:
simply_the_best
Posts: 594
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by simply_the_best »

halfull wrote:tax man will love you 30% more than he does now because thats how much he will take from every penny overtime you do! :Very Happy


I very much doubt that, 30% :roll:
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by wannabeek »

simply_the_best wrote:
halfull wrote:tax man will love you 30% more than he does now because thats how much he will take from every penny overtime you do! :Very Happy


I very much doubt that, 30% :roll:
He's meaning total deductions I think. I've had a quick squizz at some of my wage slips and I think these figures are accurate for me:

Increased tax paid is about 20% of my extra pay; increased NIC deduction is 12% of the extra pay. That would mean that 32% of my OT gets deducted by govt into one pot or another.

Having said that, I suppose it's an extra £7.32/hr going into in my pocket per hour, that's like walking along the road and finding another shiny pound coin on the floor every 8 mins!
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by CPTNemoUK »

sophie97 wrote:Basicly I've agreed to do some regular overtime until the end of the month,around 3 hours extra a day plus my day off, I'm happy to do it because I really need the money, especially on my part time contract.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a good mindset to get through the long days/week? Obviously the paycheck is one, im a hard worker, but I just can't motivate myself for the overtime but I need it lol
I am actually in the same boat has you. I am getting married next year and just bought a brand new car so need the dough. So I have been doing my normal walk and a collection after, so been doing a 8 till half six every day. The strange things is I am enjoying it, I'm getting home not feeling tired. The best thing is the collection I'm doing nobody likes because it get heavy and your always last back. But I think it's a piece of **** and its a easy 4 hours buff.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Mindset for a long busy day.

Post by datasaint »

wannabeek wrote:
simply_the_best wrote:
halfull wrote:tax man will love you 30% more than he does now because thats how much he will take from every penny overtime you do! :Very Happy


I very much doubt that, 30% :roll:
He's meaning total deductions I think. I've had a quick squizz at some of my wage slips and I think these figures are accurate for me:

Increased tax paid is about 20% of my extra pay; increased NIC deduction is 12% of the extra pay. That would mean that 32% of my OT gets deducted by govt into one pot or another.

Having said that, I suppose it's an extra £7.32/hr going into in my pocket per hour, that's like walking along the road and finding another shiny pound coin on the floor every 8 mins!
It's totally irrespective, if you earn 22K or 32K we all pay the same level of tax after your personal allowance.