Same hereTrueBlueTerrier wrote:Best Job I have ever had.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Good or bad job?
-
bluealbert
- Posts: 176
- Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
I love the jib after 35 years my rural delivery is lovely,yes i moan a lot at how its run and messed about with etc but soon ti retire next year hopefully at 55 delivered a telegram to a couple from the queen thats what its all about last week that put things into perspective! !
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
Ditto!TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Best Job I have ever had.
Beats pacing the streets to keep oneself occupied!
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
For me it's good. Working in an office of just 6 and in a rural area with hardly any traffic helps.
-
Gilly856
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 13 Nov 2014, 13:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
Before doing this and I started at 50 , all my other jobs were harder by miles, worked harder with unsocial hours.the managers are no worse than other places I've been, someone said earlier come in, do your job, go home. If your getting bullied grow a set and act. I would not let myself, my children, my family be bullied and do nothing other than moan about it on a forum.
Final point could someone name a better job with similar pay and conditions.
Final point could someone name a better job with similar pay and conditions.
-
cyrus
- Posts: 215
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
Bin man..... the pace they work at is way slower than what a postman is expected to work at.Gilly856 wrote:Before doing this and I started at 50 , all my other jobs were harder by miles, worked harder with unsocial hours.the managers are no worse than other places I've been, someone said earlier come in, do your job, go home. If your getting bullied grow a set and act. I would not let myself, my children, my family be bullied and do nothing other than moan about it on a forum.
Final point could someone name a better job with similar pay and conditions.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Good or bad job?
This would be my ideal job;http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... money.html
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Bishbashbbosh
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
Yes, because loads of people would rather empty dirty, smelly bins all say than deliver bits of paper...cyrus wrote:Bin man..... the pace they work at is way slower than what a postman is expected to work at.Gilly856 wrote:Before doing this and I started at 50 , all my other jobs were harder by miles, worked harder with unsocial hours.the managers are no worse than other places I've been, someone said earlier come in, do your job, go home. If your getting bullied grow a set and act. I would not let myself, my children, my family be bullied and do nothing other than moan about it on a forum.
Final point could someone name a better job with similar pay and conditions.
I'm no snob, but I couldn't imagine working with such a disgusting smell all day, it's bad enough when the thing drives past you!
-
Bishbashbbosh
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
I can't work out if this is serious, but considering the pro-union/anti-management stuff that you post regular, it's quite refreshing to see you saying it's the best job you ever had. Bravo (unless sarcasm was implied in which case ignore this comment haha)TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Best Job I have ever had.
-
delfranklin1969
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
bit of both at times! I think the job is made much more difficult than it should be with stupid squabbling over stupid things! But I like it in general when left to get on with things! I work in small office with 20 rounds.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Good or bad job?
Actually I am neither pro-union nor anti-management. Both get both barrels when they deserve it, however it is unfortunate that Royal Mails management ethos of command and conquer certainly gets my ire more than the Unions denial of problems on the coal face.Bishbashbbosh wrote:I can't work out if this is serious, but considering the pro-union/anti-management stuff that you post regular, it's quite refreshing to see you saying it's the best job you ever had. Bravo (unless sarcasm was implied in which case ignore this comment haha)TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Best Job I have ever had.
The Union and RM need to engage more, at least Dave Ward is making the attempt. RM need to know and train their managers in leadership and man mangement, after all an engaged work force is more efficient, more flexible, more understanding and uilmately harder working when treated as an assesst rather than a galley slave. My current Line manager is a fine example of a good leader, hence why at the moment this is the best job I have ever had.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Bishbashbbosh
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
I see both sides. I think most units that have an amicable rep, have a nightmare manager and vice versa. It's rare to see 2 that can work together unfortunately
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
Just out of interest, what other jobs did you do that were 'harder by miles' ?Gilly856 wrote:Before doing this and I started at 50 , all my other jobs were harder by miles, worked harder with unsocial hours.the managers are no worse than other places I've been, someone said earlier come in, do your job, go home. If your getting bullied grow a set and act. I would not let myself, my children, my family be bullied and do nothing other than moan about it on a forum.
Final point could someone name a better job with similar pay and conditions.
I've done previous jobs that were all outdoor manual work but non of them were as physically demanding as this job.
In fact I'm struggling to think of a single other modern day job in the UK with similar pay that is anywhere near as physically hard work as this job.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Good or bad job?
I see it slightly differently, most, but not all Managers and reps left to their own devices could probably run their offices without serious problems or conflict. Problem is those on the managment side seem to belive that Micro Management with a Control and Conquer approach is the best way to get things done. Where as the Union at HQ is excellent, but its detached from the reality of the workface, and the Branch structure and accountabilty is so poor generally, even the most decent unit reps are left to muddle through without little training or support.Bishbashbbosh wrote:I see both sides. I think most units that have an amicable rep, have a nightmare manager and vice versa. It's rare to see 2 that can work together unfortunately
We get those 2 things worked out, Union supporting its basic reps, and RM letting managers manage and lead, then this firm will go from strength to strength. At the moment we are lurching from one crisis to another and too many good reps, managers and ordinary posties are getting fed up and leaving - perhaps thats the master plan.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
ziggy
- Posts: 114
- Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
- Location: Back o Beyond
Re: Good or bad job?
It has its good points but never in my entire working life have I had my integrity questioned like I get in RM
It's not just about "growing a pair" I do stick up for myself but find it depressing to be constantly justifying my work rate. I'm not slow by anyone's standards but am truly fed up of being asked to squeeze in another 5 minutes work here and there. The time involved to empty collection boxes, the delivery to neighbour, the year round lapsing and recently the double lapsing. Not to mention the indoor lapsing as well
I've said it before but when you have a union rep who only looks out for themselves and will stab you in the back as quick as look at you it makes the daily struggle much harder.
I do enjoy the physical side of the job and meeting people. I have mostly nice customers and a decent area to deliver in. A couple of years ago the good points outweighed the bad but that's not the case now and most of my office feel the same way. I think if RM were to offer EVR or whatever I think they would be trampled in the rush to take it.
It's not just about "growing a pair" I do stick up for myself but find it depressing to be constantly justifying my work rate. I'm not slow by anyone's standards but am truly fed up of being asked to squeeze in another 5 minutes work here and there. The time involved to empty collection boxes, the delivery to neighbour, the year round lapsing and recently the double lapsing. Not to mention the indoor lapsing as well
I've said it before but when you have a union rep who only looks out for themselves and will stab you in the back as quick as look at you it makes the daily struggle much harder.
I do enjoy the physical side of the job and meeting people. I have mostly nice customers and a decent area to deliver in. A couple of years ago the good points outweighed the bad but that's not the case now and most of my office feel the same way. I think if RM were to offer EVR or whatever I think they would be trampled in the rush to take it.
Ziggy