ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Much-loved Holloway postman's tearful goodbye after 42 years

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Much-loved Holloway postman's tearful goodbye after 42 years

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/ ... _1_4146632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

Grateful residents and colleagues give Dennis a send-off to remember

Image
Tears were shed when Dennis was met with the surprise send off

A popular postman was moved to tears when colleagues and customers ambushed him with cards and presents on his penultimate round.

Dennis Williams, who has cracked jokes and made those living on the Shearling Estate in Holloway smile for the last 42 years, posted his last parcel on Friday – but will never be forgotten or replaced, residents said.

More than a dozen turned up at the sorting office in North Road on Thursday morning last week, along with 30 postmen, to give the 62-year-old a hero’s welcome with Jeanette Dacoutea, who has lived on the estate for 35 years, performing a poem.

Trying to hold back tears, Dennis said: “I’m just overwhelmed, I wasn’t expecting this.

“I’ve just been myself every day, nothing special, but I’m glad you appreciated everything and I thank you for that.”

Ms Dacoutea also presented Dennis with several cards which it turned out he had unwittingly delivered himself to her address, along with a cheque for £505 from residents and an envelope full of elastic bands. He was also presented with a watch from his Royal Mail colleagues at the sorting office.

“I don’t think we’ll find another like him,” said Ms Dacoutea.
Postman Dennis toasts with resident Jeanette Dacoutea, who read out a poem she wrote for him

Tears were shed when Dennis was met with the surprise send off

A popular postman was moved to tears when colleagues and customers ambushed him with cards and presents on his penultimate round.

Dennis Williams, who has cracked jokes and made those living on the Shearling Estate in Holloway smile for the last 42 years, posted his last parcel on Friday – but will never be forgotten or replaced, residents said.

More than a dozen turned up at the sorting office in North Road on Thursday morning last week, along with 30 postmen, to give the 62-year-old a hero’s welcome with Jeanette Dacoutea, who has lived on the estate for 35 years, performing a poem.

Trying to hold back tears, Dennis said: “I’m just overwhelmed, I wasn’t expecting this.

“I’ve just been myself every day, nothing special, but I’m glad you appreciated everything and I thank you for that.”

Ms Dacoutea also presented Dennis with several cards which it turned out he had unwittingly delivered himself to her address, along with a cheque for £505 from residents and an envelope full of elastic bands. He was also presented with a watch from his Royal Mail colleagues at the sorting office.

“I don’t think we’ll find another like him,” said Ms Dacoutea.

Image
Postman Dennis toasts with resident Jeanette Dacoutea, who read out a poem she wrote for him

Dennis your time has come

Oh Dennis how can this be?

You are leaving Royal Mail entirely

You have been a Postman for so Long

Stopping our residents from going wrong

Letters and parcels and giving advice

Some OK and some not so nice

Talking out so loud, so many jokes you must be proud

Betting shops and Great Yarmouth give you pleasure

Is this how you will spend your leisure?

Delivering letters also gave you pleasure

Memories of these you will treasure

Whatever you may choose to do

Enjoy your time it is overdue

All that’s left for us to say

Is have a happy day

Now relax and don’t get lacquered

Or you will be bleeding knackered

“I didn’t think people thought so highly of me.


“He has time for everyone and he will always stop and have a joke.

“We all wish him good luck in his retirement and thank him for all the good work.”

Dennis, who lives just off Caledonian Road, plans to spend some of his retirement time in Great Yarmouth on the south east coast.

“I’ve had 42 years working with a great bunch of lads,” Dennis said.

Image
Manager Kenny Adewuyi and Dennis Williams

“They and all the residents have made it really special.”

Dennis’s manager at the sorting office, Kenny Adewuyi, said his longest serving postie was a rare breed.

“You won’t find a harder or more diligent worker and today was a great show of affection. His emotion today says a lot about the man, it shows how much it means to him.

“He’s a man of integrity who stands by his word. I’ve had no issues with him and he always comes in on time, he picks the guys up and he’s a role model.

“I wish I had another 30 Dennises.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Much-loved Holloway postman’s tearful goodbye after 42 y

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Dennis doesn't look knackered enough to have done 42 years with Royal Mail :nana but don't they have it easier in London ? :cuppa
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Much-loved Holloway postman’s tearful goodbye after 42 y

Post by Judgee »

Lounge Lizard wrote:Dennis doesn't look knackered enough to have done 42 years with Royal Mail :nana but don't they have it easier in London ? :cuppa
They don't do any work in London. Haven't you seen Masood in Eastenders? :d'oh!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?