ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Good or bad job?
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Re: Good or bad job?
Used to be a great job. Plenty of recovery time, manageable workloads, great pension scheme, now all gone. Has gone from being the very best job I ever had, to being quite easily the worst job I've ever had. 4/5 hours delivering in all weathers, whatever the temperature, up hill, down dale, has taken it's toll on my poor old body.
Those that think the job is good now, even in its current parlous state, should have been doing it 20+ years ago. Without doubt it was indeed a grand company to work for.
Those that think the job is good now, even in its current parlous state, should have been doing it 20+ years ago. Without doubt it was indeed a grand company to work for.
-
El-Bandito
- Posts: 313
- Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
Being a Royal Mail postie is one of the better jobs in the UK just now. You speak to other private company employees and they will tell you exactly the same thing, too many managers not enough workers, though it's identical in the public sector also. Too many chiefs not enough indians. As a workforce we have major power due to the percentage of shares we 'own '. As a workforce and major shareholder our voices should be heard. Not only when have your say comes around every year but at agm meetings. Less management=less lies =less intimidation =more productively =more profit=better morale. The CWU should remember that. As a union we are strong. As a union and a major shareholder we are extremely strong.
@Dirtyharry I have been doing this job for over 20 years. As a walking postie. I accept that RM want me to do my full hours but I do not accept my integrity being questioned on a regular basis.
@Dirtyharry I have been doing this job for over 20 years. As a walking postie. I accept that RM want me to do my full hours but I do not accept my integrity being questioned on a regular basis.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
it's better than a lot of non-skilled jobs but as someone else said, the pay for a part-timer and the wear and tear on your body against sitting in a decent paying call centre is 50/50.
There are better and worse jobs and there is no doubt the PLC are still trying to squeeze more out of each employee so a lot of the gripes are regarding the direction the job is going.
There are better and worse jobs and there is no doubt the PLC are still trying to squeeze more out of each employee so a lot of the gripes are regarding the direction the job is going.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Good or bad job?
Since the advent of John Major this country has turned into a land of managers and quangos. 
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
I think the money is good the job is good compared to some jobs I have done harder work for min wage , BUT the only problem I see is the clowns that run it from top to bottom who make the job unberiable and unmanageable everyday.
-
foxyjarvis
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 22:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
Have Royal Mail commissioned independent research into what long term effect using the bigger HCT's and longer delivery spans have on a postie's body. My call is Royal Mail are privy to this information or should be as a responsible employer and this wilful physical impairment will result in a class law suit.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: Good or bad job?
Class law suits for HCT use.foxyjarvis wrote:.. and this wilful physical impairment will result in a class law suit.
Class law suits for skin cancer.
How many barrack room lawyers do we now have on RMC?
Should they perhaps be allowed a separate colour and forum?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
foxyjarvis
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 21 Mar 2011, 22:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
The way my body is starting to creak I will probably have to retrain. Thanks for the career tip, hope ur happy with ur own.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Good or bad job?
i think it is a good job but also a bad job
Good Job
exercise
Meeting people
Meeting lovely dogs
weekly pay
working outdoors
floating week off perks
Finishing early if it is quiet day
Christmas tips
Seeing pretty ladies in nightie (if you are lucky enough)
plenty of overtime.
Bad Job
working in rains/too hot day/snowy weather
Wednesdays
Managers
Absorption/Lapsing
booking time off is hard especially if you want day off or time off in peak time.
working 6 days a week
Doors to Doors
Parcel hell in Christmas
Angry dogs
Working in bad areas
Too much stress on body with workload.
Poor career progressions options.
Good Job
exercise
Meeting people
Meeting lovely dogs
weekly pay
working outdoors
floating week off perks
Finishing early if it is quiet day
Christmas tips
Seeing pretty ladies in nightie (if you are lucky enough)
plenty of overtime.
Bad Job
working in rains/too hot day/snowy weather
Wednesdays
Managers
Absorption/Lapsing
booking time off is hard especially if you want day off or time off in peak time.
working 6 days a week
Doors to Doors
Parcel hell in Christmas
Angry dogs
Working in bad areas
Too much stress on body with workload.
Poor career progressions options.
-
Bishbashbbosh
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
Working in a good call centre? I can't imagine being bored out of my brain in a call centre all day talking the same spiel to hundreds of customers! Being a postman maybe harder work on the body, but it is good exercise and by far much more enjoyable... Even in the rain
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32811
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
150,000 or whatever posties,150,000 or whatever different opinions.
All have various reasons for their reasons.
No one is right,no one is wrong.
All have various reasons for their reasons.
No one is right,no one is wrong.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Good or bad job?
Bishbashbbosh wrote:Working in a good call centre? I can't imagine being bored out of my brain in a call centre all day talking the same spiel to hundreds of customers! Being a postman maybe harder work on the body, but it is good exercise and by far much more enjoyable... Even in the rain
Amen to that call centre working is sould destroying wether cold calling or taking complaints/orders. You start making up games to pass the time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
RetroJunkie
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
- Gender: Female
Re: Good or bad job?
ruined by increasing workloads & running it more and more on a shoestring til the point where u don't know where it will end 
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4201
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Good or bad job?
Ah its good to be grateful...
Back to the time when I was sticking happy birthday's on cakes when I was 18 for barely £3.50 an hour (I lasted at least 3 months); I guess this job I got now is a lot better, even though it does challenge me as well some days...
Back to the time when I was sticking happy birthday's on cakes when I was 18 for barely £3.50 an hour (I lasted at least 3 months); I guess this job I got now is a lot better, even though it does challenge me as well some days...
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Good or bad job?
Best Job I have ever had.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.