ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Policies & Procedures - dismissal (non-renewal of contract)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ahebban
Posts: 695
Joined: 19 May 2009, 13:41
Gender: Male
Location: Left of ... Left

Re: Policies & Procedures - dismissal (non-renewal of contra

Post by Ahebban »

If your unit rep is on annual leave contact your branch secretary or area delivery rep. They should have a copy of the Fixed Term Contract Guidelines.

You will find that you should have received a letter inviting you to a meeting with the DOM and which also includes the reasons for not re-newing or making your contract permanent.

If your DOM has not followed the guidelines then the matter should be placed in the IR Framework for resolution.
Ahebban - anglo-saxon in origin - meaning 'Wages War'

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, what counts is the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
Bookly
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Nov 2014, 14:20
Gender: Female

Re: Policies & Procedures - dismissal (non-renewal of contra

Post by Bookly »

Thanks for the feedback. It's appreciated.

No procedures were followed. I didn't get a letter, just called into the office (just me and him).

Apparently he is now denying he ever said what he did, but it's with the DSM and union rep at the moment as far as I know.

My fingers are crossed!
Mezza
Posts: 405
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
Location: West London

Re: Policies & Procedures - dismissal (non-renewal of contra

Post by Mezza »

jimmynailsalive wrote:


Question is what constitutes discrimination, are rm allowed to just keep all 20-30 year olds and dump every female and over 40 that they take on for a busy period?

BY all accounts the OP doesn't have a leg to stand on in being released after 6 months BUT she may feel the depot does discriminate in favour of young males and then there MAY be an avenue for someone to put pressure on the DOM there that they will pursue this and she may get a chance of her job back.

All if buts and maybes but I'm sure we are all here trying to give her some hope.
I would be surprised if that were the case.
RM like any other employer does have to try and keep to a fair level of female staff.
Our office recently advertised vacancies and i learnt from the DOM conducting the interviews that females would be given an advantage as we were below the required level of female staff.
Bookly
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Nov 2014, 14:20
Gender: Female

Re: Policies & Procedures - dismissal (non-renewal of contra

Post by Bookly »

Quick update:

They have agreed to extend my contract by another 6 months, and said I would have access to workplace coaches and training...

But the day before, they tested my speed with a workplace coach, and it turned out I was faster than him on most loops. The judgement of my speed (or lack thereof) has apparently been based on one day, when parcels were particularly bad and I was on an unfamiliar walk.

I'm really pleased I'm not losing my job, but not sure why it's still a temporary contract if my speed is up to standard and there are no other issues (there's someone in my office been given a permanent contract).

The union have been brilliant though. :Applause
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Policies & Procedures - dismissal (non-renewal of contra

Post by aiden01 »

Bookly wrote:Quick update:

They have agreed to extend my contract by another 6 months, and said I would have access to workplace coaches and training...

But the day before, they tested my speed with a workplace coach, and it turned out I was faster than him on most loops. The judgement of my speed (or lack thereof) has apparently been based on one day, when parcels were particularly bad and I was on an unfamiliar walk.

I'm really pleased I'm not losing my job, but not sure why it's still a temporary contract if my speed is up to standard and there are no other issues (there's someone in my office been given a permanent contract).

The union have been brilliant though. :Applause
great to hear some good news :thumbup :thumbup
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Policies & Procedures - dismissal (non-renewal of contra

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Bookly wrote:Quick update:

They have agreed to extend my contract by another 6 months, and said I would have access to workplace coaches and training...

But the day before, they tested my speed with a workplace coach, and it turned out I was faster than him on most loops. The judgement of my speed (or lack thereof) has apparently been based on one day, when parcels were particularly bad and I was on an unfamiliar walk.

I'm really pleased I'm not losing my job, but not sure why it's still a temporary contract if my speed is up to standard and there are no other issues (there's someone in my office been given a permanent contract).

The union have been brilliant though. :Applause
Well in, 6 months takes you up to the Christmas rush as well. :Applause
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Policies & Procedures - dismissal (non-renewal of contra

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

.......... and they rarely get rid of people between December and May

Congrats

ImageImageImageImage
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Bookly
Posts: 8
Joined: 11 Nov 2014, 14:20
Gender: Female

Re: Policies & Procedures - dismissal (non-renewal of contra

Post by Bookly »

Thanks everyone!

Yes, it does bring us up to Christmas, so that's a good thing.