ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wearing own trainers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by robbertwhitton »

I wear royal mail trainers,and they are fine even better as i dont oay for them ,when they wear out i order another pair online,am certainly not buying my own! They have had enough money out of this office and am not fussed what theg look like!! We really dont help ourselves do we? Wear running spikes to get round quicker and lapse everything! :crazy:
sharky55
Posts: 8
Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 20:53
Gender: Male
Location: East Anglia

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by sharky55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
paulf0203 wrote:We have been told by our DOM that we can no longer wear our own trainers for work (I only wear them in the summer)as they do not have the same protection as RM issued trainers unless we get a letter from our Doctor to say they are suitable is this really the case?
Yes - and you get £30 towards them as well, bet they didn't mention that.
Is there a link to any documentation on this? I have a letter from the doc confirming the need to wear my own footwear - DOM is happy to let me wear them but says he is not aware that I can claim £30 or any allowance....also, how often can a claim be made. Cheers
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

still looking for documentation but on this thread http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... nt#p268155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there are instructions on how the managers action it on the pay side.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by 2pints »

I have bad pains on the underside of my heels and sides of my toes since wearing the new anvil trainers,i had no issues with cats or yds but these are torture devices.I wore my own trainers to work today and no one even noticed.I think i will get a doctors note and buy some new balance shoes from ebay,hopefully a printed out paypal reciet willbe accepted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271602932737? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by rambo1 »

RedRich wrote:In my opinion the royal mail supplied footwear is not suitable for the distances we now have to cover. There made for durability rather than comfort.
I wear merrels, I also don't consider RM footwear fit for the job now. If you voluntarily set out to walk 10 miles a day would you really choose and buy what RM are offering us? My merrel are supportive, comfy and are built for walking, they last about 4 months. Wouldn't you think RM could get a contract with such a company, think of the advertising possibility, merrel, we supply our hard working posties, what an advert for them and us. Would probs cost too much for them to shell out to help keep the staff healthy.
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by stodgy88 »

changed rules on £30 payment,i gave line manager doctors note ,they get in touch with ATOS,ATOS ring you ,you explain ,if they are happy,they ok £30 payment,this confirmed by person who is in charge of such matters at my office.
Mezza
Posts: 405
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
Location: West London

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by Mezza »

As with RM issued footwear, are you able to claim the £30 for your own footwear twice a year?
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by richiebroon »

I've been wearing my own trainers since February as my boots are knackered and I've been asking for new ones and haven't got them yet. I've worn holes in the soles of 2 of my own pairs of trainers and still can't get boots! Seriously considering contacting HR myself.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Mezza wrote:As with RM issued footwear, are you able to claim the £30 for your own footwear twice a year?

Twice a year, not a chance my shoes last 6 months, I'm on my 4th pair in just over a year?

I still have the other 3 pair, one is worn down so much the sole has split.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by DB1100 »

Mezza wrote:As with RM issued footwear, are you able to claim the £30 for your own footwear twice a year?
I've had 2 payouts of £30 so far this year,mine last just over 3 months.
For we were soldiers once,and young
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by spiderj »

I got three a year when I was in.

Don't forget your £130 tax allowance for washing uniform.
:thumbup
I won