ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Radio
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 53
Joined: 11 Dec 2008, 13:01
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Radio »

bustedflush wrote:
Radio wrote:

Great tribute to the Acme Book Of Management Radio, but as usual these idealistic sentiments all fall down flat when faced with the number-one factor: HUMAN NATURE!
People naturally clique and group together, 'birds of a feather' and all that. The situation you describe is simply unresolvable.
As Cyclopz alludes to, the best you can hope for is an uneasy peace. The workplace is too fragmented for anything else. Whether with tact or force, you have too many variables to make a plan for.
This is simply a micro-example of the effects of multiculturalism nationally; 'our street and their street' etc.

I am fortunate in not having to face these problems daily. My DO has two people born outside the UK, both E.Europeans who ironically arrived in the 1990's before the idiots of the EU started their great 'end of the nations' social engineering project. As far as I know there are only Christians and atheists as we have no Hindus or Muslims. So we can all abuse each other, laugh and make gestures both deliberate and accidental without fear of retribution and that even includes the managers most of the time. It must cause so much stress coming into work not being able to relax unless you are in the presence of your 'own' group. I don't envy those people at all.

We should all remember it's not the individuals' fault (usually) but those that allowed it to happen, starting with the governments right down to the employers themselves.
In short you are talking about something that you neither have any experience nor any understanding of. This is not a thread about immigration and yes we have fun and banter at our workplace. We are united against bullying management and know how to fight for our rights. This has absolutely nothing to do with immigration or multiculturalism what so ever. Bullying is bullying, period.

I am sure you have an MBA to prove that what I wrote does not work because of variables or whatever. Workplace is not fragmented, managers are not capable of uniting the workforce by "focussing on customer". Managers have their own agendas, people have their own just because senior managers have failed to show everybody the bigger picture. In all good companies there is a coomon goal which everybody strives to achieve and manager's job is not to bully his own staff but to take them along to achieve that goal. Unfortunately it does not happen at this place. Interestingly this is how nations work as well. Fragmented and disunited nations reach thier fall very soon and nothing divides a nation or a workplace more than an absence of common goal and too much focus on superficial (racial, linguistic) differences. We are all human after all, we all bleed the same red.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by bustedflush »

Radio wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
Radio wrote:

Great tribute to the Acme Book Of Management Radio, but as usual these idealistic sentiments all fall down flat when faced with the number-one factor: HUMAN NATURE!
People naturally clique and group together, 'birds of a feather' and all that. The situation you describe is simply unresolvable.
As Cyclopz alludes to, the best you can hope for is an uneasy peace. The workplace is too fragmented for anything else. Whether with tact or force, you have too many variables to make a plan for.
This is simply a micro-example of the effects of multiculturalism nationally; 'our street and their street' etc.

I am fortunate in not having to face these problems daily. My DO has two people born outside the UK, both E.Europeans who ironically arrived in the 1990's before the idiots of the EU started their great 'end of the nations' social engineering project. As far as I know there are only Christians and atheists as we have no Hindus or Muslims. So we can all abuse each other, laugh and make gestures both deliberate and accidental without fear of retribution and that even includes the managers most of the time. It must cause so much stress coming into work not being able to relax unless you are in the presence of your 'own' group. I don't envy those people at all.

We should all remember it's not the individuals' fault (usually) but those that allowed it to happen, starting with the governments right down to the employers themselves.
In short you are talking about something that you neither have any experience nor any understanding of. This is not a thread about immigration and yes we have fun and banter at our workplace. We are united against bullying management and know how to fight for our rights. This has absolutely nothing to do with immigration or multiculturalism what so ever. Bullying is bullying, period.

I am sure you have an MBA to prove that what I wrote does not work because of variables or whatever. Workplace is not fragmented, managers are not capable of uniting the workforce by "focussing on customer". Managers have their own agendas, people have their own just because senior managers have failed to show everybody the bigger picture. In all good companies there is a coomon goal which everybody strives to achieve and manager's job is not to bully his own staff but to take them along to achieve that goal. Unfortunately it does not happen at this place. Interestingly this is how nations work as well. Fragmented and disunited nations reach thier fall very soon and nothing divides a nation or a workplace more than an absence of common goal and too much focus on superficial (racial, linguistic) differences. We are all human after all, we all bleed the same red.

I actually agree with much of that, not trying to be confrontational!
If you were in a position of authority there, what would you do to resolve these issues?
Cyclopz
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Cyclopz »

Well one thing I have noticed is the more you push a group the more they push back.
For instance if you TELL a load of Punjabi speaking women to talk English they will do the opposite.
If you ask them and they respect you they will.
It's all about approach and how you address people, an ignorant bullying manager will get no where in this place.
You have to be cool calm and collected, worse thing you can do here is lose your temper.

Mind you though harassment by exclusion is still an issue.
Being completely ignored by a group of people who refuse to speak English even though you know they can is still group harassment.
You have to have your guns loaded at all times in this place, you have to know what you can fight back with.
Hope for the best and plan for the worst that's my policy.
I love to have fun all day and see many smiling faces but half of my brain is always planning, planning for the worst.
Well that's what I spend most of my time mulling over all day but that's just me, others probably see it differently.

And I have to finish with this.
In my own suspicious mind I still think diversity is just a game for the rich and all it was created for was to break the power of the white working class people.
You know the inconvenience of the previous national strikes etc (and I will willingly accept being wrong here if someone can show me why).
We all as human beings make the best of it and I swear I am not having a pop at any one ethnic group but it is still and always has been a created tribal war to keep us all divided and at each others throats.
Diversity is here to stay, you can't stop it and if you try you will be beating your head against a brick wall.
The very best thing you can do is to see through it and play them at their own game although I haven't figured out a stratgey yet.
I will keep you all posted at my progress. :Very Happy
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
Cyclopz
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Cyclopz »

OK the plan is to force all the managers to speak English and let all the little people like me speak whatever language they want to speak.

How does that sound?

Replies in the post please, I am all ears.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by fishtank »

Cyclopz wrote:I am all ears.
Cyclopz...all ears? :left:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Cyclopz
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Cyclopz »

fishtank wrote:
Cyclopz wrote:I am all ears.
Cyclopz...all ears? :left:
Oh well at least I gave someone a chuckle.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I always felt sorry for the Cyclops in the Iliad.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Cyclopz
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Cyclopz »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I always felt sorry for the Cyclops in the Iliad.
Why what happened to him?
You got me worried now.
Did it end badly for him?
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by bustedflush »

Cyclopz wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I always felt sorry for the Cyclops in the Iliad.
Why what happened to him?
You got me worried now.
Did it end badly for him?
There were many of them. Unintelligent giants, they ate humans and Zeus? released them from the underworld for which they game him thunder and lightning. Too dim to farm they hunted. Apollo killed them as his son was killed by their lightning or something. The last one was blinded in his one eye by Odysseus with a burning stick when asleep after they got him pissed.
Cyclopz
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Cyclopz »

bustedflush wrote: The last one was blinded in his one eye by Odysseus with a burning stick when asleep after they got him pissed.
Maybe I should stop drinking in the week then, I sure have a few enemies around here.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Dorset Plodder »

You highlight one of probably many problems of working in a Mail Centre. You're stuck there all day! :sad: Have you ever considered transferring to Deliveries? As much Fresh Air as you want! :Very Happy

Personally I don't think I could endure my lovely colleagues for more than the two or three hours that I have to put up with many of them every morning. :crazy: We're often only on the IPS for less than an hour and some of them nearly come to blows over trivial things! :arrrghhh

My Office is what the Police Term "IC1" White, British (with a few Jocks), Christian, and we have enough problems. I'd hate to think what it'd be like with a large Multi-Cultural mix! :crazy:

I can appreciate your state of mind Cyclopz....try an I-Pod with your favourite tunes, I find that helps....Tune Out the Dickheads! :thumbup
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 11 Feb 2015, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Cyclopz
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Cyclopz »

This place really does push you to the limit.
Managers trying to intimidate in different languages, people trying to fck with your head because they know you don't understand them.
Tension between different language speaking communities EG One community bitching about another etc. and all the bitching and back stabbing associated with normal day to day business.
Then add the India caste system as has been stated already so that Indian managers are very unhelpful to OPG's as they see us beneath them.

Add to that many people are looking for other people to make some sort of racist remark so they can sue for compensation and a whole lot of no win no fee lawyers waiting in the sidelines.
Also sometimes in the car park people deliberately walking in front of exiting cars so they too can sue for compensation.
Also add to the mix a load of new acting managers trying to impress the boss upstairs by running around like headless chickens.
Now throw in a little extra spice with all the Isis stories in the newspapers to cause just that little bit of extra tension and a few FGM stories to anger the Somali community.
And lastly the sexual tension of having a load of good looking women walking around coupled with affairs going on in the sidelines and you have a very heady mix.
All this is being quietly observed by a fully integrated CCTV system so that we all are watched.

I don't think I have missed anything out but if I have I will get back to you.
Music is a life saver in this place that's for sure and this place really is enough to drive you to drink.
The story of Cyclopz being tricked into getting drunk is a revelation to me, no more drinking in the week that's for sure and always be on time.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
tiggle
Posts: 135
Joined: 19 Feb 2010, 20:44
Gender: Female

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by tiggle »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:It looks like the thing we can agree on is that the failings aren't that of praying muslims or smokers, but management to enforce agreements. May I suggest that non smoking non religious members who feel aggrieved at this then start the process for a claim of unfair discrimination, against management the real cause of the friction, rather than complaining about muslims, or muttering behind their back - in the end if you take no action you have no-one to blame but yourself, and you are making managements job easier by letting it slide.

My suggestions:
1. Find out how many are pissed of with the status quo.
2. Find out how many of them want to take combined action.
3. Ask for a Union meeting and air your concerns.
4. If nothing is done then enter a Group grievance.

There is nothing wrong in complaining about any group taking liberties with work time, be they smokers or devout believers, but to my mind if you really are upset by it then stand up and be counted and tackle it the right way, not by back biting and whispering in corners, that only aggravates the situation.


standing up and being counted is all well and good especially if you're prepared to be accused of being a bigot and most are wary.long live free speech
Cyclopz
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 177
Joined: 05 Jan 2013, 09:36
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Cyclopz »

Still waiting for the results of this case.
I spend my life trying to fit in but I always end up standing out.
Radio
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 53
Joined: 11 Dec 2008, 13:01
Gender: Male

Re: Royal Mail Bullying Boss

Post by Radio »

2 more harassment cases went in employment tribunal from HWDC last week from night shift. Apparently managers lost both the cases. People are so disheartened that they believe nothing would happen to these 2 rogues either. Everything gets brushed under the carpet here. Night shift is run by a mafia of managers who get away with murder ALL the time.
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 17 Jun 2015, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: identifying description removed