Many thanks appreciate the advice.Budfrog wrote:Work hard, try and retain your integrity, don't believe all the spin/propaganda you are fed, listen to the people on the ground who actually do the work, and finally ...... do what all decent Grads do after 3 or 4 years which is move on to bigger and better things outside RM.yameen wrote:So how would you recommend I go about the role?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
-
yameen
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 14 Jun 2015, 21:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
-
yameen
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 14 Jun 2015, 21:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
Nope am not a postie but I do have family members who have been working for RM for years.postslippete wrote:Congratulations!!
I am not against graduates coming into this organisation
You don't say if you have been a postie?? Doing
our job offers a great insight into what can and cannot be achieved. In which case I can only offer the advice
"What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others!"
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
Because your spelling is worse than mine and that's saying somethingyameen wrote:What is so hard to believe? That me a person who you know nothing about is a RM graduate? Or is it the fact that I have come on to this forum for advise and help?
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
-
yameen
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 14 Jun 2015, 21:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
Economicsspiderj wrote:Just out of interest,what was your subject?
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
Bit worrying if someone who has been to uni doesn't know the difference between advise and advice
If you are genuine you have a choice of the "them and us", all postmen are crap and lazy and I must tell my boss what he wants to hear OR you could try to bring in something new. Problem is with RM is that most guvnors are crap because they were crap postmen and their egos are ideal in making them believe they are so great when they start acting.
OR you could just go with the flow and enjoy your very large pay packet!
If you are genuine you have a choice of the "them and us", all postmen are crap and lazy and I must tell my boss what he wants to hear OR you could try to bring in something new. Problem is with RM is that most guvnors are crap because they were crap postmen and their egos are ideal in making them believe they are so great when they start acting.
OR you could just go with the flow and enjoy your very large pay packet!
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
yameen
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 14 Jun 2015, 21:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
Come on you guys, It was a simple keyboard typo!Pompey Boy wrote:Bit worrying if someone who has been to uni doesn't know the difference between advise and advice![]()
If you are genuine you have a choice of the "them and us", all postmen are crap and lazy and I must tell my boss what he wants to hear OR you could try to bring in something new. Problem is with RM is that most guvnors are crap because they were crap postmen and their egos are ideal in making them believe they are so great when they start acting.
OR you could just go with the flow and enjoy your very large pay packet!
May I ask what you mean by something new?
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
Working with your staff and appreciating them would be a good start.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
yameen
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 14 Jun 2015, 21:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
Have you worked with a grad before?Pompey Boy wrote:Working with your staff and appreciating them would be a good start.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
I have and he was a very nice guy, obviously not very knowledgeable in matters pertaining to the workings of a DO but was willing to learn and listen and ask if he didn't know how to deal with a situation. He wasn't well received with the other managers who tended to side line him and not include him very often unless the crap was hitting the fan. Mind you considering the 5 of them probably didn't have an O level between them it's no wonder they had a complex. The last I heard he was a DOM after a couple of years and is still employed as such as far as I know.yameen wrote:Have you worked with a grad before?Pompey Boy wrote:Working with your staff and appreciating them would be a good start.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
Last grad we had in our office was put to work walking the streets doing packets and cut-offs! 
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4201
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
The grad that we had was a top bloke and it is a shame that he had to work elsewhere
I guess he had to because the managers that we have in the office now are all ex-posties that have more management experience so they were hardly likely to go elsewhere. At least that was the impression that I got.
I guess he had to because the managers that we have in the office now are all ex-posties that have more management experience so they were hardly likely to go elsewhere. At least that was the impression that I got.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
No. For some reason we've only had a couple at POMC.yameen wrote:Have you worked with a grad before?Pompey Boy wrote:Working with your staff and appreciating them would be a good start.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
Budfrog
- Posts: 893
- Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19
Re: Operations Graduate Scheme 2015
The written English of a minority of Grads is slightly below par because it is not their first language.
I have known and worked with a lot of graduate entrants and the vast majority are decent enough people with ambition to do well. Some find the operational management side of it difficult to cope with and from what I have seen there is quite a high attrition rate. I have known at least half a dozen graduates who have left the business either because they did not agree with the style of management that was expected of them or because they did not believe they were being developed in the right way ..... all have prospered outside the business.
I have known and worked with a lot of graduate entrants and the vast majority are decent enough people with ambition to do well. Some find the operational management side of it difficult to cope with and from what I have seen there is quite a high attrition rate. I have known at least half a dozen graduates who have left the business either because they did not agree with the style of management that was expected of them or because they did not believe they were being developed in the right way ..... all have prospered outside the business.