ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman rides 230 miles in 16 hours in schoolboy's memory

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman rides 230 miles in 16 hours in schoolboy's memory

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/post ... -1-7309438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


http://www.shieldsgazette.com/webimage/1.7309437.1434356132!/image/1759566887.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/1759566887.jpg
A grandfather, who was touched by the strength of a South Tyneside family after the death of their youngest son, got on his bike to raise cash in his memory.

Steve Laws cycled the Coast-to-Coast route, from his home in South Shields to Workington, in Cumbria, and back in one day in support of the Cruse Crew’s fundraising efforts in aid of Cruse Bereavement Care Tyneside.

The Royal Mail postman clocked up 230 miles and chose the group after being inspired by the work of work colleague Alfie Leggett, Susan Clarkson and their two sons James and Thomas.

The family are part of the Cruse Crew, who have been raising funds to enable the charity to bring its children and young people’s bereavement support service to South Tyneside, after the death of their son Jack, nine.

Until the service was launched in April, thanks to the fundraising efforts of the group, families had to travel to the charity’s base in Newcastle.

Now they can receive the support in Cleadon Park PCT, Prince Edward Road, South Shields.

I knew I couldn’t give up as I was doing it for such a great cause.
Steve Laws

Mr Laws from West Avenue, South Shields, said: “I’m a dad and grandfather and saw what Alfie and his family went through after losing Jack. I can’t imagine how that would feel.

“I’ve said I would do something but knew it had to be a big challenge as I’ve done the Coast-to-Coast before so decided to do it in one day – there and back.

“It was really hard. It really hurt your back and neck, but I couldn’t give up, as I was doing it for such a great cause. Everything they’ve done is really inspirational and that kept me going. “

Mr Laws set off at 2.30am and arrived back at his home address at 9.30pm.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Postman rides 230 miles in 16 hours in schoolboy's memor

Post by DB1100 »

Brilliant,well done a great effort.
For we were soldiers once,and young