ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Leaving packets in bins / other places
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4201
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
Heard from one of our guys who left a package over someone fence because that was what the customer wanted - as it was noted on the door
well, they rang up and complained because the item was broken
even more amusing was the fact that it was a postman's house and he thought he was doing him a favour!!
well, they rang up and complained because the item was broken
even more amusing was the fact that it was a postman's house and he thought he was doing him a favour!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
scrapsaturdays
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 09:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
I find this a difficult situation. We are supposed to abide by rules and regulations. As a long serving postman and been on the same delivery for many years you do build a relationship with customers and therefore leave items in their safe place. In over 20 years I have never had a complaint about a stolen or missing item. Perhaps it depends on the part of the country and the type of delivery. I think rural customers are willing to allow safe places to avoid a long drive to collect items. Especially when our collect office is closed between 1 pm and 3 pm.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
You're wrong. Our Dom has told us all several times (in WTLL with all staff and reps present) that if we aren't comfortable following a printed safeplace instruction then take it to the manager and get it photocopied, it's then nothing to do with you if it goes missing. You're just following a specific instruction that the customer has given to the sender. I take a photo of the label too to make doubly sure.edo4442 wrote:I had a world class mail guy tell me to follow any instructions for safeplace, as it will be held on the system for proof.
And, hey dont you know, when I quizzed him at work time lying on it, he denied all knowledge, and said its your decision.
In short, its all bullshit, dont believe a word anybody says, follow the rule book, leave nowhere, but the neighbour, as when it gets pinched RM will sack you no matter what.
Anything, that contradicts the rule book, ask for it in writing, and if not forthcoming, then thats your answer, dont do it, unless you have it in black and white, to enable you to save your job, when they they try to sack you, for doorstepping ...
By all means 739 everything if you want, but don't give out incorrect information that people will be sacked for following a specific instruction on a Tracked label.
-
BexyB9
- Posts: 59
- Joined: 24 Jun 2013, 13:12
- Gender: Female
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
I would never leave a parcel in a bin - ever. Just say the customer has gone away for a while and has asked her neighbour to put the bin our for her on collection day...
...say no more.
...say no more.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
Came back to a letter on my frame. It's from a punter saying they'll take responsibility if I leave packets in their blue wheelie bin and it disappears. Rep reckons I'm covered, still not happy about it though.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
Personally, I would want a legally binding letter to the effect that if I lost my job due to following their request and something went wrong, they would pay my typical weekly wage (taking account of NI, Income tax etc.) until I could find another job I was happy to do.Sir Henry wrote:Came back to a letter on my frame. It's from a punter saying they'll take responsibility if I leave packets in their blue wheelie bin and it disappears. Rep reckons I'm covered, still not happy about it though.
No deal? No parcel left in a rubbish bin!
-
lillywhite
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 05 Apr 2009, 16:23
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
I always agreed with what's been posted,but today we had an office meeting with somebody from high up in Royal Mail and he said we had to improve our first time delivery rates,so from now on we must try neighbours etc AND if there's anywhere out of sight shed etc we must leave the item there and if any problems arose from this the manager would always back our actions!
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1535
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
Our new manager told us to do the same thing!lillywhite wrote:I always agreed with what's been posted,but today we had an office meeting with somebody from high up in Royal Mail and he said we had to improve our first time delivery rates,so from now on we must try neighbours etc AND if there's anywhere out of sight shed etc we must leave the item there and if any problems arose from this the manager would always back our actions!
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
How acceptable is it to get neighbours to sign for letters or small packets and scribble on them that Mr or Mrs so and so signed for it at No ?? and put it through the recipients door. Seems to keep customers happy but always wondered how it was perceived officially, would obviously exclude citations and any similar nasties from this practise!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
Royal Mail are backing it as customers apparently want it. What you have described is called "First Time Delivery" by the powers that be.jimmynailsalive wrote:How acceptable is it to get neighbours to sign for letters or small packets and scribble on them that Mr or Mrs so and so signed for it at No ?? and put it through the recipients door. Seems to keep customers happy but always wondered how it was perceived officially, would obviously exclude citations and any similar nasties from this practise!
The other exceptions are Special Delivery and any International that needs signing for, I also include off my own back any International Registered that does not need a signature. However, you can decide not to ask the neighbours if you think its unsafe to do so.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
If the neighbour signs for something (not a Special Delivery or whatever they are called now) you leave it with the neighbour and inform the addressee of the letters whereabouts using a P739 form.jimmynailsalive wrote:How acceptable is it to get neighbours to sign for letters or small packets and scribble on them that Mr or Mrs so and so signed for it at No ?? and put it through the recipients door. Seems to keep customers happy but always wondered how it was perceived officially, would obviously exclude citations and any similar nasties from this practise!
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
Jack Rouse
- Posts: 74
- Joined: 09 Jul 2014, 20:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
I've left parcels with neighbours, and the neighbour has swore blind I haven't, so I no longer "Leave with a neighbour"
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
Do you guys really do that DTN with bailiff's letters? Sometimes you can tell what it is through the envelope window, I couldn't knock on a door and hand something like that over to a neighbour, that would be awful.
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
+1Jack Rouse wrote:I've left parcels with neighbours, and the neighbour has swore blind I haven't, so I no longer "Leave with a neighbour"
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Leaving packets in bins / other places
Use your discretion. Sometimes you can see sensitive info in the window and in that case it's not suitable to be left with neighbour, I'd say the same is true for sex toys.wannabeek wrote:Do you guys really do that DTN with bailiff's letters? Sometimes you can tell what it is through the envelope window, I couldn't knock on a door and hand something like that over to a neighbour, that would be awful.