ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driving....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Altrider
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by Altrider »

"secondly . don't be so pendantic "


Oh this is too good to miss. It's pedantic, not pendantic. :nana



Runs, ducks and dives for cover :nana
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Driving....

Post by spiderj »

Occasional driving will turn Into everyday

Only a few things could prevent you being forced to

Eyesight,medical reasons reported to dvla anti depress ,painkillers etc

Basically RM get the benefit of us risking our licence and we get more work,more hassle etc

Fair?
I won
Noctua
Posts: 23
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 15:25
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by Noctua »

If it's in your contract accept to be a driver. Then fail the change over test. Hey presto you can't be a driver.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by rubberbond »

Altrider wrote:
"secondly . don't be so pendantic "


Oh this is too good to miss. It's pedantic, not pendantic. :nana



Runs, ducks and dives for cover :nana
I was so tempted to call the grammar police, but no, I resisted. I am the better person! :Very Happy
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by tansorboy »

Most people in my office avoid the walking, and want to be drivers. I prefer the walks (much more natural and better for your body) so I can understand your concerns. The ideal round imho is to take a van out but do lots of walking. Does that round exist? Probably not....
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: Driving....

Post by doorstepped »

don't panic people, the Grammar police are here ;)

Image
Altrider
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by Altrider »

call the grammar police
No, not grammar, but simple spelling. LOL :nana

People, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by tansorboy »

Most people I work with prefer to drive and have ATOS reports to avoid walking. I enjoy both, but reckon the latter is better for you.
postslippete
Posts: 4202
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by postslippete »

I agree with the op

I'm a driver and often its a lot less stressful when I'm on rounds as a non-driver

The other thing is that we are supposed to be doing proper vehicle checks every day and week- checking if the van has oil and water,for example. Hardly anyone I know bothers,just ensure the tyres are OK and that there is petrol!!

But with additional responsibilities of driving,I think royal mail should pay its drivers a driving supplement - I don't know if they had this years ago
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by dohnut »

weakerthan wrote:Been a postman for nearly 4 years now and over the last week they have asked me 3 times if I can become a driver. Obviously I dont want to become a driver but was wondering if they can actually make me do it. I'm not sure why they are picking on me particularly as I'm not after any more hours (OT) and there are plenty of other walkers who are newer than me or who would actually like to become a driver.

Just had a look through my most recent contract (from when I became permanent) and it says nothing about driving even though my line manager claims it does ;liar

Thoughts please?
No offence but if everyone had your attitude there would be no drivers and they would force everyone with a licence to drive, It pisses me of that certain people who can drive don't have to, They came round with sheet at our place and asked people and I thought fair enough whats to loose, maybe more money or opportunities :d'oh!. Anyway I dont regret it there are upsides and downsides on both, drivers GENERALLY have shorter loops, but have to do big packets, also when its pissing it down you can take shelter if your near van, on the negatives yeah you sometimes feel like a Chauffeur especially if your partner who can drive refuses.