ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wearing own trainers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by GT85 »

I asked my lino if he had ordered the YDS trainers that I asked for. His reply was you can only have Anvils now as they no longer do YDS. Someone else in our DO reckons that CAT trainers are still available, anyone confirm this ?
We're all here because we're not all there
kingterry
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 Jan 2015, 18:55
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by kingterry »

Apparently they are out of sick till June
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by NewPostieUK »

I wouldn't recommend the sick anyway, your feet will stink.
RedRich
Posts: 76
Joined: 03 Jun 2007, 10:07

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by RedRich »

In my opinion the royal mail supplied footwear is not suitable for the distances we now have to cover. There made for durability rather than comfort.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by Justanotherstar »

GT85 wrote:I asked my lino if he had ordered the YDS trainers that I asked for. His reply was you can only have Anvils now as they no longer do YDS. Someone else in our DO reckons that CAT trainers are still available, anyone confirm this ?

Yeah, Someone I know got a pair of Cat around a month ago...they still looked pretty bulky though...i'll stick to my gore-tex Reeboks and enjoy my knees instead of being crippled by them lol
savo
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 411
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:54
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by savo »

Not a postie but do a fair bit of walking..

Due to an old football injury, have a dodgy knee which I am trying to protect.

Recently bought a pair of Nike Shox off Ebay, cost £57 with postage ( brand new in box ) think they retail around £120.

Really is like walking on air now :Very Happy One downside is they are a bit slippy in the wet on certain surfaces, hopefully will improve when the soles are a bit more roughed up.
'Dear chief secretary, I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left,' ( Liam Byrne MP )
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by stodgy88 »

Hello, got doctors note to wear own trainers,thought i read somewhere you could claim for the cost,anyone help thanks.
chewwy
Posts: 6
Joined: 20 May 2015, 14:48
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by chewwy »

Give receipt to line manager,but keep a copy in case they lose it
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by stodgy88 »

thanks
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

£30 only IIRC
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by stodgy88 »

IIRC ?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Internet slang: If I Remember Correctly.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
da'bunny
Posts: 239
Joined: 08 May 2007, 20:47

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by da'bunny »

ive had to resort to wearing my own trainers, as the Anvil ones have ruined my feet!, big blisters on both heels. I have never had a problem with Royal Mail trainers until now, but was told only the Anvils are being supplied now :sad:
Hate using my own trainers as they wear out extremely quickly.
Anyway we had a health and safety guy visit today so I mentioned the trainers! He told my boss to email a pic of them and my complaints to the uniform feed back dept (or such like).
I'm sure nothing will become of it but what else can you do :arrrghhh
Just say NO ....to the new agreement.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by NewPostieUK »

Surely blisters means that they weren't broken in enough?

I always go for progressively longer walks in any new footwear before wearing them for a whole duty. Sometimes I get it wrong, and end up with blisters, but I don't blame the footwear.

Docs take the longest to break in, I usually have to walk a good few miles wearing two pairs of socks before wearing them at work.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: Wearing own trainers

Post by Newbie001 »

Nope Anvils keep giving me blisters as well. Its not the normal blisters you would expect that are purely down to new shoes. Its the fact they make you're feet soggy and wrinkly. So you actually get blisters between the wrinkles they cause on your feet. Plus the fact you slip all over the place as they have no grip, not to mention the weird pains they give you on the side of the ankles. Definitely one of the worse shoes I've ever used. Not fit for purpose.
Currently trying to break in a pair of Magnums which are also proving to be very uncomfortable and have their own issues. Not impressed with the current footwear choices at all.