Woman hits out at Royal Mail as gift to cancer patient is stolen
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/12954290 ... is_stolen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A woman has “lost faith” in Royal Mail after a parcel she sent to her sick friend in a bid to cheer her up arrived empty.
Jane Theobald bought a small plastic tube of Estee Lauder make-up for £35, thinking it would give her friend, Barbara Klinger, who is fighting ovarian cancer, a much-needed morale boost.
Mrs Theobald sent the £4 package by first-class post last Tuesday, thinking it would be safe in the hands of Royal Mail.
But, according to Mrs Theobald, when Mrs Klinger received it the following day it was empty, having been opened.
Mrs Theobald said: “She was really looking forward to this make-up as I had told her how good it was. She needed something to cheer her up as her cancer is very bad and not going away.
“When she opened it, it was empty, nothing inside, it had been stolen. She told me her heart sank and she felt gutted.”
The 77-year-old of Ardingly Road, Saltdean, added: “I wouldn’t mind if Barbara was young and robust but she isn’t.
“I’m so annoyed. It’s not the money – it’s what it symbolises.
“It was so disappointing to hear she got an empty package – you kind of lose faith gradually.”
Mrs Theobald posted her parcel from the Post Office in Longridge Avenue, Saltdean, a branch she says she “trusts implicitly”.
Mrs Klinger, 71, spends hours at a time in hospital at the moment in her battle against cancer.
Mrs Theobald added: “I was really upset – poor lady, she's as low as can be, and someone steals her make-up.”
Her husband Kevin posted on a local online forum and said others reported similar experiences.
Mrs Theobald has since sent another gift, this time by recorded delivery, which Mrs Klinger did receive, and is in the process of going through a complaints procedure with Royal Mail so it can investigate.
“You shouldn’t have to do insure a parcel to stop these things happening,” she added.
Royal Mail spokesperson Sally Hopkins said: “Royal Mail is concerned to hear of Ms Theobald’s experience.
“We deliver 58 million items of mail every day and the vast majority arrive at the correct destination quickly and efficiently.
“If anyone has any queries about their post, they should contact Royal Mail Customer Services on 03457 740740 in the first instance so the enquiry can be properly logged and investigated.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Woman hits out at RM as gift to cancer patient is stolen
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Woman hits out at RM as gift to cancer patient is stolen
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Woman hits out at RM as gift to cancer patient is stolen
Doesn't say where it was going, wonder if there was a no-fly item in there
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Woman hits out at RM as gift to cancer patient is stolen
That make-up worth just £35 is hardly mail most at risk from theft might make one wonder whether it was properly packaged.
Furthermore if the Post Office in Longridge Avenue, Saltdean, can be trusted implicitly then they should have pointed out that goods worth over £20 should be sent 'Signed For'.
And of course that it was being sent to a "cancer patient" makes this big news for the local rag.
Furthermore if the Post Office in Longridge Avenue, Saltdean, can be trusted implicitly then they should have pointed out that goods worth over £20 should be sent 'Signed For'.
And of course that it was being sent to a "cancer patient" makes this big news for the local rag.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Woman hits out at RM as gift to cancer patient is stolen
Bet it wasn't packed properly.
Last week I had a single-layer brown paper bag containing 6 x 250g tubes of (expensive) stretch-mark cream. In my packets York they were loose, obviously having come apart and I found a tattered piece of paper with an address and recorded sticker. So I put them in a damage-bag and duly delivered them. I told the lady to give some grief to the sender (turned out it was an ebayer
)
I cannot believe some cretins still send heavy or cornered items in a wrap of thin brown paper.
Last week I had a single-layer brown paper bag containing 6 x 250g tubes of (expensive) stretch-mark cream. In my packets York they were loose, obviously having come apart and I found a tattered piece of paper with an address and recorded sticker. So I put them in a damage-bag and duly delivered them. I told the lady to give some grief to the sender (turned out it was an ebayer
I cannot believe some cretins still send heavy or cornered items in a wrap of thin brown paper.
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Re: Woman hits out at RM as gift to cancer patient is stolen
e bayers are penny pinchers, I often deliver items wrapped in black bin liner or carrier bag, postage cost says something like £2.50 and the receving customers go off on one saying they charged me fiver for p&p.
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Re: Woman hits out at RM as gift to cancer patient is stolen
I totally resent her accusations. Firstly, if something doesn't turn up as expected you'd assume the item fell out or something similar. Secondly, I can't imagine any corrupt postie going to the hassle of resealing 'evidence' they'd just stolen from and sending it on it's way.
Unless she and the newspaper has hard proof the item was stolen I'd demand an apology for wild accusations.
Unless she and the newspaper has hard proof the item was stolen I'd demand an apology for wild accusations.
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Woman hits out at RM as gift to cancer patient is stolen
Did she even seal it up?
I've had items, in jiffy bags, that have been unsealed, I've given them to the manager to put into damaged goods bags. Got to the customer and gave her the item and she just rolled her eyes and said "I keep telling mum to seal these bags shut, as she never removes the strip on them".
So, in my opinion, that's probably what's happened here.
I've had items, in jiffy bags, that have been unsealed, I've given them to the manager to put into damaged goods bags. Got to the customer and gave her the item and she just rolled her eyes and said "I keep telling mum to seal these bags shut, as she never removes the strip on them".
So, in my opinion, that's probably what's happened here.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"