ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
vigilante
Posts: 1155
Joined: 20 May 2007, 19:13
Gender: Male
Location: dangerously close

Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?

Post by vigilante »

The Reps job is even more complicated now and he/she finds themselves between a rock and a hard place.
End of their cushy number someone stated? really have a go at it and see how you get on for a month!! For absolutely nothing and give loads of your time for nothing!!

I am not in the pockets of any management and yes we have to go about things differently these days but we can still use the IR framework if we disagree. The problem will always be budgets and targets.
It boils down to members 'Playing the game' or- Working properly! How many more times do we have to say this??
The management at our place were unhappy with people coming back early after stating they couldn't do lasing so they gave them work to do when they got back. IDEAL.
that's fine by me, shouldn't rush round, come in early etc!

I have been on all of the 'Together for Growth' brainwashing sessions which must have cost RM millions.
The trouble is this is just lip service. Where we have a tiered management and control and command system where each manager is answerable to the next down the chain,
we will never have this togetherness!
Yes we had a good pay deal, the agreement will not deliver as none of them ever have but with the regulator killing RM and the government engineering any way to get us privatised the union
were in a hard place.
Always be one step ahead, play their game but be wiser. Revenge is sweet.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?

Post by Chelseablue »

All we hear about constantly is savings savings savings, it's demoralising .
Roy Mayle
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 May 2015, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?

Post by Roy Mayle »

Hi

I returned from Leave today and before I could walk over to my work area I was asked by a Manager to go upstairs to his office, he had another Manager present.

They informed me that whilst I was on Leave they had absorbed my job (BRs/Revenue/RLB/D2D) and that my duty has now been withdrawn as it is now part of the indoor working methods. I asked if they had consulted with the CWU, he said no. I asked his rationale and he said it saves 39 hours from the operation. He then went on to tell me that I'd be trained in the RLE to cover a long term sick staff member until their return then I'd be an ad-hoc member of the team covering where needed.

I disputed this saying I'd only picked the duty last August and at twenty years I'm entitled to hold a duty and not be a spare. He disagreed, I had a turn and went sick with stress. I then went to see my CWU Rep who is talking to them on my behalf. In the meantime I went to see my GP and have been signed off with Work Related Stress.

Are they allowed to do this?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?

Post by fishtank »

You've been displaced by the business, you're entitled to pick any vacant duty until there is another repick.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Roy Mayle
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 May 2015, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?

Post by Roy Mayle »

Bu there aren't any full time duties in the unit, only fourteen 25 hour duties vacant............
Spy
Posts: 107
Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 17:57
Gender: Male

Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?

Post by Spy »

fishtank wrote:You've been displaced by the business, you're entitled to pick any vacant duty until there is another repick.
What about this mythical thing that I sometimes hear mentioned called BUMPING ?

Apparently, if a duty is taken out of an office, the person whose duty it is can then pick any other duty in the office as their own, as long as that duty holder has less seniority. The person who has now lost their duty then picks another under the same conditions. And so it continues.

Does anyone know if this is correct ?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

ah context.

Not allowed in my office as long as the duty was picked. If you were moved onto it temporarily, or without it being advertised then that is outside the agreement and you may be susceptible to bumping.

It might not be the same for all offices though.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
piranha
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 496
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 09:30
Gender: Male

Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?

Post by piranha »

I've been at RM over 10 years in that time I've had 4 do managers, 3 of them have been manipulative bullying @£$*ers. There seems to be a bullying culture in all levels of management.