Royal Mail postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliver in Bideford
http://www.northdevonjournal.co.uk/Roya ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A RESPECTED postman of 12 years' experience has admitted stealing mail containing cash and gifts on his delivery rounds.
Geoffrey Lacey, of Lime Grove, Bideford, would separate packages he was sorting in his trolley at Bideford's Royal Mail Delivery Office and take for himself those he thought contained cash.
He was caught in a sting by his employers, who became suspicious as complaints of undelivered packages increased.
They planted fake items containing gifts or cash in mail he was to sort, having narrowed down their group of suspects by looking at shift patterns, in an investigation that began in September 2014.
Lacey admitted three charges of theft when he appeared at North Devon Magistrates' Court on Friday.
Felicity Payne prosecuted the case on behalf of Royal Mail, and said a search of Lacey's home found various items that should have been delivered, mainly small cash amounts and small cash gifts.
Laceys's charges include stealing an unknown quantity of mail containing £155 cash and two video games, between February 1 and March 4, 2015, and stealing 16 postal packets of an unknown value on March 3 and one on February 11.
Rod Ball, for the defence, said colleagues of 54-year-old Lacey referred to "what a great postman he has been".
"He is a man of absolute good character", he added.
Mr Ball said there was some suggestion Lacey had suffered a breakdown and a stoke, which could ultimately turn out to offer some explanation for his offending. He also hinted there may be difficult family circumstances that contributed.
Magistrates adjourned sentencing to allow reports to be written up by the probation service, a Bideford psychiatrist and a GP, about Lacey's home life and his mental and physical health. These will be presented when he next appears at court on June 19.
Presiding magistrate Ian Kingsley said: "This was highly serious as it involved the integrity of the Royal Mail.
"Items were expected to be received, possibly by children and this was a theft of high seriousness for those concerned."
Lacey was granted unconditional bail.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliver
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliver
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliv
Very hard to say how a stroke can affect people,no doubt the baying mob will be on here soon wanting him hung or shot.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
westham000
- Posts: 106
- Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 18:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliv
Millions of people have strokes and have family problems, they don't necessary become thieves and start stealing. I work O/T to get extra cash,even if it means going to another office. and if their was no docket I'll get a 2nd job. Stealing from the public not only undermines all our jobs ,, it also losses respect that Royal Mail has a business has built up over the years!
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliv
I see you know nothing about the effects of a stroke,one of the side effects is a personality change,this could quite easy explain his change.westham000 wrote:Millions of people have strokes and have family problems, they don't necessary become thieves and start stealing. I work O/T to get extra cash,even if it means going to another office. and if their was no docket I'll get a 2nd job. Stealing from the public not only undermines all our jobs ,, it also losses respect that Royal Mail has a business has built up over the years!
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliv
are you a doctor too many thieves in royal mail and their solicitors make all sorts of excuses for them once a thief always a thief just my opinon.DB1100 wrote:I see you know nothing about the effects of a stroke,one of the side effects is a personality change,this could quite easy explain his change.westham000 wrote:Millions of people have strokes and have family problems, they don't necessary become thieves and start stealing. I work O/T to get extra cash,even if it means going to another office. and if their was no docket I'll get a 2nd job. Stealing from the public not only undermines all our jobs ,, it also losses respect that Royal Mail has a business has built up over the years!
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliv
Do some reading up on the effects of strokes before engaging your brain cell,possibly the most ridiculous statement you have ever made.A stroke effects many area's of the brain and can radically alter a persons personality,a timid person can become aggressive,an extrovert can become introverted and a person who wouldn't normally do certain things can after suffering a stroke,let's hope none of your family or friends suffer's oneaiden01 wrote:are you a doctor too many thieves in royal mail and their solicitors make all sorts of excuses for them once a thief always a thief just my opinon.DB1100 wrote:I see you know nothing about the effects of a stroke,one of the side effects is a personality change,this could quite easy explain his change.westham000 wrote:Millions of people have strokes and have family problems, they don't necessary become thieves and start stealing. I work O/T to get extra cash,even if it means going to another office. and if their was no docket I'll get a 2nd job. Stealing from the public not only undermines all our jobs ,, it also losses respect that Royal Mail has a business has built up over the years!
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliv
I can't make any comment about this dude but I know from personal experience that when a close family member experienced a stroke then they became exceedingly dishonest to all of us for no apparent reason afterwards. The dishonesty only surfaced after the person died and left a lot of complications for us to deal with. The brain is a funny old thing, and when it gets broke then it doesn't often seem to follow logic.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliv
I had a stroke 13 years ago and I haven't started stealing yet, maybe there's something wrong with me. 
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postman stole letters and gifts he was supposed to deliv
Just because you haven't been affected in that way doesn't mean other people won't be.I'm glad you came out of it ok.dvbuk55 wrote:I had a stroke 13 years ago and I haven't started stealing yet, maybe there's something wrong with me.
For we were soldiers once,and young