ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Vince Cable
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Vince Cable
Anybody who believes that a country developing into what is effectively a one party state is a good thing really does not deserve to be included in the democratic process.
A complete rethink by the Labour party is necessary, the adoption of dog whistle, right wing policies just to suit a predominantly right wing media is not. The rise of the SNP in Scotland has shown that there is a place for socially responsible politics at least north of the border, however I fear for my brothers and sisters in England who seem to have bought the lie that everything is everyone else's fault. It is an insular dead end road that will only end in misery.
A complete rethink by the Labour party is necessary, the adoption of dog whistle, right wing policies just to suit a predominantly right wing media is not. The rise of the SNP in Scotland has shown that there is a place for socially responsible politics at least north of the border, however I fear for my brothers and sisters in England who seem to have bought the lie that everything is everyone else's fault. It is an insular dead end road that will only end in misery.
Last edited by fishtank on 10 May 2015, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
halfull
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 858
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Vince Cable
maybe russell brand would be a good leader for this new labour party we need 
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Vince Cable
I didn't buy into that lie.fishtank wrote:A complete rethink by the Labour party is necessary, the adoption of dog whistle, right wing policies just to suit a predominantly right wing media is not. The rise of the SNP in Scotland has shown that there is a place for socially responsible politics at least north of the border, however I fear for my brothers and sisters in England who seem to have bought the lie that everything is everyone else's fault. It is an insular dead end road that will only end in misery.
I would move to Scotland if it wasn't so cold and dark for much of the year.
I think that a lot of working people who voted Conservative will come to regret that over the next five years. But Labour wasn't much better.
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Vince Cable
I think maybe it will be the Scots who will be regretting voting SNP if Cameron calls Sturgeon's bluff and devolves tax raising powers to the Scottish Parliament. It would be the end of the Barnett Formula and she would have to either cut services or raise taxes to cover the shortfall.baldrick wrote:I didn't buy into that lie.fishtank wrote:A complete rethink by the Labour party is necessary, the adoption of dog whistle, right wing policies just to suit a predominantly right wing media is not. The rise of the SNP in Scotland has shown that there is a place for socially responsible politics at least north of the border, however I fear for my brothers and sisters in England who seem to have bought the lie that everything is everyone else's fault. It is an insular dead end road that will only end in misery.
I would move to Scotland if it wasn't so cold and dark for much of the year.![]()
I think that a lot of working people who voted Conservative will come to regret that over the next five years. But Labour wasn't much better.
Lets face it, the SNP taking all those seats from Liebore never made a difference to the result and Cameron would love to discredit the SNP before the next Scottish elections, which are next year I believe?
-
pinstripe
- Posts: 2474
- Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
- Gender: Male
- Location: 2 left turns from reality
Re: Vince Cable
That is exactly what I thought.baldrick wrote: I think that a lot of working people who voted Conservative will come to regret that over the next five years. But Labour wasn't much better.
I did not vote simply because there was not one candidate or party in my constituency that I felt represented me. I had a choice of Tory, Labour, UKIP, Liberal or Greens and none of them even come close.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Vince Cable
Would those tax raising powers in Scotland include the right to tax oil and gas revenues?
Obviously not yet those and vat, tv license, vehicle duty, alcohol, cigarettes and loads of other taxes would all have to continue to be centrally collected and then distributed...using the Barnett formula.
Even Boris will have to choke on the fact that any "mansion tax" will have to be distributed across the entire country.
Obviously not yet those and vat, tv license, vehicle duty, alcohol, cigarettes and loads of other taxes would all have to continue to be centrally collected and then distributed...using the Barnett formula.
Even Boris will have to choke on the fact that any "mansion tax" will have to be distributed across the entire country.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Vince Cable
I concur, especially the fact that newspaper media continues to influence the electorate. I was hoping with the rise of social media that this would be a less important factor in this election, but I don't think that was necessarily the case.fishtank wrote:Anybody who believes that a country developing into what is effectively a one party state is a good thing really does not deserve to be included in the democratic process.
A complete rethink by the Labour party is necessary, the adoption of dog whistle, right wing policies just to suit a predominantly right wing media is not. The rise of the SNP in Scotland has shown that there is a place for socially responsible politics at least north of the border, however I fear for my brothers and sisters in England who seem to have bought the lie that everything is everyone else's fault. It is an insular dead end road that will only end in misery.
'Libraries gave us power'
-
pinstripe
- Posts: 2474
- Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
- Gender: Male
- Location: 2 left turns from reality
Re: Vince Cable
[quote="mickeymacca"
I concur, especially the fact that newspaper media continues to influence the electorate. I was hoping with the rise of social media that this would be a less important factor in this election, but I don't think that was necessarily the case.[/quote]
I think that social media actually re-enforced the half truths and outright lies told by the media.
I concur, especially the fact that newspaper media continues to influence the electorate. I was hoping with the rise of social media that this would be a less important factor in this election, but I don't think that was necessarily the case.[/quote]
I think that social media actually re-enforced the half truths and outright lies told by the media.
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Vince Cable
I think that social media actually re-enforced the half truths and outright lies told by the media.[/quote]pinstripe wrote:[quote="mickeymacca"
I concur, especially the fact that newspaper media continues to influence the electorate. I was hoping with the rise of social media that this would be a less important factor in this election, but I don't think that was necessarily the case.
Yeh you're spot on, I naively thought it would provide a platform for open debate about issues, and in that respect by-pass the influence of the press. However as you say it was the agenda that was set by the press thatwas discussed.......disappointing.
'Libraries gave us power'
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2227
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: Vince Cable
Wait for all the cuts coming for the man at the bottom , yep England is Tory blue . The Tories must think they are untouchable now , boris to look forward to soon.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Vince Cable
But David won't hand over to Boris soon after unexpectedly getting an outright majority.Chelseablue wrote:Wait for all the cuts coming for the man at the bottom , yep England is Tory blue . The Tories must think they are untouchable now , boris to look forward to soon.
-
hans solo
- Posts: 3291
- Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Vince Cable
you could all move to eccosse and vote snp
-
simply_the_best
- Posts: 594
- Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29
Re: Vince Cable
hans solo wrote:you could all move to eccosse and vote snp
Along with the 35% of the electorate that just voted for them.
I wonder what Sturgeon's reaction will be if Cameron offers her the FFA that they were wanting.