ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32798
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/ ... -1-6715176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/webimage/1.6715175.1430289434!/image/1669536897.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/1669536897.jpgROYAL Mail has come under fire after one of its drivers parked in a disabled bay – when there were other available spaces nearby.
The Royal Mail van was photographed in a disabled bay at Purbrook Chase precinct, off Crookhorn Lane, Crookhorn.
The picture was taken by a Crookhorn resident who was shocked to see the van reverse into the space and the postman walk into the nearby Co-op, which contains a post office.
The 41-year-old, who did not want to be named, was angry as his wife is disabled with fibromyalgia and relies on disabled spaces.
The man said: ‘At the time I was just waiting at the bus stop. The Royal Mail man just turned up and reversed into the disabled space and went into the post office.
‘There were two or three spaces to the left that he could have parked in. I waited about five minutes for my bus and he was still there.’
Three years ago the same scenario was reported in The News when a resident, Andrew Bundy, said he had seen Royal Mail vans regularly parking in the disabled bay.
At the time Royal Mail officials said it was ‘unacceptable’ for employees to park in disabled bays.
The man added: ‘I thought they would have learned their lesson by now, but obviously not.
‘It just seems a joke because if someone is severely disabled and turned up they would have to walk further.’
By law, it is offence to park in an on-street disabled space without a valid blue badge, unless there is a ‘reasonable excuse’. If taken to court, it can carry a maximum fine of £1,000.
However, it is understood the precinct is privately owned and it is not an offence to misuse a disabled bay on private land.
Spokeswoman Val Bodden said: ‘Royal Mail always advises our drivers to park safely and responsibly while collecting or delivering mail and we will repeat this message to our drivers. On this occasion, the driver was in and out of the premises in Crookhorn in a short time frame, collecting mail from the post office within the store.’
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/webimage/1.6715175.1430289434!/image/1669536897.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/1669536897.jpgROYAL Mail has come under fire after one of its drivers parked in a disabled bay – when there were other available spaces nearby.
The Royal Mail van was photographed in a disabled bay at Purbrook Chase precinct, off Crookhorn Lane, Crookhorn.
The picture was taken by a Crookhorn resident who was shocked to see the van reverse into the space and the postman walk into the nearby Co-op, which contains a post office.
The 41-year-old, who did not want to be named, was angry as his wife is disabled with fibromyalgia and relies on disabled spaces.
The man said: ‘At the time I was just waiting at the bus stop. The Royal Mail man just turned up and reversed into the disabled space and went into the post office.
‘There were two or three spaces to the left that he could have parked in. I waited about five minutes for my bus and he was still there.’
Three years ago the same scenario was reported in The News when a resident, Andrew Bundy, said he had seen Royal Mail vans regularly parking in the disabled bay.
At the time Royal Mail officials said it was ‘unacceptable’ for employees to park in disabled bays.
The man added: ‘I thought they would have learned their lesson by now, but obviously not.
‘It just seems a joke because if someone is severely disabled and turned up they would have to walk further.’
By law, it is offence to park in an on-street disabled space without a valid blue badge, unless there is a ‘reasonable excuse’. If taken to court, it can carry a maximum fine of £1,000.
However, it is understood the precinct is privately owned and it is not an offence to misuse a disabled bay on private land.
Spokeswoman Val Bodden said: ‘Royal Mail always advises our drivers to park safely and responsibly while collecting or delivering mail and we will repeat this message to our drivers. On this occasion, the driver was in and out of the premises in Crookhorn in a short time frame, collecting mail from the post office within the store.’
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
I think you need to put it in perspective that van driver would need the shortest and safest route to his van and collection point and this would take most of 10 minutes to do his collection, he would be gone, its a completely different ball game from when you see a rich person or worse a young woman with her hair all done up in rollers in a range rover, chelsea tractors or BMW driving skinhead thug parking on the spot all day, yes I have seen it myself, do these moaning busy bodies complain about them ?
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
Indeed, and have they forgotten that it's Her Majesty's mail and so we're exempt from all road traffic regulations ?NWpostie wrote:I think you need to put it in perspective that van driver would need the shortest and safest route to his van and collection point and this would take most of 10 minutes to do his collection, he would be gone, its a completely different ball game from when you see a rich person or worse a young woman with her hair all done up in rollers in a range rover, chelsea tractors or BMW driving skinhead thug parking on the spot all day, yes I have seen it myself, do these moaning busy bodies complain about them ?
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
As a person with disabled and elderly parents past and present this stinks
and cannot be excused
Piss poor PR for RM.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
Pommy,Pompey Boy wrote:As a person with disabled and elderly parents past and present this stinksand cannot be excused
Piss poor PR for RM.
I'm not sure of the relevance of you having disabled and elderly parents past and present but, away from the confines of a Mail Centre, us out on the public highway are under such pressure that such transgressions, regrettable as they are, are sometimes unavoidable.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
Pensioners and moaning goes together surely as night follows day, the complainant was probably waiting for the outrage bus to come to their bus stop, then you can hear them a mile off moaning, you can probably smell the wee before you see them.

Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
Old people do lots of strange things, but not all disabled people are old.
As I said very poor PR for Royal Mail, and the contents of a thread like don't doesn't help. Have the moderators gone on holiday?
As I said very poor PR for Royal Mail, and the contents of a thread like don't doesn't help. Have the moderators gone on holiday?
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
LL the relevance is that it is very difficult taking disabled friends and relatives out. You need to park as close as you can get to where you are going, get the wheelchair out of the car etc etc. Disabled spaces are a great help. Do you have any disabled friends or relatives and do you have any experience of how difficult it can be trying to get them out and about?Lounge Lizard wrote:Pommy,Pompey Boy wrote:As a person with disabled and elderly parents past and present this stinksand cannot be excused
Piss poor PR for RM.
I'm not sure of the relevance of you having disabled and elderly parents past and present but, away from the confines of a Mail Centre, us out on the public highway are under such pressure that such transgressions, regrettable as they are, are sometimes unavoidable.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
I myself have a disability under the Equality Act.Pompey Boy wrote:LL the relevance is that it is very difficult taking disabled friends and relatives out. You need to park as close as you can get to where you are going, get the wheelchair out of the car etc etc. Disabled spaces are a great help. Do you have any disabled friends or relatives and do you have any experience of how difficult it can be trying to get them out and about?Lounge Lizard wrote:Pommy,Pompey Boy wrote:As a person with disabled and elderly parents past and present this stinksand cannot be excused
Piss poor PR for RM.
I'm not sure of the relevance of you having disabled and elderly parents past and present but, away from the confines of a Mail Centre, us out on the public highway are under such pressure that such transgressions, regrettable as they are, are sometimes unavoidable.
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
Sorry to hear that LL - I do too. All the more reason for us to support people with disabilities.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
Yes - I am a Jedi baby so I took some annual leave.Pompey Boy wrote: Have the moderators gone on holiday?
However, despite his distasteful attempt at humour NWPostie has broken no rules. I suppose it does reflect somewhat on his politics which to me appear to be exclusive rather than inclusive, but hey thats his right in a democracy.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
I feel very uncomfortable with a thread that appears to be having a go at the disabled and the elderly. Let's not forget that we owe many elderly people for their actions during WWII. Also, lets not forget either our younger servicemen and women returning home with disabilities. Surely all of these people are worthy of our help and respect. Nuff said.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
I am in complete agreement, his views are allowed in a democracy, but the validity of them is non existent in my own opinion, and if I may be so bold probably shows a certain level of cognition that most of us try to exceed.Pompey Boy wrote:I feel very uncomfortable with a thread that appears to be having a go at the disabled and the elderly. Let's not forget that we owe many elderly people for their actions during WWII. Also, lets not forget either our younger servicemen and women returning home with disabilities. Surely all of these people are worthy of our help and respect. Nuff said.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
Pommy,Pompey Boy wrote:I feel very uncomfortable with a thread that appears to be having a go at the disabled and the elderly. Let's not forget that we owe many elderly people for their actions during WWII. Also, lets not forget either our younger servicemen and women returning home with disabilities. Surely all of these people are worthy of our help and respect. Nuff said.
We're not all "having a go at the disabled and the elderly" but suggesting that assistance for them should be proportionate, and I didn't only start having consideration for those less fortunate than myself once I too suffered a disability.
Yes, "we owe many elderly people for their actions during WWII" except it's not so many now, and as for "our younger servicemen and women returning home with disabilities" I blame Blair.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Fury as Royal Mail van takes up disabled spot
Hang on a minute, what has politics has got to do with my comment ? I don't see the connection. I hope you were not trying to have a dig because of our previous political discussions ?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yes - I am a Jedi baby so I took some annual leave.Pompey Boy wrote: Have the moderators gone on holiday?![]()
However, despite his distasteful attempt at humour NWPostie has broken no rules. I suppose it does reflect somewhat on his politics which to me appear to be exclusive rather than inclusive, but hey thats his right in a democracy.
For the record I have my run ins with moaning old buggers who gave nothing to do with their time other than to moan about the most petty thing. I have no time for Victor Meldrews who make posties and other public workers lives harder for no other reason to give them a pathetically warm glow over what little power they can gain in their short time left on earth. They will not be remembered fondly.
HOWEVER I have plenty of time for the genuinely needy disabled people and genuinely nice old people, either to drop the mail in the house fir them if they are immobile or help them across the road.
Don't you dare try to link politics with my semi sarcastic comment about Victor Meldrews it's disingenuous and does you no service, to assume I'm an intolerant right winger is quite frankly very insulting and indicates your own pre judgement before facts, for the record I'm middle of the road, I'm not tied to any particular political party, I'm not a sheep, I think for myself and vote as I see fit I have voted left and right depending on policies.
For the record Post Vehicles are allowed to bend traffic rules in the execution of their duty, such as crossing bus lanes or double yellow lines to a post box, on occasions they are permitted to use disabled spot if security considerations requires it as can be seen in the original post, at all times you should always try to keep am eye on your van and watch for suspicious characters, even then the stop over is not likely to be more than 10 Minutes as per scanning windows. That us why we carry the crown on our vehicles.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.