ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
-
flaminmoses
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 819
- Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
managers do have people skills....its just along similar lines to american cops.
bully 1st think later.
bully 1st think later.
-
spiro
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 17 Nov 2013, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
At least you have meetings, my office doesn't. Do people actually know they are going on? In my experience a lot of staff are out of the loop on that sort of thing, particularly new starts and part timers.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:We have weekly meetings and in an office of 200+ its the same 5 that keep turning up.spiro wrote:I think the union reps could keep posties better informed by having weekly meetings where we can all find out what's going on and how best to deal with things like being bullied. I think a lot of people in that position feel isolated. If posties knew the union had their backs they might be more willing to stand up to managers.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72763
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
I try to pass on what I glean from here, and now even managers are asking me for details on some matters.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
trythat
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 720
- Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
When I became rep, I tried meetings for once a month, I did 2 and on the third it was just the usual couple of people who turned up, it was easier to just see them. Very dissapointing, people don't want to know anything unless their are in the s**t or something might effect them, human nature I suppose. Having a comittee is one way around it as there are more poeple for staff to check in with.spiro wrote:I think the union reps could keep posties better informed by having weekly meetings where we can all find out what's going on and how best to deal with things like being bullied. I think a lot of people in that position feel isolated. If posties knew the union had their backs they might be more willing to stand up to managers.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
What got me today was reading the Courier page three be prepared line three "Work together with OUR UNION on lapsing plans" well if that don't tell you enough you should stick your head in the sand and become an ostrich! 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72763
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
k979aaa wrote:What got me today was reading the Courier page three be prepared line three "Work together with OUR UNION on lapsing plans" well if that don't tell you enough you should stick your head in the sand and become an ostrich!

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4202
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
I dont think its easy being a Union Rep in todays privatised Royal Mail
Modernisation of delivery offices simply means fewer staff and bigger rounds. Reps don't have much influence over working methods in an office if the majority of the staff abuse them by not using their trolleys or not working to their time. And that just gives managers a license to persist with the lapsing regardless of the few that are prepared to stick to their guns and do the job as you are supposed to do it.
In large offices, I do think that there should be a rep for each section, because each section probably operates differently. However, I suspect that most reps are banging their heads against the wall when they hold meetings and hardly anyone turns up!! This, when managers have numerous meetings to introducing more lapsing, indoor work tools, efficiency tables and new PDAs (tracker) which are all designed to put more pressure on long suffering posties....
So these union meetings are designed so that you know what to do when you feel bullied into doing extra work, how you stand with regards to being pressured into coming back into work if you are sick or what to do if you have a dispute etc etc etc
And from the many topics that crop up on these boards, this appears to be the one that far and away seems to frustrate most postmen and women.
Modernisation of delivery offices simply means fewer staff and bigger rounds. Reps don't have much influence over working methods in an office if the majority of the staff abuse them by not using their trolleys or not working to their time. And that just gives managers a license to persist with the lapsing regardless of the few that are prepared to stick to their guns and do the job as you are supposed to do it.
In large offices, I do think that there should be a rep for each section, because each section probably operates differently. However, I suspect that most reps are banging their heads against the wall when they hold meetings and hardly anyone turns up!! This, when managers have numerous meetings to introducing more lapsing, indoor work tools, efficiency tables and new PDAs (tracker) which are all designed to put more pressure on long suffering posties....
So these union meetings are designed so that you know what to do when you feel bullied into doing extra work, how you stand with regards to being pressured into coming back into work if you are sick or what to do if you have a dispute etc etc etc
And from the many topics that crop up on these boards, this appears to be the one that far and away seems to frustrate most postmen and women.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
BingBong
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 755
- Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: the north
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
a strike is the only way things will change, or if there is an overtime ban across all offices. wont happen though.Krafty wrote:The Union is not helping us.
We are supposed to be signed up to an agreement where we will not be bullied etc. etc.
But what is happening - a lot of us posties are sick of the job due to bullying and not having enough time to complete the delivery, having to argue with management every day before you go out; getting conducted for the most trivial of things; management not listening when you say the walk is too long; adding more to your walk when you told them that you didn't have enough time.........
I am now on sick leave with stress.
I never thought that anything could get to me, but this has after two years of not being listened to.
Something has to be done, and soon!
Toon Army!
-
Puppetmaster
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 19:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
I think all reps should go out and do these walks regularly then see what the union says about them ,includes all officers ate all levels.!spiro wrote:I think the union reps could keep posties better informed by having weekly meetings where we can all find out what's going on and how best to deal with things like being bullied. I think a lot of people in that position feel isolated. If posties knew the union had their backs they might be more willing to stand up to managers.
-
BingBong
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 755
- Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: the north
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
if everyone worked only their contracted hours, did the job properly, took their meal relief, put a ban on overtime and cut off if they knew they wouldnt complete and this happened across all offices in the country they would start to listen. would take a a few days or a week at the most to bring the company to its knees. theyd have to listen then.Puppetmaster wrote:I think all reps should go out and do these walks regularly then see what the union says about them ,includes all officers ate all levels.!spiro wrote:I think the union reps could keep posties better informed by having weekly meetings where we can all find out what's going on and how best to deal with things like being bullied. I think a lot of people in that position feel isolated. If posties knew the union had their backs they might be more willing to stand up to managers.
again though wont happen.
we are all in it to be shafted now.
Toon Army!
-
BingBong
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 755
- Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: the north
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
in my opinion it all went wrong when we didnt strike just before the new agreement. if we had gone ahead with the strike we could of been more forceful of what needs to be done. im not saying the agreement as a whole wasnt good but we could of had better.Puppetmaster wrote:I think all reps should go out and do these walks regularly then see what the union says about them ,includes all officers ate all levels.!spiro wrote:I think the union reps could keep posties better informed by having weekly meetings where we can all find out what's going on and how best to deal with things like being bullied. I think a lot of people in that position feel isolated. If posties knew the union had their backs they might be more willing to stand up to managers.
Toon Army!
-
tiggle
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 19 Feb 2010, 20:44
- Gender: Female
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
same at our place.we try union meetings at break time or after wtl which take place before most part timers are in and everyone else is looking at their watch after 3 minutes and just walk out mid ,everyone still has time to say how sh... the union is and has the " it doesn't affect me ,so im not interested"attitude.trythat wrote:When I became rep, I tried meetings for once a month, I did 2 and on the third it was just the usual couple of people who turned up, it was easier to just see them. Very dissapointing, people don't want to know anything unless their are in the s**t or something might effect them, human nature I suppose. Having a comittee is one way around it as there are more poeple for staff to check in with.spiro wrote:I think the union reps could keep posties better informed by having weekly meetings where we can all find out what's going on and how best to deal with things like being bullied. I think a lot of people in that position feel isolated. If posties knew the union had their backs they might be more willing to stand up to managers.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12203
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
BingBong wrote:if everyone worked only their contracted hours, did the job properly, took their meal relief, put a ban on overtime and cut off if they knew they wouldnt complete and this happened across all offices in the country they would start to listen. would take a a few days or a week at the most to bring the company to its knees. theyd have to listen then.Puppetmaster wrote:I think all reps should go out and do these walks regularly then see what the union says about them ,includes all officers ate all levels.!spiro wrote:I think the union reps could keep posties better informed by having weekly meetings where we can all find out what's going on and how best to deal with things like being bullied. I think a lot of people in that position feel isolated. If posties knew the union had their backs they might be more willing to stand up to managers.
I wouldn't be surprised if the staff who run round their walks, come in early, etc are probably the ones who complain the most about extra lapsing, which they've created the scope for!
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
Our revision is due too. The runners have finally gotten what they wanted - Extra mail to be delivered in the same amount of work time.
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Why are we all putting up with this rubbish?
I am amazed at just how stupid people can be by still coming in early. In fact as so many people are already in and working hard! at their frames I was begining to think I had got my start time wrong!
These people are constantly being thanked by the management, while I get hassle from them for finishing my round on time!! Its a mad World!!
These people are constantly being thanked by the management, while I get hassle from them for finishing my round on time!! Its a mad World!!