ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Resign and Seniority

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by datasaint »

I think all logbooks should be kept within the glove box of the vehicle, makes no sense taking it back to the office.
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by bogstandard »

the information is there, like it or loath it. It's factual and accurate. In the unfortunate event that we find ourselves in front of management they work to policy, agreements and the law. Should push come to shove the manager concerned will most likley hear your mitigating circumstances and the refer to HR who don't know you or me go with their advice.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by blakeyboy »

What I can't understand is why drivers don't get paid more than non drivers how is this fair?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

chrisj wrote:Very few people will drive for RM if they have to follow some of the things highlighted by TrueBlue... Unless, of course, it is a singleton round.
The should follow them is what I have said, not that they have to - but if they don't they know the consequences.
chrisj wrote:True, have you seen the state of RM vans? Mechanical fault resulting in accidents - if we all worry about that every time we step into our own cars or RM vans, we shall become paranoid very quickly... Some RM vans are not in a fit state with bald tyres, even under pumped tyres, who checks the oil or screen wash, vehicles pulling, gears jumping out (old big vans), some do not even fill up when the dial is near zero, filthy vans, people that have smoked in the van and other wanting to do so, the list goes on.
The law won't care - the driver IS responsible no matter what excuses/reasons are given
chrisj wrote:As korky said, why should anyone have to take all that responsibility unless there is some sort of perk - and our drivers do not have perks!
You take that responsibility when you get your licence and when you accept the job offer. I agree there should be some compensation but there isn't and RM and the Law don't care if there is or there isn't.
chrisj wrote:Can you tell who was driving 2 weeks down the line - why not? As long as it tells you where the offence took place - changing drivers is not exactly willy-nilly, but sometimes it is systematic and has been built into the duty by walkholders or the understanding is there; especially on busy days with parcels etc.
Its not just about your legal responsibilities though, RM has a statutory duty to know who is driving at any specific time when asked to provide details, they don't know unless the log book is kept up to date.

I'll reiterate it again, I could give a flying flute whether you, old bob, or your manager follow the letter of the law, or ignore it at your convenience, or even if you decide to use it as replacement toilet paper. However, the law is quite specific and you should only ignore it in the full knowledge of the consequences.

In reality will everyone follow the rules to the letter, no. Even I will ignore certain aspects for different reasons, but I only do so in the full knowledge of the consequences of being caught.

At the very least, I would check the tyres for flats and tread depth (by eye). A brake test, even a washer/wiper test, and lights check can all be done whilst driving along, and an oil test while advisable when you have the chance, can be circumvented by scanning your instruments whilst driving, and most mechanical problems usually have a noise to accompany them. Thats how I was trained to do a "field" inspection anyway.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by blakeyboy »

Why do non drivers get the same rate of pay as non drivers to me that is wrong.Im not saying my wage is too low I just think as a driver I should get slightly more than people that don't drive.What are peoples thoughts on this
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Me personally I think there should be recognition of skills There should be some compensation for using, and risking your licence, but also I think reserves should be recognised as well, a good reserve is an asset to any office, and a happy one even more so. :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by bogstandard »

TWF does recognise this £6, however those who have picked up driving since jan 1st 2000 will not see any benefit.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by DB1100 »

blakeyboy wrote:What I can't understand is why drivers don't get paid more than non drivers how is this fair?
In the same case,why don't first aiders get paid extra for taking the time and trouble to learn how to help people in an emergency?,I suppose it's just one of the many inequalities at RM.
For we were soldiers once,and young
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by fishtank »

blakeyboy wrote:Why do non drivers get the same rate of pay as non drivers to me that is wrong.Im not saying my wage is too low I just think as a driver I should get slightly more than people that don't drive.What are peoples thoughts on this

To be fair we voted for it ourselves with the Way Forward Agreement and the move to a single role (OPG), many of the allowances that disappeared (including the sick squid driving allowance for new drivers) were used to finance the pay rise that went with it and nobody turned that down.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Resign and Seniority

Post by blakeyboy »

I've only been here two years and the wage we are on is very good but I find it a joke that us drivers who have so much more responsibility than a non driver yet we both get paid the same.The non drivers should be on a slightly lower rate even if it's only £10 a week less