ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Adding more delivery calls!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postslippete
Posts: 4202
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Adding more delivery calls!!

Post by postslippete »

Yes, I agree the overrunning deliveries document is quite dated now (but is still relevant) and managers have tried using various and new techniques since then to ensure staff do the extra work that is required. By the way, if you are getting hassle for claiming OT you really do have to stand firm and DON'T do it!!!!


They tried all sorts with me in the past. Typical ways to goad me into taking the extra work include:


You have told me too early, can you not wait whilst you have tied up...and then when I have tied up, he's done a runner and is nowhere to be seen!!

However, there are other managers in the office, including his manager, the DOM. And he should always be present in the office.

Why tell me now? How can I find someone to cover this work at this time??

Its not your problem. Do try tell the gaffer in good time before tie-up though. You just do the work that is required to take you up to your time. And work reasonably. If its a very busy day, ask the manager what the mail traffic forecast is and use that to get some work taken off.

Can you give me 30 minutes / 1 hour flex today??

You don't have to!! Be careful on this one. Managers generally want staff to be flexible but I think what really annoys managers is having postmen saying that they can't take the collapse on one day because it will take them over their time, and then finish before their time by half an hour the next.

I can get someone to put in your D2Ds in your frame for tomorrow!?

I would rather do it myself, although now and again if it is not too busy I might agree to this. It is your call.

The indoor prep test!!

I have never really understood this one. Some managers might think that some posties leave the office later than others because they are slower at prepping the frame. The trouble is, the way the work plan has changed means that everyone is working differently. For example, one guy could be walk sorting, whilst another might have come in early and is prepping his own frame. Its obvious which guy is going to be leaving and therefore finishing earlier! Different people work at different rates; and I've, for example, yet to see a postman with 20 years experience, suddenly fail on the prepping side! You see, its just another way to force you into taking the work, so that they don't have too...and when you've past that test...

Working with an athlete....which does work because....he does all the running for me and I do all the walking for him! lol


It took quite some time with snide remarks and petty bullying etc etc etc. Its more difficult too when all your colleagues are racing out the office because they don't want the hassle, and they are still doing it now. :crazy: But the one thing I always knew, was that the manager would not come out with me on delivery for a full week to assess the round for himself using the trolleys provided. He used to be a postman, so it seems like a fair call to make. And thats because they knew, deep down, that I was right...

And when you know you're right...you just keep going at it. Don't get emotional and vent your spleen about what mail the rep left when he was on the same round. Just do your job and make sure you don't rush it like all the others. Customers complain when postmen have walked across the garden, dropped lazzy bands on the path, left parcels on unsecured doorsteps etc etc etc
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32815
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Adding more delivery calls!!

Post by POSTMAN »

fly-catcher,your rep is a knob.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Adding more delivery calls!!

Post by redneck »

postslippete wrote:Yes, I agree the overrunning deliveries document is quite dated now (but is still relevant) and managers have tried using various and new techniques since then to ensure staff do the extra work that is required. By the way, if you are getting hassle for claiming OT you really do have to stand firm and DON'T do it!!!!


They tried all sorts with me in the past. Typical ways to goad me into taking the extra work include:


You have told me too early, can you not wait whilst you have tied up...and then when I have tied up, he's done a runner and is nowhere to be seen!!

However, there are other managers in the office, including his manager, the DOM. And he should always be present in the office.

Why tell me now? How can I find someone to cover this work at this time??

Its not your problem. Do try tell the gaffer in good time before tie-up though. You just do the work that is required to take you up to your time. And work reasonably. If its a very busy day, ask the manager what the mail traffic forecast is and use that to get some work taken off.

Can you give me 30 minutes / 1 hour flex today??

You don't have to!! Be careful on this one. Managers generally want staff to be flexible but I think what really annoys managers is having postmen saying that they can't take the collapse on one day because it will take them over their time, and then finish before their time by half an hour the next.

I can get someone to put in your D2Ds in your frame for tomorrow!?

I would rather do it myself, although now and again if it is not too busy I might agree to this. It is your call.

The indoor prep test!!

I have never really understood this one. Some managers might think that some posties leave the office later than others because they are slower at prepping the frame. The trouble is, the way the work plan has changed means that everyone is working differently. For example, one guy could be walk sorting, whilst another might have come in early and is prepping his own frame. Its obvious which guy is going to be leaving and therefore finishing earlier! Different people work at different rates; and I've, for example, yet to see a postman with 20 years experience, suddenly fail on the prepping side! You see, its just another way to force you into taking the work, so that they don't have too...and when you've past that test...

Working with an athlete....which does work because....he does all the running for me and I do all the walking for him! lol


It took quite some time with snide remarks and petty bullying etc etc etc. Its more difficult too when all your colleagues are racing out the office because they don't want the hassle, and they are still doing it now. :crazy: But the one thing I always knew, was that the manager would not come out with me on delivery for a full week to assess the round for himself using the trolleys provided. He used to be a postman, so it seems like a fair call to make. And thats because they knew, deep down, that I was right...

And when you know you're right...you just keep going at it. Don't get emotional and vent your spleen about what mail the rep left when he was on the same round. Just do your job and make sure you don't rush it like all the others. Customers complain when postmen have walked across the garden, dropped lazzy bands on the path, left parcels on unsecured doorsteps etc etc etc
A very good assessment of the chicanery that goes on every day across the UK's delivery offices with Royal Mail!