ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Kidsgrove group's 235-mile cycle to support two charities

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Kidsgrove group's 235-mile cycle to support two charities

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Kidsgrov ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

POSTMAN Adrian Mason normally covers 10 miles a day during his rounds delivering letters.

But the 48-year-old is taking on nearly five times that distance during a charity cycle ride.

Adrian and his son Scott, are hoping to complete 235 miles over five days to support two charities.

The pair have been joined by friends Phil Shield, Ian Wears and Howard Goodwin for the ride, which has been organised to support The Donna Louise Children's Hospice Trust and Help for Heroes.


Adrian, of Hollins Crescent, Talke, said: "Scott is very active and he does a lot of training so I had no doubt he could do it but I knew it was going to be a real challenge for me.

The 48-year-old, who delivers letters in Audley, Alsager and Kidsgrove, said: "I do a lot of walking on my rounds I do a bit of cycling but that's it really.

"I have been feeling apprehensive about it as we got closer to the event, especially when I have seen how much we need to carry with us on our backs."

The group started their journey from Kidsgrove's Bathpool Park today.

The cyclists aim to reach Buckingham Palace on Friday.

Scott, aged 20, who works as an electronic gaming host, said: "My friend Ian came up with the idea of cycling to London and I thought it would be a great way for us to raise money for charity.

"We are all keen cyclists but none of us have ever done this distance before."

Scott was inspired to support Help For Heroes after a knee injury stopped his training to join the Royal Marines.

He added: "I am hoping to go back to that one day so it is something I am passionate about.

"These ex-servicemen have done a lot for our country and we should be supporting them in any way we can."

The group have already raised more than their £1,000 target in sponsorship.

Father-of-three Phil Shield, aged 48, of Woodhall Road, Kidsgrove, is riding to help the Donna Louise.

He said: "It is every parents' nightmare to go through what the parents who use the services go through on a daily basis so I am hoping we can raise a lot of money for them."

The group will be travelling through Tamworth, Leamington Spa, Milton Keynes and Watford before reaching London.

Howard Goodwin, aged 58, of Liverpool Road, Kidsgrove, said: "I am the oldest one in the group but when I heard about it, I decided to go for it."

Ian Wears, aged 52, of Attwood Street, Kidsgrove, said: "I am worried about the last couple of miles but we will be supporting each other."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Kidsgrove group's 235-mile cycle to support two charitie

Post by arnold cheshire »

there must be a few pubs on the route along the canal well done ade
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Kidsgrove group's 235-mile cycle to support two charitie

Post by arnold cheshire »

did you guys complete the ride to london ? straight in the pub after ?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Kidsgrove group's 235-mile cycle to support two charitie

Post by arnold cheshire »

the good thing is on canals its all flat