ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Lapsing ......grrrr
-
iamnotadoormat
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
I'm curious. You all talk about lapsing. In our do the lapsing is built into our duty. Ie it is on our frame and we have to do it. If it is a heavy day you can approach management for relief, but it usually ends up as an arguement.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
how long has it been on your duties ? if theyre running it all year long then surely it cant be achievable if the revision was implemented ?iamnotadoormat wrote:I'm curious. You all talk about lapsing. In our do the lapsing is built into our duty. Ie it is on our frame and we have to do it. If it is a heavy day you can approach management for relief, but it usually ends up as an arguement.
-
iamnotadoormat
- Posts: 125
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 10:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
Well it was added when the revision went live last year. They knew rightly most duties would be over, but they didnt care.
-
farstrider
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 17:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
think i did lapsing or absorbtion sometime in 2011....hmmmm maybe i didnt NEVER have enough time. suprising that
-
FinishOnTime
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
In our office, they insist that the lapsed is taken, even if it's at the expense of packets on your own delivery, or even if it means standing down mail. The discussion about having time to take it is fast becoming impossible to win.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4202
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
Look how far we have taken lapsing...
It started off as a 6 week summer thing because mail levels were low and now we are doing it all year round (with the exception of Xmas week). We are also collapsing more duties than ever before
Now, they have introduced this Indoor Workload Tool thing to improve indoor time to get us out on our deliveries earlier probably so they can lapse more duties!!

It started off as a 6 week summer thing because mail levels were low and now we are doing it all year round (with the exception of Xmas week). We are also collapsing more duties than ever before
Now, they have introduced this Indoor Workload Tool thing to improve indoor time to get us out on our deliveries earlier probably so they can lapse more duties!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
80 drops between two of us, takes about 10 minutes. It's on our fRamesh now and part of our deliveries, so if we cut off its usually packets that get left or brought back.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
So ~40 drops each in ~10mins, as in one drop per ~15seconds? I can only dream of such terraced housing with < 5 steps to their door from the pavement (or blocks of flats)!OnAFlyer wrote:80 drops between two of us, takes about 10 minutes. It's on our fRamesh now and part of our deliveries, so if we cut off its usually packets that get left or brought back.
I have loads of drops that take >10seconds to walk from the pavement to their door; post letters through completely (~2/3 seconds); stand still while I filter check each piece of mail for the next address (~3/4 seconds); then walk back to pavement (>10 seconds); move along to next address (~5 seconds).
This section of my walk is ~2 drops per minute, without there being any attendance calls or any item that requires PDA use.
-
dtyssmshdchrb
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 14:55
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
I get 66 calls with my lapsing, only takes about 10-15mins but my walk alone is a challenge and almost always under-prepped as it is. I can only do it on way below average days when I have no d2d's and most of my own duty has been prepped before I start (PT). So yeah, hardly ever say I can manage it. Sometimes after initially declining (after being asked as soon as I come in!) and reassessing my load after I'm finishing my prep I'll tell the DOM I should be able to do it, I never want to be thought of as just being lazy. Just a couple of delays on the walk though (more 739's written than usual, PDB* crashing endlessly, no parking spaces anywhere near a parcel delivery etc etc) can take me over my time.
Am I right in thinking that the bottom line (although not the managers first option obv and they'll do everything to avoid it) is that with cutting off/declining lapsing you can always inform your DOM that you'll take it, after you've been mildly coerced of course, but you'll call them when you're finishing up on your walk to inform them that you'll be bringing it back to get done on time? Never happened but wanna know I can play that card if need be.
*Personal Digital Brick
Am I right in thinking that the bottom line (although not the managers first option obv and they'll do everything to avoid it) is that with cutting off/declining lapsing you can always inform your DOM that you'll take it, after you've been mildly coerced of course, but you'll call them when you're finishing up on your walk to inform them that you'll be bringing it back to get done on time? Never happened but wanna know I can play that card if need be.
*Personal Digital Brick
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing ......grrrr
Yes, they're terraced with all letterboxes on the front, short paths and many don't even have gates. Great to deliver to, it's a shame our own walks aren't the same!IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:So ~40 drops each in ~10mins, as in one drop per ~15seconds? I can only dream of such terraced housing with < 5 steps to their door from the pavement (or blocks of flats)!OnAFlyer wrote:80 drops between two of us, takes about 10 minutes. It's on our fRamesh now and part of our deliveries, so if we cut off its usually packets that get left or brought back.
I have loads of drops that take >10seconds to walk from the pavement to their door; post letters through completely (~2/3 seconds); stand still while I filter check each piece of mail for the next address (~3/4 seconds); then walk back to pavement (>10 seconds); move along to next address (~5 seconds).
This section of my walk is ~2 drops per minute, without there being any attendance calls or any item that requires PDA use.