ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Are managers getting worse?
-
5plusbonusball
- Posts: 1136
- Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: up north of watford
Re: Are managers getting worse?
The problem with ours , without having too many, is that on a normal day you do your 12 loops and a share of 3 collapsed duties. They stand about chatting, shouting and snacking.
Then on an extremely busy day you still have to do your 12 loops , ok, still collapse but maybe only 2, while they STILL........ etc.
Until they can show us they earn their wages , I have little respect for them sorry.
Then on an extremely busy day you still have to do your 12 loops , ok, still collapse but maybe only 2, while they STILL........ etc.
Until they can show us they earn their wages , I have little respect for them sorry.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Are managers getting worse?
Now please stop stiring, or at least make sense. How can you attack someone verbally on a website, do I speak as a I type and perhaps you have hijacked my webcam. Of course I challenge people with a different opinion, its not really a debate if everyone agrees is it.Gilly856 wrote:You are right in most if not all of your observations, as ever you will belittled for having an opinion. The worst offenders are the admins who attack people verbally who don't sing from there own hymn sheet.Bishbashbbosh wrote:Agree with the system being terrible, but you don't hear new postmen/women moaning as much as the old because they appreciate the fact it is still a great job in the whole aspect of it. Many of the more senior ones just reminisce on the past, but a business can't continue as Royal Mail was. Some strange decisions from the powers that be but going in the right direction generally, just in a difficult period at the moment. Still think many should have more pride in giving a good service than they do though
I also see the Dom's are not the real problem!
If people can't tell the difference between me as a member voicing my opinions, and me acting as an Admin perhaps I should point out that my Admin posts are ALWAYS in GREEN.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
rusty nails
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 16:30
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
5plusbonusball wrote:The problem with ours , without having too many, is that on a normal day you do your 12 loops and a share of 3 collapsed duties. They stand about chatting, shouting and snacking.
Then on an extremely busy day you still have to do your 12 loops , ok, still collapse but maybe only 2, while they STILL........ etc.
Until they can show us they earn their wages , I have little respect for them sorry.
Couldn't have worded it better myself, although as well as chatting, shouting and snacking, they also slurp coffee.
-
Gilly856
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 13 Nov 2014, 13:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
Interesting how my opinions are stirring and yours are debate.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Now please stop stiring, or at least make sense. How can you attack someone verbally on a website, do I speak as a I type and perhaps you have hijacked my webcam. Of course I challenge people with a different opinion, its not really a debate if everyone agrees is it.Gilly856 wrote:You are right in most if not all of your observations, as ever you will belittled for having an opinion. The worst offenders are the admins who attack people verbally who don't sing from there own hymn sheet.Bishbashbbosh wrote:Agree with the system being terrible, but you don't hear new postmen/women moaning as much as the old because they appreciate the fact it is still a great job in the whole aspect of it. Many of the more senior ones just reminisce on the past, but a business can't continue as Royal Mail was. Some strange decisions from the powers that be but going in the right direction generally, just in a difficult period at the moment. Still think many should have more pride in giving a good service than they do though
I also see the Dom's are not the real problem!
If people can't tell the difference between me as a member voicing my opinions, and me acting as an Admin perhaps I should point out that my Admin posts are ALWAYS in GREEN.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Are managers getting worse?
Correct it was my Opinion you were stirring and that I was debating glad you spotted that.
Your opinion is the polar opposite, that's the beauty of debating.
But for an ex-serviceman I am surprised that if offends you so much when I stand up for what I believe in. If I was doing so as an Admin you would have cause for concern, but I am not I am doing it as a member, or do you think I shouldn't be an active contributor just because I am an Admin. A few do hold that opinion so you won't be alone if that is so.
Your opinion is the polar opposite, that's the beauty of debating.
But for an ex-serviceman I am surprised that if offends you so much when I stand up for what I believe in. If I was doing so as an Admin you would have cause for concern, but I am not I am doing it as a member, or do you think I shouldn't be an active contributor just because I am an Admin. A few do hold that opinion so you won't be alone if that is so.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Bishbashbbosh
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
In my opinion, a lot of the managers that don't earn their money are the same sort as the postmen who don't earn their money. Most of the new up and coming managers do earn their money, because they are looking to improve and have to work hard to get a substantive role. The senior (old) lazy managers who are happy to just drift a long waiting for retirement (and are probably thee same ones that got the job through a family member) are the ones that are dragging the company down... Much like the senior postmen.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
At some point, a lot of us will likely be past our physical best, but still employed as OPGs. For some, this might come earlier in our life than others.
I'm no spring chicken any more, I cannot fly round at breakneck speed for 5 hours delivery day in day out, but I'm not going to make my walk look more achievable by risking my own health and safety (eg. "filtering" mail for the next address while walking) or the security of the mail I am responsible to deliver (eg. placing parcels inside unlocked porches).
Some seem to be determined to make walks look achievable at any cost, as their way of dealing with the often unrealistic workload and associated stress from managers. "I would have been done an hour ago." Well done, you are in the lead pack in the race to the bottom, putting targets on the backs of many OPGs doing the job responsibly.
I'm no spring chicken any more, I cannot fly round at breakneck speed for 5 hours delivery day in day out, but I'm not going to make my walk look more achievable by risking my own health and safety (eg. "filtering" mail for the next address while walking) or the security of the mail I am responsible to deliver (eg. placing parcels inside unlocked porches).
Some seem to be determined to make walks look achievable at any cost, as their way of dealing with the often unrealistic workload and associated stress from managers. "I would have been done an hour ago." Well done, you are in the lead pack in the race to the bottom, putting targets on the backs of many OPGs doing the job responsibly.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
The business isn't blind, there really isn't justification for continuing the same management format that can leave 5 or 6 managers kicking about in an empty office after the staff have gone out on delivery, coupled with the reduction in indoor workload the obvious answer would be a much cheaper, more efficient hybrid team leader /delivery role.
The line manager role is now facing extinction, if I was in that position I would be looking at my options to move up quickly or move on.
The line manager role is now facing extinction, if I was in that position I would be looking at my options to move up quickly or move on.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32811
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
This thread is about managers,most of them are scumbags and getting worse.
It is well documented on this site that there are also scumbag blue shirts,scumbag reps ect ect.
It is also documented on this site that some newbies want to hang themselves after a few weeks,and some love the job to bits ect ect.
It is well documented on this site that there are also scumbag blue shirts,scumbag reps ect ect.
It is also documented on this site that some newbies want to hang themselves after a few weeks,and some love the job to bits ect ect.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
cyrus
- Posts: 215
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
Isn't Moya Greene is the answer to most of this ? Didn't the Canadian Union of Postal Workers warn us about her 4/5 years ago.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/may/ ... royal-mail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Relations with union leaders have been fraught. Last year the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) marked her fourth anniversary as boss with a report card in which they graded her F for employee injuries, a D- for grievances, a C- for strike days, a D for expanding services and an F for respect.
"If you compare the four years before Greene with the four years under Greene's management the numbers show that injuries have gone up 15.4% and grievances have gone up 59.3%," said Denis Lemelin, the CUPW's president. "We've also seen days lost to national strikes go from three to 36 and there has been a sharp decline in efforts to expand community services."
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/may/ ... royal-mail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Relations with union leaders have been fraught. Last year the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) marked her fourth anniversary as boss with a report card in which they graded her F for employee injuries, a D- for grievances, a C- for strike days, a D for expanding services and an F for respect.
"If you compare the four years before Greene with the four years under Greene's management the numbers show that injuries have gone up 15.4% and grievances have gone up 59.3%," said Denis Lemelin, the CUPW's president. "We've also seen days lost to national strikes go from three to 36 and there has been a sharp decline in efforts to expand community services."
-
matthew68
- Posts: 518
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
agreed there are a couple of idiots in our office who run with 2 yes 2 bags on there backs they get in 45 mins early every day and charge around on delivery so they can help you on your loops, I put every bag on a trolley do the job properly ie trying neighbours and not cutting corners I bring very little back every day but am told I should be going faster! This is bad management as I have been told first time delivery is important yet these guys who charge around are not trying neighbours as I know when I was on holiday people were complaining about items not being left with any neighbours like I do.it seems all doms care about is the budget as the runners don't claimIloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:At some point, a lot of us will likely be past our physical best, but still employed as OPGs. For some, this might come earlier in our life than others.
I'm no spring chicken any more, I cannot fly round at breakneck speed for 5 hours delivery day in day out, but I'm not going to make my walk look more achievable by risking my own health and safety (eg. "filtering" mail for the next address while walking) or the security of the mail I am responsible to deliver (eg. placing parcels inside unlocked porches).
Some seem to be determined to make walks look achievable at any cost, as their way of dealing with the often unrealistic workload and associated stress from managers. "I would have been done an hour ago." Well done, you are in the lead pack in the race to the bottom, putting targets on the backs of many OPGs doing the job responsibly.
-
matthew68
- Posts: 518
- Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
Is there anyone you can actually complain to about your manager and if so how and will anything be done about it? I mean our current one Is unbelievabley bad never says good morning to anyone ,never asks how you are he just shouts at people to do the ips tells you to go faster,stop talking and generally annoying everyone, he is unapproachable about anything as he says he is always too busy. The atmosphere is so bad since he has taken over yet who do you complain to, as we have no union rep? I was a manager in my previous job and can't believe just how bad the management is at rm, the lack of interest in the staff and the general lack of man management is incredible I wander what do they do at these courses to be a manager, much as I dislike being in the office getting at on delivery is a relief although he has made a couple of comments about why it takes over 5 hours to do the walk! How bad can it get before they do anything about these people
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4201
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
Bishbashbbosh wrote:In my opinion, a lot of the managers that don't earn their money are the same sort as the postmen who don't earn their money. Most of the new up and coming managers do earn their money, because they are looking to improve and have to work hard to get a substantive role. The senior (old) lazy managers who are happy to just drift a long waiting for retirement (and are probably thee same ones that got the job through a family member) are the ones that are dragging the company down... Much like the senior postmen.
I completely disagree. Forgive me for trolling as well.
Its my belief that you only get results in a company if you have a great relationship with your staff. And that respect has to be earned. Of the many new deputy managers who started in our office, well, they simply forgot that and focused too much on their own career/ambitions. They listened too much to their superiors and in return forgot how to manage people. In our industry which is constantly changing every week and with the many senior postmen and women - well, its not really their fault that the job has changed. And unfortunately, giving the 'if you don't like it, then leave' attitude is never really going to work is it? I do agree with your sentiments though that we should all be thankful to the good lord for giving us our daily bread and our £10 an hour wage when there are many others less fortunate. Thats a testament to our fantastic trade union in negotiating pay increases whenever Royal Mail wanted to make big changes.
Funnily enough though, its these 'new' managers that started a few years ago who probably got the job in the first place through a family member in our office - so nothing new has changed there
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
Due to cost cutting we have 20 out of 27 duties that are unachievable to do in the designated hours working to procedure. On top of that we have absorptions that are nothing to do with workload. So posties still come in early to complete what they see as their Duty. Non of us actually has a duty anymore, Just a start and finish time. Until we start to realise this as a whole management will continue to exploit us and not resource the office as it should be. We are not staff or people to them, we are UNITS nothing more nothing less.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32811
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Are managers getting worse?
Bump: You dirty fukw#nk retards!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.