The pressure coming down from the top is what turns them into scumbags. They are expected to cut rediculous hours every year and save save save, or get ushered out the back door. Becuase their given savings target is near impossible, they resort to tactics such as bullying, harrasment, and intimidation in order to meet the demands. Despite Royal Mail claiming they don't tolerate bullying and harassment, the business continues to ignore it.
Cedar_Room wrote:In most walks of life people become managers because they are reliable,helpful,good at listening & all in all pretty decent at their chosen job,having done it for a number of years & knowing everything inside out.
In RM these days they simply do it because they cannot survive on a 25-hour fixed term contract.
It really is that basic.
Ach, it's probably just me but, like any other business, I see most guys blinded by the £ sign and natural instinct to move up the chain ladder and, of course, earn more money.....and I'm sure many of them would be fine if it weren't for the (many) constraints from the Hierarchy....it certainly wouldn't take too many crappy e-mails / warnings to get me swinging the way they want it despite your natural instincts....having a family makes decisions like that really, really hard to go against.
Surely most folk would rather their manager was someone that had once been the same grade, if not, who would they prefer?
We have 6 spare linos all doing very little. As for the deputy dom, he wastes a fortune on printing everything, laminating everything and making queer! activity boards full of dayglo stars etc. Looks like a jumble sale going on!
DB1100 wrote:The thing is "quiet man" they took the decision to get on the management bandwagon,nobody made them decide to be managers so I have no sympathy with them,I've been subject to their attempts at intimidation and I think if it wasn't for my years in the Army and time spent working pub doors I might have been upset by them,but now,with the help of this forum I see thru their lie's and now I view them as people to be pitied not feared,here is a quote by Abraham Lincoln which somes 99% of our management up IMHO;“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Well said dB
I was also in service and worked doors and was a manager in a pub chain.
I got the boot because I wouldn't billy my staff to achieve targets.
They do upset me sometimes though just by the ignoring and walking away tactic.....when they don't know the answer. I'm lucky looks like my feet are goosed so I'll be changing tack...wonder if they'll redeploy me as a lino?
Lol
Nah I'm not the RM type of manager.I still respect people.
I've had a lot of trouble with my feet spiderj,been to the foot doctor a couple of time's,I found it takes about a year to get over the problems,plantar facitis took a year and this latest problem is just starting to clear up now and that's been about a year,some times I think about just walking away from royal mail and it's inadequate managers but then part of me says no,sod it I will see this out,they ain't making me quit,good luck for your future mucker
Just a bunch of liars, who'll do what they can to make you do. Asking you silly questions like - What time did you leave office; What time did you finish?, sign out?, start last Wednesday? All to make you stop and think, in the hope you'll get a figure wrong so they can "AAHHH AAHHH!" you. It's pathetic and a smoke screen. All in the same vein as not answering the office phone - It might be something that needs commitment.
Lapsing is the big bugbear for us. It's supposed to be "Let your line manager know before you go out." Tried it, only to get "Why? It's not that bad today. What time did you get done yesterday? Did you sign out?" Check the sign in sheet dick head. They are pressured to push from above. I get that. But how hard is up to them.
Not all managers are bad and without them it would be a disaster. I was a manager for 25 years and had a great relationship with my staff. Although admit I am glad to be out if it now. Royal Mail isnt a service now but a profit driven machine. The wages are good for frontline and managers. Believe me I have worked for some shocking companies over the last few months.
As the song goes its all about the money, money,money,why do managers like staff coming in before there official start time,its because these staff are giving RM free work time,this equals less overtime,this equals bigger savings,this equals bigger bonus for your dom,do you understand
I don't buy the whole "feel sorry for me , I'm just doing my job, pressure from above etc" vibe. If you're under pressure to cut costs either the savings are genuinely there in which case you're being paid handsomely to make the big decisions or the savings aren't there in which case grow a spine, push back and fight for your staff/office.
On what page of the manager's instruction manual does it say shite yourself because the DSM gives you a hard time, shite on your staff and resort to bullying, intimidation and non payment of overtime?
Oh the pressure, oh the precious little darlings, man and woman up ffs.
fishtank wrote:I don't buy the whole "feel sorry for me , I'm just doing my job, pressure from above etc" vibe. If you're under pressure to cut costs either the savings are genuinely there in which case you're being paid handsomely to make the big decisions or the savings aren't there in which case grow a spine, push back and fight for your staff/office.
On what page of the manager's instruction manual does it say shite yourself because the DSM gives you a hard time, shite on your staff and resort to bullying, intimidation and non payment of overtime?
Oh the pressure, oh the precious little darlings, man and woman up ffs.
Well said we have to stick up for ourselves when pressure is dished out by management but I've long said that they know what they are asking is unrealistic. It's about time they stuck up for themselves (and us) instead of just bending over. We actually have a half decent manager but it's about time they all realised that sh1tting on us isn't really the solution
One day it will be a much easier process to get rid of all the bone-idle moaners that work for this company. You get paid £10 an hours to deliver letters through a door and most of the staff are pretty poor at doing that. I'd love it if all you guys did a 9-5 factory job on minimum wage for a few weeks, where your breaks are judged by a buzzer and start from the minute you leave you're post and you have to ask for cover to take a toilet break. Grow up guys and realise that all Royal Mail want is a work force that are prepared to earn their money and not think don't think it's a god given right to have the easy life on a decent wage with good employee benefits/pension etc...
My biggest bugbear is their use of selective statistics.
They will invariably start quoting how much lower the actual traffic is compared to 'forecast' but I cannot recall them ever stating words to the effect "the actual traffic is way above the forecast traffic'. In such cases the 'huddle' again becomes a 'smoke and mirrors' ritual along the lines of "We've had a bulk posting today but we've bought extra staff in on IPS to get you out earlier - we are looking for 'flexibility' blah blah blah and want you to lapse because the sick levels are so high '. Granted I got out the DO 25 minutes ahead of schedule but what these RichardHead's don't seem to realise is that it takes longer than 'the norm' to deliver such heavy bulk postings with trolley use (glad of its use today ) all the way for both of us. Oh and to cap it all we had Linos out on my beat 'checking' - I never saw them but my P&L partner did on more than 1 occasion. My normal span on Wed-Fri is supposedly 4h 45min. Today it took 5h 15min - no breaks or p'ing about (apart from my regular p-stop ) When I rolled out the office at the end of the shift it was 2 mins after the end of shift - almost (but not quite) perfect timing
Oh and I forgot to mention that one day we may have more postmen that actually care about customer service instead of thinking it's a big laugh and a joke that the office will have loads of mail and parcels left in that customers won't be recieving on the day they should