If he hadn't been at home/there was no answer when the manager had called, what would have been the managers inference ? Was the manager able to see through the employees windows ?zx135 wrote:jetblack wrote:As I say, without due cause to suspect that the sick claim is fraudulent (based on historical precedence) I'd say it could be argued that the managers intrusion not only infringes the employees right to privacy - but that it is actually in breach of the rights laid out in EU directives on the individuals human rights (and rights to privacy).zx135 wrote:What law would that be breaking? A manager checking on the welfare of his staff by visiting them at home?jetblack wrote:The manager knocks on your door within 4 hours of ringing in sick ? Its harassment - and out order IMO..... all things being equal of course.
That is - providing you haven't been taking the piss.
Cos then, well, it wouldn't be. I mean, if you'd just returned from a sickie having just reslated your roof - and been spotted doing so - then you couldn't really complain if the manager was "sceptical".
But, as I say, all things being equal, I'd regard that intrusion as not only out of order, but possibly against the law.
A manager checking on the welfare of his/her staff ? You're having a laugh, surely![]()
Not without due cause I'm afraid- cos then its harassment.
That blatantly doesn't apply for several reasons not least because the manager knocked on the door thus respecting his private home
Even if the manager had never even made contact with the employee upon visiting his home, then inferences could still have been made. That is what makes the visit an intrusion upon the employees privacy.
To make such a visit there would have to be (provable/demonstrable) cause for scepticism - and not just a claim that the manager was showing empathy for a brother in arms. Cos that, as we all know, doesn't wash.
We have 2g,3g,4g - adsl, cable, satellite - oh, and copper landlines - but the manager has to take the time to pop round ?
(edit - how could I forget, but we also have good old fashioned physical analogue mail