ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Are length of walks realistic?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sbbij
Posts: 17
Joined: 25 Feb 2014, 12:40
Gender: Male

Re: Are length of walks realistic?

Post by sbbij »

And thanks for all the replies. Hopefully it'll be ok. I plan to walk at a comfortable pace for the first 2-3 weeks so my body can adjust without to many aches and pains. I don't know about being paired with "runners" - they will have to wait if that happens. I think ill be reasonably quick after 3 weeks as long as my feet hold up.

I got my sorbothane pro support insoles today off amazon and they feel pretty good and provide much more cushion & heel support than my completely flat standard ones that came with the shoe - hopefully my feet will feel close to the same at the end of the walk as at the start! :hmmmm probably not but it'll help..
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Are length of walks realistic?

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Little point at looking at walk length alone, depends on how much indoor work including time away from getting your walk ready doing IPS; parcel sorting; portering you are expected to do on top of delivery... And your paid meal relief (40mins for 7-8hrs59mins of worktime, regardless of your contracted hours).

Some of the worst walks in my section can be left to prep their frame without doing IPS and even then need overtime and/or delivery cut offs, the planners were truely smoking sound wonderful stuff when they created some 318 duty structures, Tuesdays are a struggle without the planned national standard 30mins of work time learning (that is lucky to happen more than twice a year).
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Are length of walks realistic?

Post by datasaint »

Another thing to consider a 4h walk on flat terrain pales in comparison to one with a lot of steps hills. So whilst 5h walks on flat might be achievable the latter wouldn't be.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Are length of walks realistic?

Post by Nondescript »

norm wrote:Another thing to consider a 4h walk on flat terrain pales in comparison to one with a lot of steps hills. So whilst 5h walks on flat might be achievable the latter wouldn't be.
I was farmed out to another office a few weeks ago for a single day, doing a four and a half hour duty that consisted of one single row of houses while the remaining four hours 27 minutes' worth were tenement blocks, some of which were four storeys high. I was so tired after a couple of hours in that I started tripping over the steps as I was ascending. How the fella/lass who does that duty day-in, day-out copes is beyond me.
Kikidee
Posts: 23
Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
Gender: Female

Re: Are length of walks realistic?

Post by Kikidee »

I'm about 4 weeks into my new job at RM and I would say most, but not all, of the walks have been unrealistic. Sorry! Today for example I did a walk on my own whereas previously I'd only done 3/4 of it or half. My hrs are 9.30-2.30. I got in at 8.50, bagged up til 10am, then walked from 10 non-stop til 3pm, without a break at a fast speed dragging a golf buggy thingy (!) that had two bags either side and one balancing on top for the first half of the walk. It was pretty much hell.

But then yest, I split a walk with another newbie and that was much more civilised! Altho even when we got back nearing our finish time, we were sent out again for lapsing!

I'd enjoy it if it weren't for those days where you feel totally left behind - literally, I get back sometimes and the depot is locked up! I rang up today saying I didn't think I'd finish but was told there wasn't anyone to take some off me so could I complete and get paid overtime. I honestly don't see the point in coming in early. I was under the impression I'd only have to bag up but I was told I have to go check for more letters and then parcels - of which there is usually about 30 to sort. Then redirects. So in my mind, by getting in early I'm setting myself back because i'm obv slower at sorting than others so the nearer i get in to 9.30 then more that will be sorted for me but it's not working out like that, a) i feel like i'm the only one in the whole place who gets in at their start time if i do that, everyone seems to get in well earlier, and b) im not even getting paid for it anyway!

I can only hope things get easier once on the vans but everyone says it's harder!!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Are length of walks realistic?

Post by Postie45 »

Kikidee wrote:I'm about 4 weeks into my new job at RM and I would say most, but not all, of the walks have been unrealistic. Sorry! Today for example I did a walk on my own whereas previously I'd only done 3/4 of it or half. My hrs are 9.30-2.30. I got in at 8.50,
why ?
bagged up til 10am, then walked from 10 non-stop til 3pm, without a break at a fast speed dragging a golf buggy thingy (!) that had two bags either side and one balancing on top for the first half of the walk. It was pretty much hell.
youre breaking H&S by doing this
But then yest, I split a walk with another newbie and that was much more civilised! Altho even when we got back nearing our finish time, we were sent out again for lapsing!
i dont have a problem with this as long as all breaks were taken in full and you had enough time to complete the lapsing in your duty time
I honestly don't see the point in coming in early.
there are none, please stop doing it, unless you are happy to do so WITH this time being paid - get it agreed if its what you want to do.
I was under the impression I'd only have to bag up but I was told I have to go check for more letters and then parcels - of which there is usually about 30 to sort. Then redirects. So in my mind, by getting in early I'm setting myself back because i'm obv slower at sorting than others so the nearer i get in to 9.30 then more that will be sorted for me but it's not working out like that,
what sorting ? are you not supposed to just bag up as you seem to have been told ? if you have to do sorting then you obviously wont complete the delivery if sorting is something youre not supposed to be doing !
a) i feel like i'm the only one in the whole place who gets in at their start time if i do that, everyone seems to get in well earlier
what anyone else does is irrelevant to your job, you have scheduled hours, stick to them
and b) im not even getting paid for it anyway!
then youre crazy !! :) dont want to sound mean but youre doing yourself NO favours !
I can only hope things get easier once on the vans but everyone says it's harder!!
are they the same geniuses who are coming in early and rushing around ? do the job properly and it wont be as hell-ish

Overall if i was you Id go see my union rep, this is completely unacceptable
Kikidee
Posts: 23
Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
Gender: Female

Re: Are length of walks realistic?

Post by Kikidee »

Postie45 wrote:
Kikidee wrote:I'm about 4 weeks into my new job at RM and I would say most, but not all, of the walks have been unrealistic. Sorry! Today for example I did a walk on my own whereas previously I'd only done 3/4 of it or half. My hrs are 9.30-2.30. I got in at 8.50,
why ?
bagged up til 10am, then walked from 10 non-stop til 3pm, without a break at a fast speed dragging a golf buggy thingy (!) that had two bags either side and one balancing on top for the first half of the walk. It was pretty much hell.
youre breaking H&S by doing this
But then yest, I split a walk with another newbie and that was much more civilised! Altho even when we got back nearing our finish time, we were sent out again for lapsing!
i dont have a problem with this as long as all breaks were taken in full and you had enough time to complete the lapsing in your duty time
I honestly don't see the point in coming in early.
there are none, please stop doing it, unless you are happy to do so WITH this time being paid - get it agreed if its what you want to do.
I was under the impression I'd only have to bag up but I was told I have to go check for more letters and then parcels - of which there is usually about 30 to sort. Then redirects. So in my mind, by getting in early I'm setting myself back because i'm obv slower at sorting than others so the nearer i get in to 9.30 then more that will be sorted for me but it's not working out like that,
what sorting ? are you not supposed to just bag up as you seem to have been told ? if you have to do sorting then you obviously wont complete the delivery if sorting is something youre not supposed to be doing !
a) i feel like i'm the only one in the whole place who gets in at their start time if i do that, everyone seems to get in well earlier
what anyone else does is irrelevant to your job, you have scheduled hours, stick to them
and b) im not even getting paid for it anyway!
then youre crazy !! :) dont want to sound mean but youre doing yourself NO favours !
I can only hope things get easier once on the vans but everyone says it's harder!!
are they the same geniuses who are coming in early and rushing around ? do the job properly and it wont be as hell-ish

Overall if i was you Id go see my union rep, this is completely unacceptable
i'm doing it because first 6 months are trial period so i don't want to look like i'm incapable. there are a few other new starters so i feel maybe they;ll look at who's the weakest and get rid
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Are length of walks realistic?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Notice a few people above are quite new in the jobs, packets and parcels are the problem now and there seems to be a huge drop off in February after everyone has overspent from Christmas and January sales so don't try and base the last 4 weeks as normal workload.

This is the easy time and if you are struggling now, it won't get any easier. :crazy: