ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

10 days sick ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by dave72 »

I would go in, they usually have you throwing walks or d2ds in. This would probably make the shoulder worse and an even longer sick note :nana
Mr_Pink
Posts: 163
Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 22:09
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by Mr_Pink »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Mightyaj wrote:This has been over complicated! Forget Atos forget everything said on here apart from this...... You have a sick note from Doctor for 10 days so all you have to tell your manager is that your shoulder is still hurting and that your unable to do light duties. That's if your shoulder is still causing your pain. End of chat.
And in 10 days time?
Does the doctor know what a postman does? Will he deem him fit to return to full duties in 10 days time?
From my experience of joint injuries, I think it is unlikely, so it would be better to be proactive now and request the referral, rather than just refuse to return to work.
I agree with Clash.

Despite their past reputation, OH Assist can actually be helpful, as they will either recommend a rehab plan or agree with your Dr that you aren't fit for work, and if you need physio they arrange it asap rather than having to wait for an NHS appointment.
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by Mightyaj »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Mightyaj wrote:This has been over complicated! Forget Atos forget everything said on here apart from this...... You have a sick note from Doctor for 10 days so all you have to tell your manager is that your shoulder is still hurting and that your unable to do light duties. That's if your shoulder is still causing your pain. End of chat.
And in 10 days time?
Does the doctor know what a postman does? Will he deem him fit to return to full duties in 10 days time?
From my experience of joint injuries, I think it is unlikely, so it would be better to be proactive now and request the referral, rather than just refuse to return to work.
But that's talking about the future. The question was simply does he have to come back on light duties and my previous reply still stands.

Why on earth would he bother with Atos?! That's the last thing I'd do. If for arguments sake the doctor does give him a longer time off then again my previous reply still stands. I would stay clear of atos until they contacted him. Atos would only give their opinion on whether they see him fit for work and that usually conflicts with what your own doctor gives which is trying to get that individual back as soon as possible!

Basically if this person has a sick note from a Doctor and he feels he's still would be in pain even doing light duties then that person is entitled to those days off. No manager can force him into doing light duties if that's the case.
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by miles_peters »

ATOS :no no
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Mightyaj wrote:
But that's talking about the future
We're not talking about the next century.
How long do you think the OH Assist referral will take?
Your experience of ATOS (personal or hearsay?) certainly doesn't bear any relation to mine and as the other poster said, if physio is needed they can be very useful.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by Mightyaj »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Mightyaj wrote:
But that's talking about the future
We're not talking about the next century.
How long do you think the OH Assist referral will take?
Your experience of ATOS (personal or hearsay?) certainly doesn't bear any relation to mine and as the other poster said, if physio is needed they can be very useful.
Lets start again. I'm not sure where your going but this is my take on it. I have simply answered this person (newboy23) question do how I see fit which was this.....

"Just been to the doctors who has gave me 10 days sick note but my manager is asking me to come in on light duties ie indoor work,do I have to do in ?"

If you look at newboy23 posts then you can see his main concern is the very question I have answered.

I have replied saying that there is no need to get hold of ATOS which I still stand by and that this individual only needs to mention the fact he has a doctors paper and that he feels unfit to work even if it is light duties.

If newboy23 had asked the same question and added he would like physio etc then maybe then I can see why one would possible contact ATOS! However this individual doesn't so your reply is irrelevant.

And to answer your last comment. I have dealt with ATOS individually and with many other colleagues when I used to be a union rep for a few years in my previous office and I found them awful. The main goal is to get people back to work as soon as possible and even go against Doctors opinions on a regular basis. They possibly maybe good for getting you physio and seen quicker for certain things but that's about the only positive I can say about them.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32815
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by POSTMAN »

The manager should of referred him to ATOS as that is procedure,he is scamming the guy to come in as ATOS can 'sometimes' take a while,and is playing a dangerous game.
The OP should of also (although he is obviously unaware of what to do but now he knows) asked to be referred cause the thinks he may need extra help/rest physio ect.

Gone are the days you can sit on a sick note,especially with the screws some of you lot seem to have.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Soulazydll
Posts: 34
Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 11:28
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by Soulazydll »

Also consider reading the sick pay policy, I'm not sure but I think one reason RM could stop sick pay is by ignoring doctors advice.
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by Mightyaj »

POSTMAN wrote:The manager should of referred him to ATOS as that is procedure,he is scamming the guy to come in as ATOS can 'sometimes' take a while,and is playing a dangerous game.
The OP should of also (although he is obviously unaware of what to do but now he knows) asked to be referred cause the thinks he may need extra help/rest physio ect.

Gone are the days you can sit on a sick note,especially with the screws some of you lot seem to have.
Why can't he sit on his sick note? If the person has been signed off sick by the Doctor then he can take those days off. As long as Atos hasn't got involved then I don't see the problem.

Also I want to just clarify..I'm not trying to make this person go off sick, I'm simply telling him his rights. If his shoulder still hurts and his Doctor has given signed him off for 10 days then he can have those days off fully paid.
He doesn't have to come in on light duties either if again his shoulder still hurts. If he feels up to working again or coming back early on light duties then that's his choice.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Mightyaj wrote: If he feels up to working again or coming back early on light duties then that's his choice.
But he shouldn't consider doing that without a proper rehab plan in place.
Which is why I asked him what the OH had advised.

Now I don't know how new Newboy is but he clearly doesn't have much experience of being off sick.
Nobody has said he should go back on light duties if he isn't up to it. But when/if he does then it needs to be properly orchestrated.
And being proactive never hurt anybody.

Here is another scenario:
Shoulder injury drags on another week - stage 1.
Gets flu - stage 2
Injures his back in Sainsburys - stage 3 and possible dismissal.

If I was a rep defending him at that stage, I would like to show he requested the OH referral in an attempt to find a way back to work, rather than "he just sat on his sick note because he could".
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by rehabron »

newboy23 wrote:Just been to the doctors who has gave me 10 days sick note but my manager is asking me to come in on light duties ie indoor work,do I have to do in ?
By the issuing of a fit note for a period of 10 days which is in addition to your 7 days of self certification then you are currently absent from work for 17 days.
Your GP on diagnosing a shoulder injury and knowing what your employment is has issued this fit note because you are sick.
The fit note through the various boxes that are available to give further information to your employer if totally you are not fit for work or you may be fit for work taking account of the following advice which gives a further 4 options and any comments made by your GP>
If the box has been ticked you are not fit for work and there are no further advice on the fit note than that is the end of the matter until a further fit note has to be issued.
On submitting your fit note to your employer (RM) and having kept in contact within the attendance procedure arrangements then it is up to RM how they wish to tackle your absence which is more than likely a referral to OH Assist with your consent.
Oh Assist will make contact with you and on the information that you supply will give their recommendations to RM and copy you in so therefore your manger asking you to come in on light duties is NOT his call and I am surprised manager has not now having your absence going to 17 days has not followed this up with OH Assist support.
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by Mightyaj »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Mightyaj wrote: If he feels up to working again or coming back early on light duties then that's his choice.
But he shouldn't consider doing that without a proper rehab plan in place.
Which is why I asked him what the OH had advised.

Now I don't know how new Newboy is but he clearly doesn't have much experience of being off sick.
Nobody has said he should go back on light duties if he isn't up to it. But when/if he does then it needs to be properly orchestrated.
And being proactive never hurt anybody.

Here is another scenario:
Shoulder injury drags on another week - stage 1.
Gets flu - stage 2
Injures his back in Sainsburys - stage 3 and possible dismissal.

If I was a rep defending him at that stage, I would like to show he requested the OH referral in an attempt to find a way back to work, rather than "he just sat on his sick note because he could".
Your on about ifs and buts?!

Here's another scenario...

What if he didn't go off sick with his shoulder at all and then incurred 3 stages for different sicknesses or issues. Possible dismissal then too so you can't always say what our future holds and besides these 10 days will go against his sick record anyway whether he's been proactive or not. (if he take the 10 days sick)

I'm simply answering his originally question which was -

Just been to the doctors who has gave me 10 days sick note but my manager is asking me to come in on light duties ie indoor work,do I have to go in ?

No he doesn't. That's it. He didn't ask about atos, OH, physios or anything else.

He can fully rely on his sick note for 10 days and no manager can force him in on light duties.

I could go carry on talking on this issue but I've made my point clear and obviously you don't agree so best say we'll agree to disagree.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Mightyaj wrote: He didn't ask about atos, OH, physios or anything else.
He didn't ask because he is a Newboy who hadn't been off sick before.
He didn't ask because he didn't know.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by Mightyaj »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Mightyaj wrote: He didn't ask about atos, OH, physios or anything else.
He didn't ask because he is a Newboy who hadn't been off sick before.
He didn't ask because he didn't know.
There is so much I could say and write in my defence on many of your messages but not only have I better things to do but also can't help thinking now that actually your just out to win an argument! Apologies if I'm wrong but that's the way it looks to me so best leave it at that I think.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: 10 days sick ?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.