i know now, it's silly. where do ppl take breaks tho? i'd be worried about the post! plus i think if i drink i'll then just need to pee!! but i've started taking out little bags of almonds and the like, just to keep me going. i think it does the opposite in terms of weight loss anyway, not eating that long ...starvation mode and that. still getting used to it all tho, will figure it out :)Lincox wrote:More importantly, do not abuse your body. If you are walking all that time you need to take breaks and you need to take on fluids even this time of year and at least light snacks to keep you going. To not eat or drink until you get home is going to cause you a lot of problems in the long run.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Working for free :(
-
Kikidee
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: Working for free :(
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1536
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Working for free :(
That's a light duty you've got there then.Kobi72 wrote:my pedometer said i did 16,500 steps today tho, that in itself is a miracle for me who has always worked at a desk!
I average about 18,000 a day.
-
iminavest
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 06 May 2013, 16:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Working for free :(
More steps doesn't necessarily mean a heavier dutyHitcher wrote:That's a light duty you've got there then.Kobi72 wrote:my pedometer said i did 16,500 steps today tho, that in itself is a miracle for me who has always worked at a desk!![]()
I average about 18,000 a day.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Working for free :(
http://images.sportsdirect.com/images/i ... 247_xl.jpg
Get yourself a large bottle like that, ensure you have your waterproof trousers and if you are ever caught out there is always usually a place where you can stick the bottle down the front of the trousers and drop it in the bottle
Get yourself a large bottle like that, ensure you have your waterproof trousers and if you are ever caught out there is always usually a place where you can stick the bottle down the front of the trousers and drop it in the bottle
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Working for free :(
I've only taken out a pedometer once, and it was on what was regarded as the worst duty in an office of about 230 walks. And the pedometer's final reading? 24,500 steps
But I'm sure someone's done one that's longer.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Working for free :(
Kikidee
1.do t do charity work whilst here...get paid for what you do,it's a minefield at first but stick with it and you'll get there.
2.some trainers are useless,try and learn what you can when u can,there's loads so just let it settle gradually.
3.let the manager make the decision about how much you're taking out,although at first I was known to be out till dark I certainly don't do that now.
4.blister plasters and tubi grip...you'll find out why
5.google reactive hypoglecemia.....then you'll understand why you must put food in you,you would run a car on an empty fuel tank.
As well as your breakfast ,take your meal break and a couple ofmchoccy bars or brekkie biscuits in your pocket, untill you learn where the toilets are on your duties I'd suggest a small water bottle.
Last resort take boiled sweets out with you,quench the thirst a wee bit but also give you the sugar boost you'll lose.
And for days when you sweat like a beast try the rehydration powder usually used for the runs,dioralyte,great for rehydrating and for hangovers .
Its a great Job with good pay,I've only encountered one problem so far and that's the management structure,don't let that put you off though.

1.do t do charity work whilst here...get paid for what you do,it's a minefield at first but stick with it and you'll get there.
2.some trainers are useless,try and learn what you can when u can,there's loads so just let it settle gradually.
3.let the manager make the decision about how much you're taking out,although at first I was known to be out till dark I certainly don't do that now.
4.blister plasters and tubi grip...you'll find out why
5.google reactive hypoglecemia.....then you'll understand why you must put food in you,you would run a car on an empty fuel tank.
As well as your breakfast ,take your meal break and a couple ofmchoccy bars or brekkie biscuits in your pocket, untill you learn where the toilets are on your duties I'd suggest a small water bottle.
Last resort take boiled sweets out with you,quench the thirst a wee bit but also give you the sugar boost you'll lose.
And for days when you sweat like a beast try the rehydration powder usually used for the runs,dioralyte,great for rehydrating and for hangovers .
Its a great Job with good pay,I've only encountered one problem so far and that's the management structure,don't let that put you off though.
I won
-
farstrider
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 17:45
- Gender: Male
Re: Working for free :(
use pedometer on phone from where i leave home till i get back i average between 22,000 steps and 24,ooo.yesterday 27761steps 25.6km 
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Working for free :(
This post is golden. As long as you follow the correct procedure outlined here you can't get into any trouble. Its also worth having a witness by your side when you inform the DOM about your plans to cut off. If your manager is a real b*****d they will have a nasty habit of 'forgetting'.raged1999 wrote:Be sure that you follow the correct procedures. If you believe that you will not finish on your time, call your manager over. Explain that you will not complete in your time and ask them what they want to do about it. Put the ball in their court. Make them make the decision. If you are willing to work over, and they suggest you do and will pay overtime, all is good. If they say they will not pay overtime, tell them you can not complete. Again, ask them what they want to do about it. They have 2 choices. Take the excess off you, or tell you to take it out, attempt to deliver. If they tell you to take it out, ask them what time they want you to ring the office (normally between 12 -1pm) to come and take it from you. If you have done all this, and nobody answers the phone, you can bring it back. Do not just bring it back without these procedures, you are likely to get the sack. Join the Union as soon as you can and involve your rep. Managers WILL put pressure on you. Stand strong.
-
Mightyaj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Working for free :(
I don't want to be a party pooper but one thing you should be careful about is the fact your a newbie. I totally agree with most people replies saying using the cut off procedure but I'd seriously think twice doing that if I was a newbie. The reason I say this is because I'm guessing your on a probational contract which may give the manager the right to let you go if they are not happy after 3-6 months depending how long your probation is for. So my advice would be is if you still want a job in 6 months time (how ever long your probational period is) then it might be worth putting your head down until you've been confirmed on a permanent contract. Once confirmed you have permanent contract then you have the power but would definitely be cautious until then!
Unfortunately there is loads of people willing to run and do rounds without getting paid overtime which might make the manager think they'd rather get someones else services if your still on probation. Its totally unfair but that's my take on it.
Find out how long your probational contract lasts and after that cut off cut off cut off and stick it to them!
Unfortunately there is loads of people willing to run and do rounds without getting paid overtime which might make the manager think they'd rather get someones else services if your still on probation. Its totally unfair but that's my take on it.
Find out how long your probational contract lasts and after that cut off cut off cut off and stick it to them!
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Working for free :(
The same thing happened to me when I first started, thrown in at the deep end and not told anything. It's no wonder so many newbies leave after a few weeks.
-
Kikidee
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: Working for free :(
Cheers, great tips there from an obv pro :) any recommendations on the shoe front? I ordered the magnum shoes but felt like walking thru treacle, sooo heavy!spiderj wrote:Kikidee
1.do t do charity work whilst here...get paid for what you do,it's a minefield at first but stick with it and you'll get there.
2.some trainers are useless,try and learn what you can when u can,there's loads so just let it settle gradually.
3.let the manager make the decision about how much you're taking out,although at first I was known to be out till dark I certainly don't do that now.
4.blister plasters and tubi grip...you'll find out why
5.google reactive hypoglecemia.....then you'll understand why you must put food in you,you would run a car on an empty fuel tank.
As well as your breakfast ,take your meal break and a couple ofmchoccy bars or brekkie biscuits in your pocket, untill you learn where the toilets are on your duties I'd suggest a small water bottle.
Last resort take boiled sweets out with you,quench the thirst a wee bit but also give you the sugar boost you'll lose.
And for days when you sweat like a beast try the rehydration powder usually used for the runs,dioralyte,great for rehydrating and for hangovers .
Its a great Job with good pay,I've only encountered one problem so far and that's the management structure,don't let that put you off though.
agree, I'd actually enjoy it if it wasn't all done at break neck speed. Not that I'm suggesting a stroll, but it's just a shame ive only been there a fortnight yet already feel like I can't stop for 5 mins. Today I had 5 totally full bags, could only fit 4 into the hct and was told to balance one on top til I got to the walk! I was more assertive today tho and rang to say I could only manage 4 out of the 5! :)
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Working for free :(
Be careful leaving stuff till you're settled in
Shoewise RM stuff is poor,tesco were doing decent walking sock but mostly men's sizes,try Amazon,blacks,go outdoors etc for a couple of different types.
Heavy for winter,light for summer
Anti blister
Also have basin ready for yer feet
I went full throttle and got a shiatsu massager lol
Stretch before you go to work
Hams and feet...stretch em and itll help
Taking it further there are ways to walk to conserve energy
Shoulders over toes and not too much weight

Shoewise RM stuff is poor,tesco were doing decent walking sock but mostly men's sizes,try Amazon,blacks,go outdoors etc for a couple of different types.
Heavy for winter,light for summer
Anti blister
Also have basin ready for yer feet
I went full throttle and got a shiatsu massager lol
Stretch before you go to work
Hams and feet...stretch em and itll help
Taking it further there are ways to walk to conserve energy
Shoulders over toes and not too much weight
I won
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Working for free :(
Oh and I'm not a proKikidee wrote:Cheers, great tips there from an obv pro :) any recommendations on the shoe front? I ordered the magnum shoes but felt like walking thru treacle, sooo heavy!spiderj wrote:Kikidee
1.do t do charity work whilst here...get paid for what you do,it's a minefield at first but stick with it and you'll get there.
2.some trainers are useless,try and learn what you can when u can,there's loads so just let it settle gradually.
3.let the manager make the decision about how much you're taking out,although at first I was known to be out till dark I certainly don't do that now.
4.blister plasters and tubi grip...you'll find out why
5.google reactive hypoglecemia.....then you'll understand why you must put food in you,you would run a car on an empty fuel tank.
As well as your breakfast ,take your meal break and a couple ofmchoccy bars or brekkie biscuits in your pocket, untill you learn where the toilets are on your duties I'd suggest a small water bottle.
Last resort take boiled sweets out with you,quench the thirst a wee bit but also give you the sugar boost you'll lose.
And for days when you sweat like a beast try the rehydration powder usually used for the runs,dioralyte,great for rehydrating and for hangovers .
Its a great Job with good pay,I've only encountered one problem so far and that's the management structure,don't let that put you off though.
agree, I'd actually enjoy it if it wasn't all done at break neck speed. Not that I'm suggesting a stroll, but it's just a shame ive only been there a fortnight yet already feel like I can't stop for 5 mins. Today I had 5 totally full bags, could only fit 4 into the hct and was told to balance one on top til I got to the walk! I was more assertive today tho and rang to say I could only manage 4 out of the 5! :)
I'm regarded as a troublemaker by our management team
I won