ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why are we at the mercy of such a dysfunctional redelivery

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Why are we at the mercy of such a dysfunctional redelivery

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

COMMENT: ‘Why are we at the mercy of such a dysfunctional parcel redelivery system?’

http://www.completefrance.com/home/comm ... _1_3949475

An exasperated member of Hornsey Pensioners’ Action Group on the trials and tribulations of a nonsensical operation.

Comments Email Print
"In 2013 Royal Mail was sold off at an estimated £2.2billion loss. It seems in parcel redelivery we have also lost the guaranteed universal service unless you are a driver, an internet user, or housebound with carers to open the door."


This is a story of four parcel redeliveries which reflects the contempt that privatised companies have for pensioners without a car or those of us unable, or unwilling, to use the internet.

Hornsey delivery office and collection point has shut, part of efficiency savings – but not for the customer. When I wrote to Royal Mail they were very clear that I could not use the Wood Green depot, a pleasant 15-minute walk through Alexandra Park.

They explained they did not have enough storage space for the Hornsey catchment area. Hornsey’s non-delivered parcels are now to be collected from a depot in Tufnell Park.

Parcel one contained my regular order made by telephone, as many older people are not too confident about the safety of using a debit card on line. I then set off on a trip which would have been a 20-minute walk to Hornsey depot.

As I do not drive, walking to the new depot would have probably taken 90 minutes. Fortunately I have a Freedom Pass (yes I am lucky, but this does help to support pensioners’ £40billion net contribution to the economy) and took three buses.

Parcel two arrived too near to Christmas for me to repeat such a journey so I looked at redelivery. Alas, to have it redelivered to my home address I could only choose the day, not a time slot. The alternative was to pay 75p to have it sent to Hornsey Post Office, but at least it was only a 10-minute walk.

Parcel three was different as it had been ordered online by a relative to the Hornsey Post Office address, therefore this one was free.

Parcel four was delivered through a competitor firm. Again a redelivery, this was very accessible, the pick-up point being a dry cleaner’s in Crouch End. And, unlike Royal Mail, free on collection.

In 2013 Royal Mail was sold off at an estimated £2.2billion loss. We older taxpayers paid over 50 years for its public service. It seems in parcel redelivery we have also lost the guaranteed universal service unless you are a driver, an internet user, or housebound with carers to open the door.

For more information on the group, see hornseypensionersactiongroup.org.uk.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Why are we at the mercy of such a dysfunctional redeliv

Post by DB1100 »

Would it be too much hardship for him to wait in for the second parcel,I'm sure he would know what time his postman comes,or even better if he is ordering by telephone have it delivered to a friends house or do as his relative did for parcel 3,some people just want to feel hard done by.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Why are we at the mercy of such a dysfunctional redeliv

Post by Lounge Lizard »

"Fortunately I have a Freedom Pass (yes I am lucky, but this does help to support pensioners’ £40billion net contribution to the economy) and took three buses.
The alternative was to pay 75p to have it sent to Hornsey Post Office." :shock:
So you and your pals contribute £40billion to the economy than don't like forking out 75p for having a parcel brought nearer to you :roll:
Well I suppose that is fifteen bob in real money. :arrrghhh