ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I'm out of here

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: I'm out of here

Post by Lincox »

There will always be worse jobs out there and there will always be better jobs also. It is for the individual to chose what is most important. There is no doubt that the new style Royal Mail changes (I wont call them modernisation, as there is little about a 10 to 15 mile a day walk that is modern) must have a big impact on the ability to perform this work over a prolonged number of years and certainly as you become older the impact becomes greater. I would encourage anyone who wishes to improve their work/life regime to retrain, continue to monitor what is available and apply for jobs that you feel will give you what you are looking for whether that is job satisfaction or monetary gain. There is no reason to jump just for the sake of jumping ship, but when the right opportunity comes along you will be in a better position to take advantage of it.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: I'm out of here

Post by OnAFlyer »

secluder wrote:LOL at those few comments regarding goodbye to £22,000 for posting letters.

I would expect he'll get a 40 hour a week job sitting in an office where he doesn't hear foul mouthed obscenities on a daily basis from self obsessed comedians, which is labelled as banter. I bet he won't get questioned each day as to wether he will complete his days work and be constantly asked to work on later. I bet he doesn't have to struggle to book holiday. I bet he enjoys every weekend off with his family and doesn't have to pretend that a one in whatever Monday added to a weekend makes up for all the Saturdays lumbering around posting letters to family's sitting at home in the warm. I bet he doesn't get stressed weekly as the usual mention of cuts and change float around the office. I bet he enjoys getting up at 7-7:30 to get in at 9.

The list goes on.

Those with the can't hack it comments are usually the ones that possibly couldn't hack a well balanced job other than putting bits of paper through metal flaps. I'll let you be the judge as to why. To say a job is what you make it is also far fetched, as why should a person change their character, morals or working style just to be 'one of the family'. In Royal Mails case it's either the Adams or the Manson family I'm afraid to say.

Lastly no offence intended, but in my opinion the job is worth a lot more than £22,000!

PS - Is there a wool pulled over your eyes smiley?
The fact you obviously don't like the job doesn't mean everyone else feels the same.

I'm sure anybody that leaves RM walks straight into a well paid, 5 days a week, 9-5 job with zero pressure, zero stress, total job security, brilliant colleagues and no weekend working.

Meanwhile, back in the real world we still have more free time than the vast vast majority of full time workers. We have more job security than 99% of workers. We have better pensions, holidays, T&C's than most people.

You say the job is 'putting bits of paper through metal flaps' then claim it's worth a lot more than £22,000 per year? Feel free to have a look at some job sites and show us some unskilled jobs paying a lot more than that.

Of course people that leave RM for another job are going to say it's better, because they obviously didn't like it if they wanted to leave! The simple fact such a high percentage of staff never leave RM shows it isn't exactly a bad job.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: I'm out of here

Post by Darren Bent »

another reason is the person believe he/she won't find it easy to get a better job with better pay, and settle for working with Royal Mail.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: I'm out of here

Post by aiden01 »

Darren Bent wrote:another reason is the person believe he/she won't find it easy to get a better job with better pay, and settle for working with Royal Mail.
good enough reason then.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: I'm out of here

Post by Nondescript »

aiden01 wrote:
Darren Bent wrote:another reason is the person believe he/she won't find it easy to get a better job with better pay, and settle for working with Royal Mail.
good enough reason then.
If you're happy with the job, then yes, but many are unhappy with the job but are scared of making a change, myself included. There are definitely better jobs out there - of myself, my brother and my sister I am the lowest paid by a considerable margin, yet I'd say the three of us are comparable in terms of our capabilities and the demands of our respective jobs.
secluder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 10:59
Gender: Male

Re: I'm out of here

Post by secluder »

OnAFlyer wrote:The fact you obviously don't like the job doesn't mean everyone else feels the same.

I'm sure anybody that leaves RM walks straight into a well paid, 5 days a week, 9-5 job with zero pressure, zero stress, total job security, brilliant colleagues and no weekend working.

Meanwhile, back in the real world we still have more free time than the vast vast majority of full time workers. We have more job security than 99% of workers. We have better pensions, holidays, T&C's than most people.

You say the job is 'putting bits of paper through metal flaps' then claim it's worth a lot more than £22,000 per year? Feel free to have a look at some job sites and show us some unskilled jobs paying a lot more than that.

Of course people that leave RM for another job are going to say it's better, because they obviously didn't like it if they wanted to leave! The simple fact such a high percentage of staff never leave RM shows it isn't exactly a bad job.
Firstly i fully understand that many people enjoy working for Royal Mail. Isn't that common sense?

You are correct in that not everybody leaving Royal Mail walks into a well paid, 5 days a week 9-5 job with zero pressure, zero stress, total job security, brilliant colleagues and no weekend working. Again though, isn't this common sense? The simple fact is some do walk into an ideal job or train themselves for something more suited to their 'needs'.

You mention having more free time than the vast majority of full time workers. I disagree 100% with that statement and find the reasoning so obvious, but please, if you want me to elaborate why your statement is far fetched just ask and i will. As for more job security than 99% of workers, well, again you're stretching the numbers. You do the same in regards to pensions/holidays.

Have you actually ever worked another job apart from with Royal Mail? By that i don't mean the paper round as a teenager. You seem to believe you are living the dream!

My comment about putting paper through metal flaps was hinged in sarcasm. Sorry you missed that, but let me explain. Working as a postman is a TOUGH job. Early starts, high pressure, all weathers, heavy workload....I could go on. The fact so many people on this board testify to this being the case should lean you towards believing it's NOT an unskilled job ANYONE can do. I've seen people come and go, people out past delivery time, people off sick because they can't handle the pressure. No offense, but it IS a skilled job and to say anyone can do it in the same way anyone can sweep a street is simply insulting to the vast majority of Royal Mail workers.

Lastly lets look at your statement regarding people leaving Royal Mail and saying life has improved for them regardless of this being true or not. You say the vast majority of people stay with Royal Mail, yet find it hard to believe that the small majority (Using your reasoning) that leave don't find greener pastures. I'm sure some people leave and regret it, again, common sense, but i would guess those that do leave don't enter a similar job i.e freezing their bollocks off..

Anyway i'm glad you're happy where you are in life. That's ideal for anyone.
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

Re: I'm out of here

Post by Edward Hunter »

secluder "you seem to think you are living the dream" :chuckle funny as!
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: I'm out of here

Post by OnAFlyer »

secluder wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:The fact you obviously don't like the job doesn't mean everyone else feels the same.

I'm sure anybody that leaves RM walks straight into a well paid, 5 days a week, 9-5 job with zero pressure, zero stress, total job security, brilliant colleagues and no weekend working.

Meanwhile, back in the real world we still have more free time than the vast vast majority of full time workers. We have more job security than 99% of workers. We have better pensions, holidays, T&C's than most people.

You say the job is 'putting bits of paper through metal flaps' then claim it's worth a lot more than £22,000 per year? Feel free to have a look at some job sites and show us some unskilled jobs paying a lot more than that.

Of course people that leave RM for another job are going to say it's better, because they obviously didn't like it if they wanted to leave! The simple fact such a high percentage of staff never leave RM shows it isn't exactly a bad job.
Firstly i fully understand that many people enjoy working for Royal Mail. Isn't that common sense?

You are correct in that not everybody leaving Royal Mail walks into a well paid, 5 days a week 9-5 job with zero pressure, zero stress, total job security, brilliant colleagues and no weekend working. Again though, isn't this common sense? The simple fact is some do walk into an ideal job or train themselves for something more suited to their 'needs'.

You mention having more free time than the vast majority of full time workers. I disagree 100% with that statement and find the reasoning so obvious, but please, if you want me to elaborate why your statement is far fetched just ask and i will. As for more job security than 99% of workers, well, again you're stretching the numbers. You do the same in regards to pensions/holidays.

Have you actually ever worked another job apart from with Royal Mail? By that i don't mean the paper round as a teenager. You seem to believe you are living the dream!

My comment about putting paper through metal flaps was hinged in sarcasm. Sorry you missed that, but let me explain. Working as a postman is a TOUGH job. Early starts, high pressure, all weathers, heavy workload....I could go on. The fact so many people on this board testify to this being the case should lean you towards believing it's NOT an unskilled job ANYONE can do. I've seen people come and go, people out past delivery time, people off sick because they can't handle the pressure. No offense, but it IS a skilled job and to say anyone can do it in the same way anyone can sweep a street is simply insulting to the vast majority of Royal Mail workers.

Lastly lets look at your statement regarding people leaving Royal Mail and saying life has improved for them regardless of this being true or not. You say the vast majority of people stay with Royal Mail, yet find it hard to believe that the small majority (Using your reasoning) that leave don't find greener pastures. I'm sure some people leave and regret it, again, common sense, but i would guess those that do leave don't enter a similar job i.e freezing their bollocks off..

Anyway i'm glad you're happy where you are in life. That's ideal for anyone.
Feel free to explain why we don't have more free time than most FT workers. None of my friends, not one, is out of the house for less hours than me. Generally most posties work in a local office, hence a short commute. And we work 39hrs, the only people I know that work a rigid below 40hr week are in low paid jobs. Those earning more money work more hours, and the more money my friends earn the more hours they are working because the more the job demands. My best mate earns more than 3 times the amount I do, he also works 12-14hr days every single day and can never switch off even at home because he gets emails and calls. My wife earns nearly twice as much as me and works 15+ hours per week more with a lot more stress.

Job security.......how many posties do you know who have been made redundant against their wishes? Until very recently this was one of the very few 'jobs for life' left. Yes big changes have happened, but it's still a much more secure job than virtually anything else. Again, feel free to give me some examples of jobs where you have less chance of being made redundant.

You obviously don't like the job, that's fair enough. But don't patronise those of us who do actually enjoy it and don't find it hard at all. Yes I'm happy where I am in life because to me it's just a job, and it isn't my priority in life. I find it easy and it doesn't stress me in the least. That matters more than money, and for the record I don't think we're underpaid in the slightest. Yes we've had revisions, yes we collapse loads of walks, so what. At the end of the day I can work 39hrs and go home, it doesn't matter to me how much work there is, in fact the more there is the better for job security.

Of course a lot of people that leave will find a job they prefer, if you are looking for other jobs then you obviously don't enjoy this one very much anyway - that's what I was trying to explain.

I've seen plenty of people come and go, many of which seemed to think being a postie was beneath them and they were just doing it temporarily. Either they lasted a couple of weeks at the most or ended up loving it and staying.

I never freeze my b*llocks off on delivery btw. :cuppa
mazungu
Posts: 23
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 21:54
Gender: Male

Re: I'm out of here

Post by mazungu »

secluder wrote:LOL at those few comments regarding goodbye to £22,000 for posting letters.

I would expect he'll get a 40 hour a week job sitting in an office where he doesn't hear foul mouthed obscenities on a daily basis from self obsessed comedians, which is labelled as banter. I bet he won't get questioned each day as to wether he will complete his days work and be constantly asked to work on later. I bet he doesn't have to struggle to book holiday. I bet he enjoys every weekend off with his family and doesn't have to pretend that a one in whatever Monday added to a weekend makes up for all the Saturdays lumbering around posting letters to family's sitting at home in the warm. I bet he doesn't get stressed weekly as the usual mention of cuts and change float around the office. I bet he enjoys getting up at 7-7:30 to get in at 9.

The list goes on.

Those with the can't hack it comments are usually the ones that possibly couldn't hack a well balanced job other than putting bits of paper through metal flaps. I'll let you be the judge as to why. To say a job is what you make it is also far fetched, as why should a person change their character, morals or working style just to be 'one of the family'. In Royal Mails case it's either the Adams or the Manson family I'm afraid to say.

Lastly no offence intended, but in my opinion the job is worth a lot more than £22,000!

PS - Is there a wool pulled over your eyes smiley?
spot on mate
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: I'm out of here

Post by Barbel »

I love it at RM and can honestly say it's the best job I've ever had even though I've had some really shi* days and felt like jacking at times. I worked in an office for 20 years doing 9-5 in accounts and was getting less money for what I'm getting now. Every day was the same, forever clock watching and wishing the day away. At least in this job you don't get time to be bored and no 2 days are the same. Best thing I ever did and no longer do I dread getting up for work in the morning. Maybe I sound sad but I actually love my job.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: I'm out of here

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Barbel wrote:I love it at RM and can honestly say it's the best job I've ever had even though I've had some really shi* days and felt like jacking at times. I worked in an office for 20 years doing 9-5 in accounts and was getting less money for what I'm getting now. Every day was the same, forever clock watching and wishing the day away. At least in this job you don't get time to be bored and no 2 days are the same. Best thing I ever did and no longer do I dread getting up for work in the morning. Maybe I sound sad but I actually love my job.
I have similar sentiments. :Very Happy
Those that moan the most, in royal Mail and elsewhere, tend to be the ones that stick to the same job throughout their working lives. :sad: