ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Help! Am I being treated unfairly?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
RedBagMan
Posts: 1010
Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male
Location: Behind the lens

Re: Help! Am I being treated unfairly?

Post by RedBagMan »

Just a thought - you don't NEED to be in the Union to fight for your rights ... you just need to know them - and I'd reckon you can get most of the info you need by trawling this site (as seen from answers above) and talking to colleagues.

From your posts I see you seem to be lacking in self-confidence - if you've been treated like sh*t for 9 years I can understand that ... just get the info together and get the confidence together ... and GOOD LUCK !
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
secluder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 10:59
Gender: Male

Re: Help! Am I being treated unfairly?

Post by secluder »

Olive1979 wrote:I am not with the union because I have never seen a Rep do any good in my 9 years. I have no faith in them.
Working the job 9 years you must have at least stood alongside a union rep on a picket line or at least known of a union rep trying to make a difference i.e standing on a picket line!

Joining a union is common sense and always will be. It's not a personality issue with the local rep. it's job protection.

To me your post reeks of somebody trying to save pennies, but yet you still want assistance when it comes to the crunch. The fact the cwu union rep in your office even listened to your concerns shows he actually does care, seeing as you are not a member of said union and he has zero obligation to listen to any of your concerns.

Sorry, but i believe you are downplaying union roles to counter balance your reluctance to pay money each week to be protected in your job, just so you have a few pounds extra at the end of the week.
postslippete
Posts: 4202
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Help! Am I being treated unfairly?

Post by postslippete »

Maybe you opt to go with the flow when it comes to working for the Royal Mail, you don't really kick up a fuss in front of everyone, and so the gaffer takes advantage and puts you wherever??


It happens at our CDO all the time. For example, when someone is on LT sick or retires from the job, we see certain staff being placed on those duties every week when in fact there should be a re-pick of that duty. I know of one or two guys that are much lower than me in the seniority rankings for sure, and they all have been doing regular rounds for months, even though they are technically 'leave reserves'. Jobs for the boys or what??

But does it bother me? Not really. If Im put on different rounds, I just make their job uncomfortable by not collapsing or bringing the mail /packets back; then they have to go out and deliver it themselves!! Its easily done when you do what no-one else actually does and use a trolley. I am a bit appalled by your CWU rep although they do appear as useful as a chocolate teapot at times, especially when you inform the gaffer you will be working to your time. I would also keep a written diary of all the weekly shifts you do and your day/s off. If your gaffer gets pushy then just use everything that you have as a postal worker at your disposal: contacting your area rep (your local rep should have a contact), grievance procedure, ringing in sick, bullying and harassment helpline, e-mailing moya with just say it issuing your concerns etc etc etc

The sad fact of life is that most posties don't bother doing any of this because they wrongly assume that being nice and not upsetting the apple cart works and this is concrete proof that it really doesn't!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.