ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
I'm out of here
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
Fair play for getting out, I have to agree this job totally drains your energy to the point where you feel unmotivated to anything when you get home. I normally have a powernap after work on the heavy days to recover. Best of luck for the future mate.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
If I won the lottery, (unlikely ,as I don't do it). I would go sick for 12 months!bustedflush wrote:You act like he's failed some sort of challenge.Jambomatt1874 wrote:Cheerio then, your just another one who couldn't hack it
Firstly, he may have been in a far crappier DO than you.
Secondly, he was probably a reserve so had the added stress of new rounds to learn and throw off plus paired with runners.
Thirdly, he may have had inherent joint issues which became worse with the job.
Lastly, he's been brave enough to take the loss of shares, and reduction in pay to change things instead of moaning.
Of course, you'd carry on if you won the lottery, or are you envious he had the gumption to get out?
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
Good luck for the future and I don't blame you for getting out.
Its an absolute disgrace the amount of work we are expected to do while most of the managers seem to do very little.
Its an absolute disgrace the amount of work we are expected to do while most of the managers seem to do very little.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
I am lying on the bed, both feet tingling, sides of my shins aching, and trying not to move to much for fear of back ceasing. My thumbs are aching from the strain of holding bundles of mail. I have done 11 years and up to last February when we went P&L I was able to do this job on a cycle without having to put up with these aches and pains. I only do 3 days a week and cannot envisage what you guys who do five feel like, and how five dayers come in on their day off and do another shift is beyond belief.
Fortunately for me I am at the end of the road, and retire the end of February. I cannot wait to feel good again and pain free. This is almost an archaic way of delivering mail and parcels, not a modernisation, and the results of this will weigh heavy on Royal Mail and the CWU over the next few years. I see the chairman is already jumping ship. How long before the chief executive does the same before someone else has to sort this mess out.
Fortunately for me I am at the end of the road, and retire the end of February. I cannot wait to feel good again and pain free. This is almost an archaic way of delivering mail and parcels, not a modernisation, and the results of this will weigh heavy on Royal Mail and the CWU over the next few years. I see the chairman is already jumping ship. How long before the chief executive does the same before someone else has to sort this mess out.
-
Lord Hereford
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
You're just jealous because you haven't got the balls to take the plunge yourself!Jambomatt1874 wrote:Cheerio then, your just another one who couldn't hack it
Officially I was a floater, but in the last year I've rarely been on the round I'm due on, thanks to the regulars always working their day off. Of course the managers know they won't work their day off if they're not going to be on their own round so it's easier for them to mess about the floaters and reserves. I've been sent all over the place, even occasionally to a neighbouring office (which I actually liked as it was a more friendly and laid-back office, with a DOM who wasn't a complete c*nt). And I did in fact injure my knee many years ago, it hasn't been 100% since but it's only in the last 6 months (since the job became so relentless) it's given me any major problems.bustedflush wrote:Secondly, he was probably a reserve so had the added stress of new rounds to learn and throw off plus paired with runners.
Thirdly, he may have had inherent joint issues which became worse with the job.
-
calpsy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
Best thing I ever did was leave . Miss the banter with some of the guys cos the DO I was in was actually a really good one and the managers we had were great but the job was getting worse by the day .
Did leave on IHR with a nice payment
and life has been great since .
Did leave on IHR with a nice payment
-
SWIM
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 11 Jan 2010, 20:33
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
what do you do now?calpsy wrote:Best thing I ever did was leave . Miss the banter with some of the guys cos the DO I was in was actually a really good one and the managers we had were great but the job was getting worse by the day .
Did leave on IHR with a nice paymentand life has been great since .
'deal of the century' - dingo
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
Then you're clearly not fit in the slightest. I've said this plenty of times, but this job does not make you fit. I finished a 5hr slog in the snow on Friday, got home and trained for an hour on the bike. Another 4.5hr walk in the snow yesterday and I've just been out and done 45 miles on the bike.lcook282 wrote:But not worth it when the job leaves me with no energy whatsoever/quote]
agree
I'm not superfit by any means, but posties just assume they're fit because they walk a lot - seriously, put some shorts and trainers on and go for a run. See how long it takes you to run 5k. When I started cycling/running I was shocked how unfit I was despite doing this job for years and not being overweight at all.
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Re: I'm out of here
I have to agree with this, i find it keeps your bottom half tonned up but ive still got the belly i had when i started 10 years ago lol.OnAFlyer wrote:Then you're clearly not fit in the slightest. I've said this plenty of times, but this job does not make you fit. I finished a 5hr slog in the snow on Friday, got home and trained for an hour on the bike. Another 4.5hr walk in the snow yesterday and I've just been out and done 45 miles on the bike.lcook282 wrote:But not worth it when the job leaves me with no energy whatsoever/quote]
agree
I'm not superfit by any means, but posties just assume they're fit because they walk a lot - seriously, put some shorts and trainers on and go for a run. See how long it takes you to run 5k. When I started cycling/running I was shocked how unfit I was despite doing this job for years and not being overweight at all.
Walking is good exercise but there is so much more csn be done.
I dont struggle with the duty but am glad to have a sit down and a cuppa when i get home.
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
This is the main reason why P&L was introduced, RM figuring that most people would want to rush round and, if paired with a slower person, the slower one would have to rush to keep up.Lord Hereford wrote:A lot of my colleagues are only interested in rushing around like idiots to get home early, which is of course their problem and shouldn't affect me, except with P&L it does if I'm working with one of them. It's a constant battle just to be able to do my job properly, and I've had enough.
The friction that this causes has made the job unbearable for some . I had to do P&L for a couple of months before I left and invariably got paired with a runner who would try and badger me into rushing, coming in early etc. then they'd go whining to the DOM when I wouldn't.
So, for most of the time I was relegated to taking out the cut-offs and working in the callers office until my final day.
How people that are trying to do the job properly put up with it every day, Ill never know!
-
cyrus
- Posts: 215
- Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:38
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
OnAFlyer wrote:Then you're clearly not fit in the slightest. I've said this plenty of times, but this job does not make you fit. I finished a 5hr slog in the snow on Friday, got home and trained for an hour on the bike. Another 4.5hr walk in the snow yesterday and I've just been out and done 45 miles on the bike.lcook282 wrote:But not worth it when the job leaves me with no energy whatsoever/quote]
agree
I'm not superfit by any means, but posties just assume they're fit because they walk a lot - seriously, put some shorts and trainers on and go for a run. See how long it takes you to run 5k. When I started cycling/running I was shocked how unfit I was despite doing this job for years and not being overweight at all.
I used to teach martial arts,ran half marathons,boxing etc-I got a resting heart rate of 45 bpm (gave it all up over past few years due to this job). This job leaves me utterly knackered.Walks in our office can have have a 100 flats on them(which gives me a serious cardio workout).Then add on the long drive ways with gravel paths.(which make you really work your foot muscles to the point of serious pain).A lot of posties are have foot, knee, and back problems in our office, since these revised duty's have came in.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: I'm out of here
calpsy wrote:Best thing I ever did was leave . Miss the banter with some of the guys cos the DO I was in was actually a really good one and the managers we had were great but the job was getting worse by the day .
Did leave on IHR with a nice paymentand life has been great since .
Hey buddy
How you doing.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
secluder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 10:59
- Gender: Male
Re: I'm out of here
LOL at those few comments regarding goodbye to £22,000 for posting letters.
I would expect he'll get a 40 hour a week job sitting in an office where he doesn't hear foul mouthed obscenities on a daily basis from self obsessed comedians, which is labelled as banter. I bet he won't get questioned each day as to wether he will complete his days work and be constantly asked to work on later. I bet he doesn't have to struggle to book holiday. I bet he enjoys every weekend off with his family and doesn't have to pretend that a one in whatever Monday added to a weekend makes up for all the Saturdays lumbering around posting letters to family's sitting at home in the warm. I bet he doesn't get stressed weekly as the usual mention of cuts and change float around the office. I bet he enjoys getting up at 7-7:30 to get in at 9.
The list goes on.
Those with the can't hack it comments are usually the ones that possibly couldn't hack a well balanced job other than putting bits of paper through metal flaps. I'll let you be the judge as to why. To say a job is what you make it is also far fetched, as why should a person change their character, morals or working style just to be 'one of the family'. In Royal Mails case it's either the Adams or the Manson family I'm afraid to say.
Lastly no offence intended, but in my opinion the job is worth a lot more than £22,000!
PS - Is there a wool pulled over your eyes smiley?
I would expect he'll get a 40 hour a week job sitting in an office where he doesn't hear foul mouthed obscenities on a daily basis from self obsessed comedians, which is labelled as banter. I bet he won't get questioned each day as to wether he will complete his days work and be constantly asked to work on later. I bet he doesn't have to struggle to book holiday. I bet he enjoys every weekend off with his family and doesn't have to pretend that a one in whatever Monday added to a weekend makes up for all the Saturdays lumbering around posting letters to family's sitting at home in the warm. I bet he doesn't get stressed weekly as the usual mention of cuts and change float around the office. I bet he enjoys getting up at 7-7:30 to get in at 9.
The list goes on.
Those with the can't hack it comments are usually the ones that possibly couldn't hack a well balanced job other than putting bits of paper through metal flaps. I'll let you be the judge as to why. To say a job is what you make it is also far fetched, as why should a person change their character, morals or working style just to be 'one of the family'. In Royal Mails case it's either the Adams or the Manson family I'm afraid to say.
Lastly no offence intended, but in my opinion the job is worth a lot more than £22,000!
PS - Is there a wool pulled over your eyes smiley?
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: I'm out of here
You seem to think he'll walk into a warm and safe, everyone so nice and polite, 22 grand 9-5 and no weekend working office job.
Are you delusional?
Are you delusional?
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: I'm out of here
secluder wrote:LOL at those few comments regarding goodbye to £22,000 for posting letters.
I would expect he'll get a 40 hour a week job sitting in an office where he doesn't hear foul mouthed obscenities on a daily basis from self obsessed comedians, which is labelled as banter. I bet he won't get questioned each day as to wether he will complete his days work and be constantly asked to work on later. I bet he doesn't have to struggle to book holiday. I bet he enjoys every weekend off with his family and doesn't have to pretend that a one in whatever Monday added to a weekend makes up for all the Saturdays lumbering around posting letters to family's sitting at home in the warm. I bet he doesn't get stressed weekly as the usual mention of cuts and change float around the office. I bet he enjoys getting up at 7-7:30 to get in at 9.
The list goes on.
Those with the can't hack it comments are usually the ones that possibly couldn't hack a well balanced job other than putting bits of paper through metal flaps. I'll let you be the judge as to why. To say a job is what you make it is also far fetched, as why should a person change their character, morals or working style just to be 'one of the family'. In Royal Mails case it's either the Adams or the Manson family I'm afraid to say.
Lastly no offence intended, but in my opinion the job is worth a lot more than £22,000!
PS - Is there a wool pulled over your eyes smiley?
I get most of what you are saying but when was the last time you looked at the job market ?
Its pretty bad right now. No overtime, little paid leave, flexibly hours, 0 hour contracts and the list goes on and on.
Yes this job is not great, agreed but there are far worse out there.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........