ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Best walking shoes 2015

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Hitcher
Posts: 1536
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Hitcher »

While I found insoles and YDS trainers better I'm still having problems so going to try some Brooks.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Ket wrote:@answer=42

Could you please post a link for the YDS trainers?

They are RM issue.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Ket
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 14:45
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Ket »

Justanotherstar wrote:I've been wearing these for just over a week now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271733270475? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice and comfortable, much lighter than the YDS! Goretex lined so waterproof, they seem like they could handle a fair few months of postal abuse...actually considering getting another pair since it looks like i'll be made full time in the coming weeks

The picture on that listing is crap but they look pretty smart (Considering they're Reebok lol)
I just bought them and they feel quite comfortable and light and give a spring to my walking. I'll come back in a week or so for update.
Hitcher
Posts: 1536
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Hitcher »

35wayno wrote:Hi,

Try brooks glycerin,

2 types that would suit your budget

Adrenaline gtx ( completely waterproof)
Brooke's beast 12 or 14 - incredibly light and durable. They have lasted me 6 months before having to replace, however I do walk very heavily to the outside of my heel ( over pronation ) I feel sure they would last a lot longer for someone wit a normal walking gait.

Don't forget that if you NEED these for work, i.e, medical reason you can claim between £30 and up to full value, persist with your manager and show him evidence, atos referrals, doctors note.

Hope this helps
Got some Adrenaline's last week and the difference is huge - I can actually walk my round with next to no discomfort and the heel support is amazing. Got my doctors note but just want to know how to approach my manager with regard to claiming money back as I'm sure they'll claim they know nothing about it.

Thanks.
GoingPostal86
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by GoingPostal86 »

I ordered the YDS this time.. I'll get some orthopedic insoles. The anvil ones have completely wrecked my feet, nothing but shooting pains even when I'm driving on a collection only and especially when I am off and at home with my feet up! Last attempt before I reach for a doctor's note and get a decent pair!
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Nondescript »

Anyone who is considering Orthotics or indeed some of the trainers mentioned needs to discern whether they have a neutral, supination or pronation gait as that will greatly affect their choice (do a google search on 'pronation' and 'supination' for an explanation). The Brooks Beast mentioned, for example, is a very bad choice for a supinator (someone who walks on the outside of their feet and has a very rigid gait) but a very good choice for a pronator, while the opposite is true for the Brooks Glycerin.
Ket
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 14:45
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Ket »

Ket wrote:
Justanotherstar wrote:I've been wearing these for just over a week now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271733270475? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice and comfortable, much lighter than the YDS! Goretex lined so waterproof, they seem like they could handle a fair few months of postal abuse...actually considering getting another pair since it looks like i'll be made full time in the coming weeks

The picture on that listing is crap but they look pretty smart (Considering they're Reebok lol)
I just bought them and they feel quite comfortable and light and give a spring to my walking. I'll come back in a week or so for update.
The reeboks have proved very comfortable and light. The only disadvantage I find is that the are a bit slippery on wet flat surfaces which won't be helpful for mail distribution. Otherwise I'm happy with them. Thanks everyone for your contributions on this thread.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by datasaint »

I currently wear New Balance 624v3 trainers with New Balance IPR3030 insoles. It's like walking on carpet all day.

http://www.newbalance.co.uk/pd/new-bala ... olor=Black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Insol ... B00C1AE17U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mickh2423
Posts: 4
Joined: 26 Jul 2014, 20:19
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by mickh2423 »

Have a look at Gladstone Boots site. Original Swat 1010 boots on there for about £50 quid. More comfortable and supportive than anything that Royal Mail could ever come up with and as light as a pair of civvy trainers. You would of course need permission to wear them.