I ve known 4 Posties over the years who used to be bus drivers all were good blokes.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier
Its nice to hear people leave and are happier. Its what life's all about.
I ve known 4 Posties over the years who used to be bus drivers all were good blokes.
I ve known 4 Posties over the years who used to be bus drivers all were good blokes.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier
- indeed, just like the bus driver that pulled out to avoid a pram.krussel wrote:Its nice to hear people leave and are happier. Its what life's all about.![]()
I ve known 4 Posties over the years who used to be bus drivers all were good blokes.
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier
Good luck. I left bus driving to become a postman. There is absolutely no stress in this job compared to driving a bus. I loved my first year driving a bus. The next 3 were torture. Shifts became a pain, working sundays, late weekend shifts with drunks, fools on the road the list goes on.
I've been at royal mail a few years now and know I'll be home at 3/4 everyday at the latest and finally get to spend time with my family. But I know a few bus drivers who came off the post years ago and prefer the dry driving job than getting cold and wet every day. I suppose it depends on each individual.
I've been at royal mail a few years now and know I'll be home at 3/4 everyday at the latest and finally get to spend time with my family. But I know a few bus drivers who came off the post years ago and prefer the dry driving job than getting cold and wet every day. I suppose it depends on each individual.
-
Dalelad
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier
Thanks. Yeah, I expereinced the same at RM. There were a few ex bus drivers there but I also know of a few posties that left to become bus drivers. All part timers like myself. Reason for leaving was full time employment and greater job security. The full time postie is a dying breed unfortunately. Once they've all gone, all posties will be part time. Even if RM did decide to start making a few part timers up to full time, the waiting list would be long, due to the old fashioned seniority system they adopt. I do miss being a postie sometimes but then I think to myself "I'm a permanent, full time employee now". Theres no substitute for that. Then when its freezing cold and chucking it down and I drive past a postie trundling along with his trolley, I think to myself,"could be worse". Im 36 now so gotta long time til retirement. The main aim of taking this job was a means to an end. There'll always be a need for bus drivers. I have a career for life now. Like any job, there'll be good days and bad days. I just hope my story inspires a few more ambitious part timers to fly the nest that is RM. Its a big world out there and there are good full time opportunities out there if you're prepared to try something different.kingeric wrote:Good luck. I left bus driving to become a postman. There is absolutely no stress in this job compared to driving a bus. I loved my first year driving a bus. The next 3 were torture. Shifts became a pain, working sundays, late weekend shifts with drunks, fools on the road the list goes on.
I've been at royal mail a few years now and know I'll be home at 3/4 everyday at the latest and finally get to spend time with my family. But I know a few bus drivers who came off the post years ago and prefer the dry driving job than getting cold and wet every day. I suppose it depends on each individual.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier
"The full time postie is a dying breed unfortunately" although it doesn't seem long since the CWU got a commitment from Royal Mail about being mostly full time.Dalelad wrote:Thanks. Yeah, I expereinced the same at RM. There were a few ex bus drivers there but I also know of a few posties that left to become bus drivers. All part timers like myself. Reason for leaving was full time employment and greater job security. The full time postie is a dying breed unfortunately. Once they've all gone, all posties will be part time. Even if RM did decide to start making a few part timers up to full time, the waiting list would be long, due to the old fashioned seniority system they adopt. I do miss being a postie sometimes but then I think to myself "I'm a permanent, full time employee now". Theres no substitute for that. Then when its freezing cold and chucking it down and I drive past a postie trundling along with his trolley, I think to myself,"could be worse". Im 36 now so gotta long time til retirement. The main aim of taking this job was a means to an end. There'll always be a need for bus drivers. I have a career for life now. Like any job, there'll be good days and bad days. I just hope my story inspires a few more ambitious part timers to fly the nest that is RM. Its a big world out there and there are good full time opportunities out there if you're prepared to try something different.kingeric wrote:Good luck. I left bus driving to become a postman. There is absolutely no stress in this job compared to driving a bus. I loved my first year driving a bus. The next 3 were torture. Shifts became a pain, working sundays, late weekend shifts with drunks, fools on the road the list goes on.
I've been at royal mail a few years now and know I'll be home at 3/4 everyday at the latest and finally get to spend time with my family. But I know a few bus drivers who came off the post years ago and prefer the dry driving job than getting cold and wet every day. I suppose it depends on each individual.
"There'll always be a need for bus drivers" because few people were daft enough to take notice of Thatcher saying that a man in his thirties using a bus can consider himself a failure.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16726
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier
Perhaps this one should have stuck to the vans?
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/stu ... vi-AA8G4Yg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/stu ... vi-AA8G4Yg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier
Clash,clashcityrocker wrote:Perhaps this one should have stuck to the vans?
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/stu ... vi-AA8G4Yg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That was a waste of three minutes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier
Daley,Dalelad wrote:Don't get me wrong, if I was full time or was guaranteed to be full time one day, I would have stuck it out. Apart from all the carp we have to put up with from the line managers and dim, when u get out there on the road its not all that bad. But unfortunately RM have gone down this employment route and now they have installed a revolving door. People start there part time under the illusion that one day they'll get a full time job. After being there a while u soon realise that this will never be the case. So you hammer the O/T to try and fill the void. Then RM employ a load more part timers and O/T dries up. That is then the kick up the backside u need to find a new career. I urge any part timer out there to just keep an eye out for opportunities. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.
Can you benefit from overnight retention of the bus like we do with the vans ?