ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Re-pick

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Re-pick

Post by fishtank »

centenaryman wrote:ah with the office I work on in a 75-25 % split that's exactly what happens,,,,,,ive years in and lads with 1 or 2 years are on duties,,,im spare after 10+ years,,,,i feel a tad more than let down
The only thing that's let you down is automation and a reduction in the indoor workload which means the old days of filling every seat with a full-timer have gone and the business has to offset that reduction in indoor work by hiring part-timers.

Once you have part-time staff then it follows that full-time duties should be covered by full-time reserves and part-time duties by part-time reserves otherwise you either have a full-timer covering a part-time shift and no indoor work for them or a part-timer covering a full-time shift and a hole in your indoor resource that needs to be back-filled.

Once you understand the need for both full-time and part-time duty holders and reserves it's simply the case that full-time contracts are given out on a seniority basis so your part-time staff will always mostly be junior and some of your more senior full-timers have to give way to junior part-time duty holders and become full-time reserves.

What it does mean for a part-timer is that on the rare occasion that a full-time contract becomes available they will likely have to leave the comfort of their duty and become a full-time reserve.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Re-pick

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Here's another idea...Rotate everyone around the office on a weekly basis! :shock: I bet we'd soon end up with EVERY duty being equal? No-one would have a nest to feather! (If impractical with the Larger Dos, with 100 plus Duties, you could go back to the old 4 man team system where they rotated between themselves) :hmmmm
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Re-pick

Post by Barbel »

The walk I've been doing for 6 months has just been advertised and I had to write a letter to apply for it. Doesn't look like I'm going to get it though as somebody more senior to me also applied for it. I had a nice surprise in the post the other daythough, a letter informing me that my hours are to be increasing from 24 to 39 so at last I've been made up to a full timer! :nana
greavsey
Posts: 22
Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 20:55
Gender: Male

Re: Re-pick

Post by greavsey »

lilmiss123 wrote:Hi, I'm relatively new to the royal Mail so have never gone through a re-pick. We have one coming up and apparently we have to write a letter to one of the managers/ union reps regarding a walk we would like to be selected for. I'm just wondering exactly what do I put in this letter is it just a simple case of I would like to put my name forward and that's it?
Sorry to inform you Seniority every time. It does'nt matter how good you are or how useless they are they get first pick. That's one of the problems with Royal Mail, some of them have never done a proper job!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Re-pick

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Barbel wrote:The walk I've been doing for 6 months has just been advertised and I had to write a letter to apply for it. Doesn't look like I'm going to get it though as somebody more senior to me also applied for it. I had a nice surprise in the post the other daythough, a letter informing me that my hours are to be increasing from 24 to 39 so at last I've been made up to a full timer! :nana
Congratulations Barbel :Applause Happy Days :Very Happy I don't think some of the Full Timers realise what a strain it is trying to make ends meet on a Crappy PT Contract. At least now when you're dealing with all the day to day crap you'll get a Full Weeks wages at the end of it! :thumbup

And remember now you'll get your Full Share of those Bloody Pro-Rata Pay outs! :arrrghhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Re-pick

Post by Barbel »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Barbel wrote:The walk I've been doing for 6 months has just been advertised and I had to write a letter to apply for it. Doesn't look like I'm going to get it though as somebody more senior to me also applied for it. I had a nice surprise in the post the other daythough, a letter informing me that my hours are to be increasing from 24 to 39 so at last I've been made up to a full timer! :nana
Congratulations Barbel :Applause Happy Days :Very Happy I don't think some of the Full Timers realise what a strain it is trying to make ends meet on a Crappy PT Contract. At least now when you're dealing with all the day to day crap you'll get a Full Weeks wages at the end of it! :thumbup

And remember now you'll get your Full Share of those Bloody Pro-Rata Pay outs! :arrrghhh

Thank you! :Very Happy