ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by aiden01 »

kirstyx wrote:I had a house with a hand written note for no junk mail but no opt out was done so he still got d2ds one day he came out swearing at me shouting cant you read among other lovely comments and he had hold of about 3 months of d2ds rolled up in his hand and then threw them at me. Reported him to manager who went out to see him but he ended up with a mouthful and had the door slammed in his face so a letter was sent to him explaining how to opt out this was 7 months ago but stillnnot heard anything from him.
hope he,s still getting his much sought after d2ds :Very Happy
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Every Duty has it's "Victor Meldrews"! :Very Happy Just explain we're contracted to deliver them, explain they've got to Opt Out and tell them to get on their PC to Royal Mail.com. I always emphasise, "They're called Households".

Most can't be bothered so just keep delivering them, but I take my hat off to those that can....At least they're just not out for a moan! :speak to the hand I've also seen "Official Royal Mail Opt Out" signs on doors, which I think is a good reminder.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
kirstyx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 147
Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
Gender: Female

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by kirstyx »

aiden01 wrote:
kirstyx wrote:I had a house with a hand written note for no junk mail but no opt out was done so he still got d2ds one day he came out swearing at me shouting cant you read among other lovely comments and he had hold of about 3 months of d2ds rolled up in his hand and then threw them at me. Reported him to manager who went out to see him but he ended up with a mouthful and had the door slammed in his face so a letter was sent to him explaining how to opt out this was 7 months ago but stillnnot heard anything from him.
hope he,s still getting his much sought after d2ds :Very Happy
Of course. I don't want him to miss out lol. He is such a pain he even returns addressed mail with notes on saying to stop sending mail that he hasn't asked for. Wish i had that much time on my hands
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by wabbithunta »

kirstyx wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
kirstyx wrote:I had a house with a hand written note for no junk mail but no opt out was done so he still got d2ds one day he came out swearing at me shouting cant you read among other lovely comments and he had hold of about 3 months of d2ds rolled up in his hand and then threw them at me. Reported him to manager who went out to see him but he ended up with a mouthful and had the door slammed in his face so a letter was sent to him explaining how to opt out this was 7 months ago but stillnnot heard anything from him.
hope he,s still getting his much sought after d2ds :Very Happy
Of course. I don't want him to miss out lol. He is such a pain he even returns addressed mail with notes on saying to stop sending mail that he hasn't asked for. Wish i had that much time on my hands
Keep delivering them, as instructed by Royal Mail, and remind him each time he rants and raves about the "junkmail" that he should put an Opt Out in place, via the Royal Mail website.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Every Duty has it's "Victor Meldrews"! :Very Happy Just explain we're contracted to deliver them, explain they've got to Opt Out and tell them to get on their PC to Royal Mail.com. I always emphasise, "They're called Households".

Most can't be bothered so just keep delivering them, but I take my hat off to those that can....At least they're just not out for a moan! :speak to the hand I've also seen "Official Royal Mail Opt Out" signs on doors, which I think is a good reminder.
I've never seen that, only official opt out of Delivery To Neighbour.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Don't believe they're "Official Royal Mail " Lizard. Just been done on a decent printer and with the right terms i.e No Households. :cool
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Don't believe they're "Official Royal Mail " Lizard. Just been done on a decent printer and with the right terms i.e No Households. :cool
DP,
No, I've never seen and would never believe any "Official Royal Mail" notice for Door To Door exemption. :Very Happy
I only accept Royal Mail's official opt out of Delivery To Neighbour. :nana
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by Dorset Plodder »

See what you're saying. I knew the guy had opted out (because he's been really anal about it in the past) I was amused to see he'd also put a sign in his porch window! Now WTF for god's sake if some Households are inadvertently put through your door by the Relief....JUST THROW THEM IN THE BIN......just why people get so wound up by these things is beyond me! :hmmmm P.S My New Years Resolution is to stop shouting at the Television....So I know what I'm talking about! :wink:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by wabbithunta »

Dorset Plodder wrote:See what you're saying. I knew the guy had opted out (because he's been really anal about it in the past) I was amused to see he'd also put a sign in his porch window! Now WTF for god's sake if some Households are inadvertently put through your door by the Relief....JUST THROW THEM IN THE BIN......just why people get so wound up by these things is beyond me! :hmmmm P.S My New Years Resolution is to stop shouting at the Television....So I know what I'm talking about! :wink:
tv brick pic.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by bustedflush »

Dorset Plodder wrote:See what you're saying. I knew the guy had opted out (because he's been really anal about it in the past) I was amused to see he'd also put a sign in his porch window! Now WTF for god's sake if some Households are inadvertently put through your door by the Relief....JUST THROW THEM IN THE BIN......just why people get so wound up by these things is beyond me! :hmmmm P.S My New Years Resolution is to stop shouting at the Television....So I know what I'm talking about! :wink:
They are a form of harassment via the letterbox. There's laws about unsolicited e-mails (spam) with which the ethos is you shouldn't receive marketing e-mails unless you opt-in. RM operates a reverse ethos, 'we'll dump them on you unless you opt-out.' I can see why people get so p!ssy about them, you get home and are maybe expecting a letter, or you are a person who minimizes paper correspondence via online statements etc. and lo and behold! you tread your way through a heap of brightly-coloured crap as you walk through the door. You then have to bend down, pick the buggers up and go outside to deposit them in the recycling box. Last thing you need after a stressful day at work.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by chrisj »

They do not want them, then do not deliver! So the postie got a lot of aggro and then his manager - and the solution was to tell him how to opt out of rubbish...

What a waste of time just for the few that do not want D2Ds or marketing materials! As a walkholder and a postie in the community, it is not in your best interest to have obvious confrontation with a customer over next to nothing.

Who side will the public or media take if things escalated badly?

Last week, a customer drove up to me to tell me that the letter is not mine. 'I looked puzzled' and thought I made a misdelivery'; customer then said the person do not live there. I said, I was not to know that. This lady looked at me and she was giving me the letter, she said I am doing the right thing by giving it to you. I could have left it there but I said, in actual fact, it is better to endorse it and put it in the mail box... She reached back for the letter and said I would have done that if you were not here - I said it was OK but I know now I have a disgruntled customer...

Was it worth the hassle just trying to prove a point? - not really, IMO (although I might still do it - depends on how I am feeling; driving up to me to hand me a letter that was properly delivered just wound me up unnecessarily.

I have learnt my lesson with D2D - argue with a certain gentleman, respected and wealthy customer about d2ds - got reported and virtually no support from management - not again; any note on the door nowadays, I respect.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by clashcityrocker »

chrisj wrote:
I have learnt my lesson with D2D - any note on the door nowadays, I respect.
I go by the information request which said RM regard non delivery of D2D as wilful delay and as such is a sackable offence.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by chrisj »

It is not wilful delay and it was refused... I always prep (before mail) all door to doors except for the opt-outs and when I see a sign that says do not deliver: I do not bother. I endorse as refused and take it back.

You can quote any guideline you like, I will not wilfully enter into a confrontation with a customer because I know I will come out of it badly... This is my experience and if the manager wants to go via the route of wilful delay, he/she can do so but I will remind them of the times when I have not had any support, even when I feel I am in the right with a customer.

On the issue of customer handing back mail to postman as refused or unwanted: I know some colleagues that will not take things back or some that will not bother to give a parcel to a customer that approaches them with a P739 whilst still on the round...

I know my managers, my office and I have been doing this for just about long enough to have learned from experience and know where I stand.

Customers do not want things, they do not get it - simple! I am not going to be there arguing and trying to prove a point!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by clashcityrocker »

chrisj wrote:It is not wilful delay and it was refused... I always prep (before mail) all door to doors except for the opt-outs and when I see a sign that says do not deliver: I do not bother. I endorse as refused and take it back.
So how many do you take back?
I know of whole streets, virtually whole rounds where people have put "No Junk Mail" stickers on their doors. (Helpfully provided by the local council I might add)
If you were to take any notice of these signs, you would hardly deliver any D2D at all.
You would probably have to claim a couple of hours docket every week endorsing the things.
And what does the manager do with them?
Last edited by clashcityrocker on 12 Jan 2015, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: how to deal with door2doors refusal...

Post by chrisj »

I know you like to argue or lets say debate (sometimes) just to be positive... I suppose you might even be like that with you managers - good for you!

I do not have to take back that many - maybe two or so... Never that many to worry about.

If you have a whole block where people are being supported by the Council not to accept d2ds, then that is something you should raise with your manager - and he can deal with the issue.
If you work in an office where it is most likely to be an issue then you are experienced enough to know the solution to the matter.

I am sure I have not being doing the job as long as you but having said that, I know my office and managers. You are likely going to get a bollocking for delivering to an opt-out customer who is a persistent complainer than bringing 5 d2ds back for being refused. (how long does it take to write refused as you go along?)

BTW, I am a Reserve and do not work in an office/areas where people wholesale have 'do not put junk mail'. Sometimes, I work in a very high profile areas where you just have to watch your steps. My managers take complaints seriously and very often come out on the side of customers: they just have to complain about your attitude and lie about you or reaction and you will be told to be careful in future; and it goes on record.

To be honest, I will most likely get a telling off from walkholders for upsetting their customers... Because it might affect their Tips and/or because some of them have been doing the round for many many years and have very good relationships - not being confrontational and/or being a smart-ass.