I had two complaints on my file that had come from customers over minor things.
I got a stage 1 warning. So it's not just sickness you get stage warnings for.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Managers and stage one warnings
-
SF
- Posts: 183
- Joined: 12 Nov 2009, 23:30
- Gender: Male
- Location: Midlands.
-
royalmailslave
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
SF wrote:I had two complaints on my file that had come from customers over minor things.
I got a stage 1 warning. So it's not just sickness you get stage warnings for.
I had similar things...dropping bands (nobody had actually witnessed me doing it) the occupier of the house had attributed it to the postman...my day off cover has form for dropping bands and I believe it was him (it wasn't me ) but because I was the walk holder they put a black mark against my name
And another because occupier said I hadn't rang or knocked when I did...(incidentally a few days later they had a new bell fitted) but that went against me...our union isn't doing enough to prevent these stupid complaints from becoming a black mark against and could cost someone their job...managers don't even investigate it...I was just told to film myself on my mobile phone knocking on doors....like we've got time for that...pathetic
-
thebiggestman
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
Let me try and help youtwincamms wrote:
I'm not really understanding this quote, perhaps you'll have to explain it in a more simple form, I'm not that intelligent.
Why would you get your colleague to walk out over an isolated incident between you and your manager? Because he issued you a Stage 1? Why would you want your colleagues to lose pay over such a minor issue? If you know it's been incorrectly issued, just go with it, it's his error and will be exposed further down the line and make him look like a fool and incompetent. Put in a grievance for being issued a Stage 1? There's no right of appeal for Stage 1 or Stage 2 warnings, a grievance won't do you any good. Your logic baffles me..................
As an office you should as a Union stand together for what is right, not look the other way cos I'm alright. If it is truly a procedural error or an incorrect use of the Attendance Procedure, as you say there is no appeal. Then put in a grievance against said error then have the gonads to stand and highlight the grievance with a little walk or as sure as eggs is eggs next time IT WILL BE YOU. Otherwise you get to dismissal review an equally biased numpty doesn't care about the errors cos you've breached the standards and without giving a history lesson look at how many attendance cases go to ET regardless of the period between dismissal and hearing. Aside of equality discrimination you will not win an attendance ET because the standards are printed, you're fully aware and you've had an interview accepting the breach. Simple enough.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
The issuing of a stage 1 formal prompt is not mandatory and is dependant on the merits and the circumstances of the absence.Greenbaum wrote:Do managers benefit from issuing warnings in some way? I only ask as
We have a temporary assistant manager Who appears to be determined to issue me a stage one warning. I had a heart attack and was off for 4 months all of which was covered by doctors, unfit for work, notes. I also went through OH Assist who were happy with the situation. I went back to work and was put on a full walk within a week because 'they were desperate' . In short I can't see any justification for disciplinary action. So all I can think of is he gets brownie points or needs to tick some box on his resume' or something. Can anyone shed any light?
In the circumstances you have posted then the issuing of a stage 1 formal prompt would be unjustified however as it is being overseen by a temporary assistant manger then he/she would probably not know any better and would be thinking of their own situation rather than yours.
Firstly I would be looking at if this temporary assistant manager has been fully trained on the attendance procedure and has the authority to issue stage warnings.
If you are still in the process of the procedure and are a union member I would inform your local rep to accompany you at this meeting and get the issuing of a stage 1 overturned.
There are advantages and disadvantages of letting it run through to a stage 3 formal prompt where dismissal is being considered should you be unfortunate to reach this stage however I would attempt to have this kicked to touch at the stage 1.
-
lylehillboonen
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
Twincamms totally agree the casuals etc are over a barrel. But there will be more to come re the attendance procedure. As we are a private company and with the rumblings of swipe cards (maybe already in some offices but not ours) your starting time will be monitored electronically ie say your start time is 0630 and you swipe at 0631 that is classified as an absence.......so there are about 3 individuals in our office who's time keeping goes unchallenged by management that would quickly be dismissed.twincamms wrote:Without being rude, what planet are you on?thebiggestman wrote:twincamms wrote:What planet are you on. Give some good advice and if it is truly unjust get the office to walk out. If they have followed the attendance agreement and given the correct reviews and opportunity for mitigation, added to the cost to go Tribunal they wouldn't care less what the absence was for. Everyone thinks they're unfairly dismissed only 3% are. Nip it at the first opportunity put in a grievance and get your colleagues to walk
As RM use more and more Part Time 8, 20 , 30 hour contract staff the chances of getting people to walk out are minimal, they are grateful for jobs and will do pretty much anything asked of them. Most aren't interested in joining the CWU, I'm afraid the 'old guard' is almost extinct and RM will continue using the stick, disciplinary, IHR, constructive dismissal until they're all gone.
This was demonstrated recently when there was a walkout at our DO, 30% stayed indoors and continued prepping whilst 70% lost a days pay, has anything changed, a few token gestures, but things remain the same........................
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
You walk into work one minute late and that gets chalked as an absence? Are you sure? So, if you work the full shift, it's still an absence? Not only is it extreme, I can't see any firm being allowed to bring that in.lylehillboonen wrote:Twincamms totally agree the casuals etc are over a barrel. But there will be more to come re the attendance procedure. As we are a private company and with the rumblings of swipe cards (maybe already in some offices but not ours) your starting time will be monitored electronically ie say your start time is 0630 and you swipe at 0631 that is classified as an absence.......so there are about 3 individuals in our office who's time keeping goes unchallenged by management that would quickly be dismissed.twincamms wrote:Without being rude, what planet are you on?thebiggestman wrote:twincamms wrote:What planet are you on. Give some good advice and if it is truly unjust get the office to walk out. If they have followed the attendance agreement and given the correct reviews and opportunity for mitigation, added to the cost to go Tribunal they wouldn't care less what the absence was for. Everyone thinks they're unfairly dismissed only 3% are. Nip it at the first opportunity put in a grievance and get your colleagues to walk
As RM use more and more Part Time 8, 20 , 30 hour contract staff the chances of getting people to walk out are minimal, they are grateful for jobs and will do pretty much anything asked of them. Most aren't interested in joining the CWU, I'm afraid the 'old guard' is almost extinct and RM will continue using the stick, disciplinary, IHR, constructive dismissal until they're all gone.
This was demonstrated recently when there was a walkout at our DO, 30% stayed indoors and continued prepping whilst 70% lost a days pay, has anything changed, a few token gestures, but things remain the same........................
-
Greenbaum
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 22 Aug 2013, 18:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
I think the stand in DOM is behind it, he likes to bully and threaten people. I attended the interview which was ok then got a written letter supposedly saying what was said which was like it was from a different interview. I highlighted all the lies added the ommisions and gave it back unsigned. Haven't heard anything since (a couple of weeks). We don't have a union rep so the manager gets away with murder. I've contacted the union a couple of times in the past but they don't seem keen to visit. don't know why I still pay them to be honest.rehabron wrote:The issuing of a stage 1 formal prompt is not mandatory and is dependant on the merits and the circumstances of the absence.Greenbaum wrote:Do managers benefit from issuing warnings in some way? I only ask as
We have a temporary assistant manager Who appears to be determined to issue me a stage one warning. I had a heart attack and was off for 4 months all of which was covered by doctors, unfit for work, notes. I also went through OH Assist who were happy with the situation. I went back to work and was put on a full walk within a week because 'they were desperate' . In short I can't see any justification for disciplinary action. So all I can think of is he gets brownie points or needs to tick some box on his resume' or something. Can anyone shed any light?
In the circumstances you have posted then the issuing of a stage 1 formal prompt would be unjustified however as it is being overseen by a temporary assistant manger then he/she would probably not know any better and would be thinking of their own situation rather than yours.
Firstly I would be looking at if this temporary assistant manager has been fully trained on the attendance procedure and has the authority to issue stage warnings.
If you are still in the process of the procedure and are a union member I would inform your local rep to accompany you at this meeting and get the issuing of a stage 1 overturned.
There are advantages and disadvantages of letting it run through to a stage 3 formal prompt where dismissal is being considered should you be unfortunate to reach this stage however I would attempt to have this kicked to touch at the stage 1.