ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Best way to do door2doors ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by themailman »

some guys are behaving like we are still getting a separate payment for door to doors.

wake up, that was 4 odd years ago. they are now part of your daily workload.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by Jpro747 »

toomuchcoke wrote:
feduppostie wrote:Forget about saving time!!!!

Do 20% a day exactly as they say you should FFS
So that's 20% on Monday, 20% on Tuesdays ... and 20% on Saturday for a grand total of 120% then? Ignoring that the moment, what about the frames which don't have a number of columns that divides easily by 5 (or 6 depending upon whom we're listening to ATM)? Should we be throwing in just part of one row of the column that we're supposed to be throwing in that day?

e.g. The rurals I do which only have 4 columns on the frame, do I take the simple option of 1 column a day or do 80% (or 66.67%?) of a column each day to spread it out "evenly" through the week?
There should be a sheet of paper pinned up next to the frame, with a grid of boxes which represent the "sections" on a RM2000 frame. The boxes should have numbers 1-6 representing each day (i.e. Monday=1 Tuesday=2 etc.). If the frame doesnt divide evenly by 6 then usually you have more sections to fill in on a tuesday, but less on wednesday.
jessicarabbit
Posts: 619
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 19:57
Gender: Female

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by jessicarabbit »

And then kiss goodbye to your full time job. Please stop being an ass we are paid to deliver these items I personally get sad when I don't have at least 4 contracts per week. When will people learn that D 2D equals jobs.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by aiden01 »

twincamms wrote:If you're asking the question from a commercial perspective, I'd say the best way to do your D2D is to put them straight into your DOs recycling bin, this would save the company millions, staff morale would increase, there'd be less injury due to less calls and lighter bags, and the end users would appreciate you binning the items for them, this is by far a most efficient and cost effective way of dealing with D2Ds................
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
thegreatestfreddy
Posts: 171
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 19:57
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by thegreatestfreddy »

nesting wastes time.... put them straight in the frame.... small to large... that creates a natural 'break' for each delivery point in the bundle....

they should be done that way anyway..!!
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by OnAFlyer »

thegreatestfreddy wrote:nesting wastes time.... put them straight in the frame.... small to large... that creates a natural 'break' for each delivery point in the bundle....

they should be done that way anyway..!!
Lol nesting wastes time, but sticking 7 lots of D2D in a frame one at a time then trying to get the mail in as well doesn't? :crazy:
AnotherLimey
Posts: 751
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:45
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by AnotherLimey »

twincamms wrote:
jessicarabbit wrote:And then kiss goodbye to your full time job. Please stop being an ass we are paid to deliver these items I personally get sad when I don't have at least 4 contracts per week. When will people learn that D 2D equals jobs.
Really? D2D secures full time jobs? So does DSA and all the other cack we deliver at a loss. You're talking tripe.....................
Are you for real? Jesus :d'oh!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

twincamms wrote:
jessicarabbit wrote:And then kiss goodbye to your full time job. Please stop being an ass we are paid to deliver these items I personally get sad when I don't have at least 4 contracts per week. When will people learn that D 2D equals jobs.
Really? D2D secures full time jobs? So does DSA and all the other cack we deliver at a loss. You're talking tripe.....................
So your argument is that with less work (no D2Ds) we will have the same number of staff?? Does D2D protect FT jobs, no I honestly don't believe it does, but at the very least it helps keep manning levels at a reasonable level. When they do try the slash and burn techniques they certainly aren't going to give up D2Ds as its a profit generator for Royal Mail.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by clashcityrocker »

I think it helps if you stop seeing D2D as purely a delivery issue.
There are jobs created for the sales people and jobs created in the bundling centres.

Does work protect jobs? Obviously.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by fishtank »

Doing D2D daily reduces scope for lapsing, It's a bit nuts to be trying to think of any way to do this job "quicker".
Do carry on though, I'm sure Moya will send you a thank you note with your P45. :wave
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

twincamms wrote:I still believe D2D is absolute trash.

The energy involved in designing, printing, boxing, sorting and delivering it is astonishing. Then the customer receives it and in most cases, bins it. This is an old fashioned 20th Century medium with a massive negative impact on the environment, from beginning to end all that D2D generates is waste.

These mailshots would be a lot friendlier for the planet and the Postie if they were sent by email so that you can just click trash/spam or if they must, use banners on social media and the like................

You can't defend this sort of environmental vandalism in the 21st Century, D2D is trash, full stop.
But you can say that about every letter we deliver, and in fact with call and collect it may be the same with parcels before too long. :nervous :nervous
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by rubberbond »

twincamms wrote:I still believe D2D is absolute trash.

The energy involved in designing, printing, boxing, sorting and delivering it is astonishing. Then the customer receives it and in most cases, bins it. This is an old fashioned 20th Century medium with a massive negative impact on the environment, from beginning to end all that D2D generates is waste.

These mailshots would be a lot friendlier for the planet and the Postie if they were sent by email so that you can just click trash/spam or if they must, use banners on social media and the like................

You can't defend this sort of environmental vandalism in the 21st Century, D2D is trash, full stop.
I am led to believe that 1 customer per 1,000 leaflets is a success. The mind boggles.
Still if they keep sending them I will keep delivering them, despite them being a pain,especially those stupid plastic bags. Which I was told were not allowed under the agreement, I may be wrong though,it does happen...on occasions
Last edited by rubberbond on 29 Dec 2014, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I don't think anyone's going to make you change your opinions Twincamm, and after all this is a Forum for Discussion.
The point you make is valid but as you also mention there's work there for Designers, Printers, Advertisers, Packaging and Us (because we do get a Delivery Supplement, although I'd certainly like that agreement Re-Visited for a better payment). :hmmmm

As I always say when a customer complains about me bringing all that crap... "Don't complain it keeps me and the Re-Cycling Guys in a job"! :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by dave72 »

20% a day (usually one column)

We get 20 minutes a morning for d2d prep before our mail turns up from the main office
thegreatestfreddy
Posts: 171
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 19:57
Gender: Male

Re: Best way to do door2doors ?

Post by thegreatestfreddy »

OnAFlyer wrote:
thegreatestfreddy wrote:nesting wastes time.... put them straight in the frame.... small to large... that creates a natural 'break' for each delivery point in the bundle....

they should be done that way anyway..!!
Lol nesting wastes time, but sticking 7 lots of D2D in a frame one at a time then trying to get the mail in as well doesn't? :crazy:


how often do we see 7 lots... more likely 2 or 3 and putting 7 items altogether in a slot (small to large laid out in front of you) is no different to picking up the 6 items and placing them inside a 7th (hence nesting) and then putting them in the slot.... I have a couple of relatives who have businesses local to where I work and they use our d2d service... to be honest I have been tempted to grass us up when I see them get nested.... if I owned my own business I would be absolutely furious to find it buried within someone else's advertising... that is not what is being paid for and is not adding value for them....